On the election, and stuff.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Eolh wrote:Full Disclosure: I used to watch the Senate and House every day on internet CSPAN.

That is generally where you'll see most of the infighting.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Kauser wrote:
Eolh wrote:Full Disclosure: I used to watch the Senate and House every day on internet CSPAN.

That is generally where you'll see most of the infighting.

You see a lot of clashing between the parties in congress, true, but you rarely see a party fight amongst itself in public. Usually once a party caucuses and decides a course of action it is a bad idea politically for a member of the same party to speak out against it. That's not to say it doesn't happen, because it does, more often with the Dems than the Repubs, but nothing like the arguments between differing factions in parliamentary governments.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Generally True, When something that blatant happens it winds up being on the news. Like Lieberman telling the Dems that he was running as an Indy.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 am

That's been one of the best shows this election cycle, watching him backpedal.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 am

OMGBEES wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Canadian politics seem a lot more complex than US....?

Well I believe you guys is a bit more straight forward. At least you get to actually vote for who you want to be president while we just elect MPs in our riding, each MP who gets voted in gets a seat in the House of Commons and the party with the most seats won gets to govern and traditionally the leader of the party gets to be PM.

--semi explanation ---

I think its harder for a 3rd political party to break into the states because you have different funding rules. Up here each vote a party gets earns that party $1.95 so in essence theres public funding of political partys to ensure the funding is not just from private backers IE big business.

Your president is your head of state while we have the Governor General, shes the Queens rep. Shes kinda of a plan B. If a majority government gets into power shes really not needed, but in the case of today we have a minority government, the Conservatives only got 33% of the popular vote and they are in power. But since the opposition combined got 67% of the vote, if the ruling party doesn't try to get along with them well the government falls. When that happens the GG usually calls another election, but if its just a few weeks since we had an election, the GG can ask the opposition if they can get the confidence of the house and if so they get to rule ... ok yah that probably bored the hell out of you.

/ explanation

[rant/anger!!]

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/ ... -jean.html

He actually did it. That chicken shit of a prime minister stopped parliament from having a vote. A vote that would have cost him his job title. The economy is in a mess, people are worried about their jobs and hes more concerned about just staying in power. Its unprecedented that a prime minister would get parliament shut down just to avoid a confidence vote. I taste bile in my mouth from this!!!

The country is flipping the fuck out.

I always thought it was weird that in the states some news stations use the word "liberal" like its a swear word. There seems to be deep divides and contempt between Dems and Republicans and its never really been that negative up here.

But since Harper its been changing. The new conservative party has made negative attacks ads normal up here which never really worked, normally that shit turns Canadians off ... ((totally back fired on the PCs back in the day when JC was running))

But this man is tearing the country apart from his attempts to keep his strangle hold on power.
Hes turning East against West.
French against English.

Nobody outside of Quebec likes the Bloc but god damn it they were elected by the people of Quebec and last time I checked they are still part of Canada and their voice deserves to be heard.

Harpers been lambasting the coalition for getting support from separatists. Which is a word he has chosen not to use until now. It carries alot of negativity with it, when you say separatist your basically calling someone a dirty son of a bitch who wants to break up the country. Usually he uses the word "nationalist" which he is still doing in his French addresses but to us English folk he wants to get our blood boiling and go for the easy Quebec bashing.

Alberta is pissed the fuck off. Out of all provinces it is the one with the most blind party loyalty. Its our Texas so I bet you can guess who they’ve sided with.

I just can't believe this bs is going to be put off till January because our glorious leader is afraid of democracy.

And now we'll be subjected to propaganda and attack ads from the conservatives. They never try and get their message across that their policies are better. Its just dirty partisan attacks ......

I always felt sorry for the yanks having to put up with that shit during the Bush era and I never dreamed, I never thought for a second anything like that would happen up here.

But here it is.

When the shit hits the fan it sure as hell stinks.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 am

On the plus side, maybe with a little sanity down here, it might leak up north? The way Bush leaned on your government in the past?

Thanks for the explanation, BTW.

Oh, and the first order of any power is self-perpetuation.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 pm

I was looking through the US constitutional amendments, just for shits and giggles. It took over 200 years for the 27th amendment to get ratified, now that it is, it's basically useless.
No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

No payrises for congress until after the next election, ok? But wait! It doesn't cover Cost of Living Allowances so they effectively get a payrise every year.
i before e except after a few beers

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm

pablo banquo wrote:No payrises for congress until after the next election, ok? But wait! It doesn't cover Cost of Living Allowances so they effectively get a payrise every year.

Well Cost of Living is a deterministic amount that isn't exactly abusable (unless congress is fucking up the economy simply to get minimal wage adjustments). No, the real reason it's pointless is because 99% of all congresspeople are independently wealthy.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Jon Stewart is pure comedy gold during presidential lame duck season. Just a shame we don't get a simulcast here, instead having to wait a day for the previous edition.

Return to “Deep Throats”