Book Club Spinoff - What Cha Reading?

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:24 am

OMGBEES wrote:You can play angry birds on anything, it's not really worth basing a purchase decision on.

Buying a specialized device for general use fundamentally doesn't make sense, especially when the device costs $250.

No it doesn't, and if I had based 'purchasing' it on either of those things, I would have shot myself immediately afterwards for being very, very stupid. The Angry Birds thing was what I thought was an obvious joke. I do mostly use it for reading; the internet functionality and apps are just icing on the proverbial cake, though the app selection is still extremely limited.

At any rate, I got it as a Christmas present. So I paid precisely nothing for it, and am perfectly pleased with it.

SporkAndrew wrote:Plus the Nook colour doesn't use the pearl e-ink screen and just has a regular LCD, the sort of which makes my eyes hurt after a while. I can read my Kindle in bright sunlight for hours.

For myself, I haven't had any issues with reading for extended periods of time on an LCD; one would hope not with as much time as I spend on a computer already. As far as sunlight issues go, I can read it fine in moderate sunlight and generally don't go out of my way to read in really bright sunlight too often, so that's not an issue.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:26 am

I just said fuck it and bought a Xoom.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 am

Just started reading A Game Of Thrones.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:08 pm

I burned through GoT, CoK, SoS and I got 80% of my way through FfC whilst on holiday these past two weeeks.

I'm enjoying it, and really loving having it on my Kindle rather than 1000+ page paperbacks.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Jesus, and people tell me I burn through books. :)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 am

There was nothing to do but sit and read in the shade. Or lie in bed in the air conditioning and read. Or lounge on the couch and read.

It wasn't a very productive 12 days but it was great.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 am

Just finished a Feast for Crows this morning and noticed something in the appendix mentioning that this was only half of one book, with "A Dance with Dragons" coming "next year." That note was written in 2005.

Am I going to have to wait 5 more years once I finish DwD for the next installment?

I normally wait until book series are finished because I can't be doing with waiting years for the next one.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 am

SporkAndrew wrote:Am I going to have to wait 5 more years once I finish DwD for the next installment?

Probably!

Actually a lot of the delays came from major restructuring and I think he's happy with where he's going for now (some of the next book is already written due to removing scenes from DwD), plus the TV series might put on some pressure to get the story done. I've been waiting that 5 years for DwD and I'm probably going to have to read the last 2-3 books again before I read the new one.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am

Oh well, I'm patient. If they manage to keep up a TV series a year then that'll go towards filling in the time waiting for it.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Finally finished up Game of Thrones; took way longer than it normally would, but distractions being what they are... anyway. Really, amazingly well done, and I absolutely loved it right up until *spoiler* Joffrey takes the Iron Throne, and there's this whole sequence with him handing down sentences to various accused people brought before him. Up to this point, the 'villains' of the story had been, mostly, nuanced, well-written, well fleshed out characters themselves. But as soon as it got to this point in the story... the first thing that came to my head after this sequence with Joffrey was Alan Rickman's Sheriff from Robin Hood: Prince of Theives. "Because a spoon is dull, it'll hurt more!" Joffrey makes for such a cartoonishly evil villain, especially when compared to other people in the book. "Fight to the death over a parcel of land! You can keep your fingers or your tongue! Your lover was a traitor, so are you! Sansa, let's go look at your father's decapitated head on a spike! And then, when you don't want to, I'll have my asshole knight slap you around!" When compared to the rest of the novel though, this is really a niggling complaint.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm

SporkAndrew wrote:I normally wait until book series are finished because I can't be doing with waiting years for the next one.

I'm the same, which is why I refuse to start reading Wheel of Time until the damn thing is finished. My fiancee introduced me to some other Brandon Sanderson books, Mistborn series, Elantris and Way of Kings, which is an enormous book and the first in a series, damn her black heart.

She also bought for me some Heinlein books that I read only recently. Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Glory Road, which I only recently finished. I enjoyed them all for different reasons and would be very happy to discuss them.

Got a Kindle headed my way too, not sure when it will arrive, possibly November?
i before e except after a few beers

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Read a few books recently, some from Christmas, others from a workmate that had about 11 thousand e-books on his computer. I've spent a lot of time removing the duplicates and misnamed files and got it down to 8000 or so. Still got a long way to go. :-/

Anyway, read:
Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson: Set 300 years after the rather excellent Mistborn Trilogy. The world has been mixed up a little since then and instead of the mundane fantasy of the first book, we get to see how things work in the early industrial era. Some great characters but overall it feels a little too short. No idea if the story is going to be continued or not either.

Snuff by Terry Pratchett: This was such a breath of fresh air after the drudgery of Unseen Academicals (a book about playing soccer, and an orc). This one has Sam Vimes going to the countryside for a vacation and discovering a TERRIBLE SECRET. The treatment given to the goblins seems a tad formulaic but the signature Pratchett humour shines through.

Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Back: Somewhat short story about the goal of a lone seagull to become the best at flying that he can be. Inspiring.

Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs: I hadn't heard anything about the Barsoom series by Tarzan author Burroughs until earlier this year. It was mentioned throughout a Heinlein book at a number of points. Full of adventure, exploration, lots of fighting and a princess that needs rescuing. Quite a busy man that John Carter, I look forward to seeing what Disney make of the story with their big budgets, big name actors and CG.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:37 am

I am finishing up Yahtzee's Mogworld. From there I will go on to Flora Dares, the sequel to Flora Segunda, which was my favorite book in a very long while.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Got a great Gollancz collection cheap. Have already read Flowers For Algernon, never read it at school. Am tearing through Do Androids Dream... for the first time in about 20 years, I'd forgotten how great it was.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

It's pretty awesome.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Wow, Hyperion and the Book of the New Sun. Nice.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm absolutely loving The Lies of Locke Lamora, written by a Wisconsinite. I recommend you read it, it's a delight.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Is anyone on Goodreads?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm not, but I may have to be.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat May 05, 2012 11:50 am

I haven't really been reading much, but I hope to rectify that soon. I ordered these from amazon:
  • Dark Tower 8
  • The Samurai Sword: A Handbook
  • The Book of Five Rings
  • Ready Player One
  • The Zombie Combat Manual: A Guide to Fighting the Living Dead

Return to “Deep Throats”