Book Club Spinoff - What Cha Reading?

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Girlfriend sent me the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Now that I'm back on the rig instead of partying every night in Singapore proper, I'll actually be able to read them. :-)
i before e except after a few beers

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:13 am

Picked up Sarah Glidden's graphic novel memoir How To Understand Israel in 60 Days Or Less, a recollection of her time on her Birthright trip, a fully-sponsored trip to Israel for young Jewish people out in the diaspora.

The accessibility of the novel is aided by Glidden's inability to take 'sides'. What she does, as someone going into the trip expecting to be bombarded by pro-Israeli propaganda, is dig past that and show a people that have actual, valid (for them) reasons for believing as they do, even if she (and the reader) don't always agree. That most people on both (all?) sides are, really, just looking for peace and trying to get by. This is not to say she ignores the uglier side of things; the section where they visit a Bedouin encampment, which has basically been turned into an Epcot center for tourists, is pretty powerful.

All in all, highly recommended. I tore through it over the course of a single day.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:01 am

On the subject of tearing through, I'm devouring If Chins Could Kill. S'great, but then I'm sure you already knew that.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 pm

I am reading "John Dies at the End".

hey! Spoiler alert, author David Wong!

He actually also dies around chapter 4 but ,well, doesn't take.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

dogmeat wrote:On the subject of tearing through, I'm devouring If Chins Could Kill. S'great, but then I'm sure you already knew that.

What would happen if they could?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

OMGBEES wrote:
dogmeat wrote:On the subject of tearing through, I'm devouring If Chins Could Kill. S'great, but then I'm sure you already knew that.

What would happen if they could?

I guess you'd have to read the book to find out. My hope is that Jay Leno would be put away for life.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Add Jimmy Hill to that list. Although more 'cause a colossal bore rather than chin crimes.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm not reading "the big short". or would have today if the batteries in my kindle weren't dead.

Jason Mustian

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

And that is why the Kindle fails.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:39 pm

i know this never happened with book

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 am

Just started reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (also wrote Seabiscuit). It's a true story about Louie Zamperini, who starts off life as kind of a waste, but after being prodded into taking up running by his brother and high school principal, ends up going to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin and even shakes Hitler's hand.

Later, he is drafted and serves as the bombadier in a B-24 bomber in the Pacific campaigns. Eventually, as it was described (I haven't gotten to this bit yet), his plane is shot down in the middle of nowhere and he, along with two other survivors, spend 45 days floating around the ocean on a raft. The sharks are constantly circling, and at one point a Japanese Zero comes across their raft and makes at least a couple passes at them, forcing them to dive in the water. With the sharks.

Anyway, really good book so far. Interesting even as a glimpse of the war in the Pacific, which seems like it gets overlooked a lot in favor of the European stories.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I got a kindle a couple of weeks as an anniversary present, i'm really enjoying the thing.

I just finished the Infinite Jest. I burned through it trying to finish it in time to discuss it with my brother. It's like one of 3 for leisure books that he's read in his life and we're going on a road trip this weekend.

My next read will either be something free from Gutenberg ( Count of Monte Cristo andThree Musketeers are contenders) or some trashy space opera like Praxis that a dude on the PA boards likes.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

dogmeat wrote:And that is why the Kindle fails.

It's actually awesome. I didn't realize y'all were talking about it when I made the post just above. The thing has great battery life and charges up quickly. Also it doesn't weigh a fucking ton and is slim, unlike a couple of books. I'm looking forward to increasing the size of my library not coming with the hit to shelf space requirements and eventual moving hassle.

Additionally, as I mentioned before, you have quick access to Gutenberg Project and can load up on public domain classics.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am

Yeah, I love my Kindle for exactly those reasons.

I grabbed the last Malazan book on the Kindle when it came out and then Emma bought it in hardcover not realising I'd already gotten it. It's so much easier to hold the Kindle one-handed when reading the 1500+ page monstrosity. I've tried, and can't even begin to hold the hardcover comfortably.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 am

one of us... one of us...

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 am

psh, Nook Color. Doubles as a decent cheap-y tablet. Also, it will have a Netflix app soon.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 am

At that point I would just get a netbook?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 am

Neh. Easier to read books on this. Also, Angry Birds.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 am

You can play angry birds on anything, it's not really worth basing a purchase decision on.

Buying a specialized device for general use fundamentally doesn't make sense, especially when the device costs $250.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 am

Plus the Nook colour doesn't use the pearl e-ink screen and just has a regular LCD, the sort of which makes my eyes hurt after a while. I can read my Kindle in bright sunlight for hours.

Return to “Deep Throats”