Book Club Spinoff - What Cha Reading?

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm reading David Simon & Ed Burns' The Corner. It's harrowing as you'd expect, but no less compulsive for it.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:48 am

Finished Dune (Muad'Dib is a jerk), and started "The City & The City" by China Miéville. I'm about five chapters in so far, and completely hooked. I went into the book with more or less a clean slate, which made the whole premise of the book that much weirder.

It starts out with a nice, uncomplicated murder mystery in the fictional city Beszel... and then hits Twilight Zone-like levels of insanity once they introduce the rival city of Ul Qoma. And then... well, you should probably just read it.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 pm

China Miéville is a great author, so I think I will take this up.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:37 pm

I am pretty into China but I have gotten a lot of shit on the Internet for it.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:22 am

OMGBEES wrote:I am pretty into China but I have gotten a lot of shit on the Internet for it.

Seriously? He's not well liked on the internet? I had no idea.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:25 pm

nobody_important wrote:
OMGBEES wrote:I am pretty into China but I have gotten a lot of shit on the Internet for it.

Seriously? He's not well liked on the internet? I had no idea.

is that sarcasm? i'm well liked on the internet.

On topic: I'm reading "The Family" by Jeff Sharlett
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Wheel of Time, book 3

The audiobooks are decidedly easier to deal with, although I'm still glad that wordy fuck is dead. I hope the last book is a five page pamphlet; I'll probably get the audiobook for that as well.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:45 am

Started reading 1001 Arabian Nights. The foreword and introduction made me feel a little like the inferior mouth breathers the translator rants against. I'm sorry if we can't ALL be the first Europeans to sketch the holiest of muslim temples without being executed and learn 40+ languages.
i before e except after a few beers

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:39 am

Pab, what was that book you bought while you were here? The title was a date and it was about future people transporting to some backwards redneck area. Or maybe the reverse.

Also, to anyone, I need help recalling a book. I can only give a very vague description of one part of a chapter, but maybe it'll click with someone.
The was this young boy (pre-teen, I think) and he was heading along a hill and came upon some trap or puzzle (maybe it was part of a weapon) on a gate. Or it may have been the ground. The book may have had large ants or something. I think it was a wide open land he was going across, perhaps to a castle or some other large building. Seriously, I have vague memories of such a book and it is driving me absolutely mad that I cannot remember more.
Okay, this is horrible. If anyone has an inkling, let me know. I realize it will probably be impossible.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:20 pm

The author was Eric Flint. 1632 was the first book. He's done a couple of follow ups to it as well, some of them are pretty good.
It was about a town in Virginia being randomly transplanted into the middle of the hundred years war in Europe.
i before e except after a few beers

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 am

I moved into the city for work for a while, which meant I usually got a seat on the train home and did more retro game playing than reading. Now we've moved a few stations closer to my house, which saves some time every day but means I am squashed into a swaying crowd of strangers each evening. On the plus side, I'm reading regularly again!

Bunyip recommends: Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. It's historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell, an advisor to Cardinal Wolsey and Henry VIII, among other things. Apparently Cromwell has got short shrift in most drama and fiction about the period. I read about this afterward because the book succeeded in making the whole period completely fascinating. All the characters have believable complexity and the events are suitably surprising (kind of glad I only had the vaguest idea of the history going in). Now I want to see "The Other Boleyn Girl" and possibly "The Tudors" although Kate Beaton's cartoon about that causes some apprehension.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 pm

I watched an episode of the Tudors and it was very soapy.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed May 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers annoys me intensely which renders The Tudors pretty much unwatchable for me.

Am close to finishing Garrison Keillor's We Are Still Married, it's great. Next up is Murakami's Dance Dance Dance.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm reading The Guild of Xenolinguists. I knew that I'd like it already, since I'd read some of the short stories ten or fifteen years ago in F&SF, but it's really making me happy. It makes me keenly aware of how hard it is to find good hard/soft, socially based, Le Guinn-style Sci Fi that isn't just all about sex.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:24 am

I just finished "Pillars of the Earth" by Follet. Really good, really epic. Not at all boring considering the premise.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:44 am

I had to teach my girlfriend's mother how to use the streaming Netflix so she could watch the miniseries of that.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 am

I read War and Peace!

Also: The Alchemist, Survivor, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Satanic Verses. I'm currently reading Lankhmar, by Fritz Leiber.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Finally finished up Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America by Matt Taibbi.

If this book accomplishes nothing else, it will have you in a mood to grab the torches and pitchforks, march on Washington, and burn the city to a cinder. Then salt the earth. Then you will want to take Alan Greenspan's corpse (conveniently speared on one of your pitchforks), and use it as an improvised club to beat every single person in the upper echelons of Goldman Sachs to death.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Finally finished up Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America by Matt Taibbi.

If this book accomplishes nothing else, it will have you in a mood to grab the torches and pitchforks, march on Washington, and burn the city to a cinder. Then salt the earth. Then you will want to take Alan Greenspan's corpse (conveniently speared on one of your pitchforks), and use it as an improvised club to beat every single person in the upper echelons of Goldman Sachs to death.

oh hey i just finished that same book, we're book buddies

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 am

YAY book buddies! ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

Return to “Deep Throats”