Book Club Spinoff - What Cha Reading?

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 pm

hobokenbob wrote:
that's a good book. I picked that up when I read that someone I really liked was influenced by his work and now I forget who it was. I enjoyed it immensely, even though some of it was so out there compared to what I'm used to several stories needed a re-read.

Gene Wolf's the Urth of the New Sun? That's the highest profile Vance-influenced series I can think of.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Bunyip wrote:Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

900 pages about cryptanalysis, and still riveting.

Seriously. That book has no right to be as good as it is. The only other Stephenson book I've ever read is Snow Crash, which is also pretty damn awesome, but I've heard negative things about a lot of his other stuff...until his latest, Anathem, which is apparently very good.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:37 pm

I picked up Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running the other day. I guess I should start reading it soon.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:24 pm

OMGBEES wrote:
hobokenbob wrote:
that's a good book. I picked that up when I read that someone I really liked was influenced by his work and now I forget who it was. I enjoyed it immensely, even though some of it was so out there compared to what I'm used to several stories needed a re-read.

Gene Wolf's the Urth of the New Sun? That's the highest profile Vance-influenced series I can think of.

nope. no matter, the point would be to suggest that its a good meaty chunk of high fantasy for those who dig that sorta thing
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 pm

There's actually an author who is writing stuff in ages past the Dying Earth stuff now. He was publishing short stories of it in F&SF, but I can't remember his name.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:50 am

Bunyip wrote:All these books are great:

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

900 pages about cryptanalysis, and still riveting.

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance

This is a compilation of all 4 Dying Earth books, which are themselves mostly compilations of individual stories. I love the dreamtime/tall tales/picaresque/whatever feel to these stories, especially the Cugel books (Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga). This influenced pretty much everyone.

Yay, you read Vance. I love his stuff. You should also check out Alastor. It's some good shit.

A lot of Vance's ideas made their way into Dungeons & Dragons and other stuff.

Best I can tell our tastes line up pretty well. I think you're the only other person that enjoyed Already Dead.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:01 am

Our tastes line up too! I'm cool! I'm cool!
Last edited by OMGBEES on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:05 am

hobokenbob wrote:I picked that up when I read that someone I really liked was influenced by his work and now I forget who it was.

Possibly Gaiman, though there's plenty of candidates.

Dynagrip wrote:I think you're the only other person that enjoyed Already Dead.

It just occurred to me that that story is similar to No Country For Old Men (the movie) in a lot of ways. I haven't read the book, but after The Road I think I'm going to make the effort to find a copy.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Last night I picked up Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson at Bunyip's recommendation. Will start it as soon as I blow through Graveyard Book (thanks bees).

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Thumbs up big guy!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:52 am

Going to start reading Dead Until Dark, the first in the Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (on which the HBO series True Blood is based) as soon as I finish up with Tom Clancy's Without Remorse.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 am

Have been reading Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days. Excellent stuff.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:04 pm

I just finished Audacity of Hope by some guy named Barack Obama. Surprisingly good for a politicians book. Thanks again to the secret santa who gifted it to me earlier this year.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:42 pm

I am reading Pet Sematary. It may be too soon after Jack died, but maybe not since they incinerated his body rather than burying him in the secret indian burial ground aka. zombie factory.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 pm

I am reading a Christopher Moore book called Lamb, about Jesus's best friend Biff. It is fine. I don't feel very strongly about it either way.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Just finished reading Outliers and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Pretty good and quick reads.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:41 am

Was looking for a book to get from the library, so I perused this thread and came away with several that I plan to read. Today I got House of Leaves.

Addendum: weird so far...

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Kauser wrote:Just finished reading Outliers and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Pretty good and quick reads.

I really enjoyed blink, and just bought tipping point for my kindle, may just get outliers as well when i'm done with that.

ooh.. tipping point is talking about the monkeysphere. i love thinking about monkeyspheres.
Last edited by hobokenbob on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 pm

I just plowed through tipping point yesterday. In the afterward he has an interesting theory on school shootings that doesn't involve video games.

Outliers was the one that I started with (very good book). Never heard of the author before that. The book just caught my eye about a month ago in B&N
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm

For House of Leaves, I'm toying with the idea of taking notes on post-its, like translating some of the foreign language phrases. But some of them will be real and some of them will be made up. And then when the next person checks it out from the library, it'll be like another layer to the madness.

Return to “Deep Throats”