On the election, and stuff.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Yes it was - fascinating!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:55 pm

This McCain volunteer seemed not to get the message about running an honorable campaign.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27350530/
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:52 am

She sounds like a messed-up kid. Man. I knew this election was driving some people to do some crazy shit, but wow.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Two words: Project Mayhem.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:31 am

Heh. If only. So long as the news stories about it don't end with a flash of Brad Pitt's penis.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:08 am

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh no. I know what you're doing. No. Not again.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Come again? I can't recall posting political op-eds from well-respected sci-fi authors up to this point, but maybe my memory is a bit faulty.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:34 pm

I'd argue the "writes good sci-fi" bit. In my mind he wrote two good books in the '80s (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead), and I've enjoyed nothing else of his I've read.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:37 pm

I won't argue that point; I've honestly not read enough of his books to form an opinion one way or the other. But his name seems to be pretty synonymous with sci-fi, he gets name-dropped a lot, etc. That's all I meant by "well-respected".

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:32 am

My own response to the OSC piece:

Note: This post will mostly be free-form responses conducted as I'm reading the article, and should be taken as such.

The fact that Card starts off by blaming Fannie May and Freddie Mac for the debacle, when even Alan Greenspan has acknowledged that the failure of those two organizations were not the main cause or even all that major a factor, speaks volumes already. Direct result, my entire ass. It was one of a number of factors, not the least of which were a dire lack of regulatory oversight and a ridiculously convoluted loan / insurance structure which seemed almost inevitable in its failure. Not to mention that I get instantly suspicious whenever an article feels the need to start off with "Well, this person is really a Democrat / Republican, and look look, they're criticizing their own party, so you should take what they're saying as being doubly true."

...Oh, come off it. Fannie May and Freddie Mac were giving money to EVERYONE. It's utter nonsense to pretend that both sides of the political aisle were not seeing some of that action. Card deftly skips over that little nugget, however.

And really, imagine that, organizations to help people achieve one of the main things that's been touted as a major part of the American Dream, owning your own home? Touting stats that say 35-40% of the loans that went bad were from these assistance programs ignores the 60-65% that didn't.

Thomas Sowell? Seriously? That guy is a clown. He'd blame liberals for AIDS if he thought he could get away with it. This is not a person to cite if one wishes to gain any traction with me in terms of intelligent observation. I mean, speaking of yellow journalism, hello...

This whole article is predicated on the notion that Fannie May and Freddie Mac and their bad loans to bad people are to blame for the entirety of this crisis, a notion that is ridiculous on its face. Nonetheless, I shall continue on through to the end.

I still have not seen any clear evidence as to whether Obama solicited the money from Raines, or if Raines donated the money, or if he even donated the money directly to Obama or that the money was actually donated to the DNC, who are ostensibly in charge of Obama's campaign and not likely to turn down money. Gasp and shock, there's lots of money in politics. It takes lots of money to run a national campaign, unfortunately. You'll have to excuse me while I go find some other equally shocking bit of info, like perhaps that the sky is blue.

All CEO's make lots of money, and all CEO's are likely to spread that wealth to politicians that they imagine might help them in the future. What, is it Obama's fault that the guy made "90 million while running the company into the ground?" Why don't we blame the retards who made the contracts in such a way as to make that possible?

Card seems to be under the impression that he's got a tree trunk here to swing at Obama, when it more closely resembles a toothpick. If you want to argue about whether Obama would have supported these things had he been a Senator at that time, then fine, let's have that discussion, but to both mention that this rule change occurred in the late 90's, blame it entirely for the current mess, and then try to glue that mess to Obama and the Democrats alone (and especially to Obama, who I believe was in his now-famous 'community organizer' phase) is patently ridiculous. Also... what was that phrase? Ah yes, 'yellow journalism'.

Wow. These last few paragraphs seem to be nothing so much as a load of right-wing rhetorical talking points. Not sure there's much to answer to here.

Oh wow. Now the bullshit is getting deep. "Even though Bush never said there was a connection between Iraq and 9/11?" Are you fucking serious, Card? Do I really need to yank up the several minutes worth of video of him or others in his administration doing EXACTLY THAT?

I can't even take this seriously anymore. This article is, in all honesty, and in as non-partisan an opinion I can muster, a complete and utter, poorly-researched, talking points memo mess.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:18 am

Eolh wrote:I'd argue the "writes good sci-fi" bit. In my mind he wrote two good books in the '80s (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead), and I've enjoyed nothing else of his I've read.

He did more than just that - Songmaster is good, too, and Wyrms and Treason were okay when I was young. Ender's Shadow was good but that series petered out pretty fast. (HA! PUN!) The Alvin books were kind of meh. But everything he's done since his "spiritual awakening" has been shit.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

oh man if you want a good laugh you should read his book Empire.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:29 am

So, 3 days till election, I ran up the numbers to see where things sit. I think it's safe to say that unless we hit a "dead girl, live boy" problem, nothing is going to change much for either candidate, and turnout will be the last thing to swing it either way.

Right now, it looks like Obama has 243 essentially guaranteed electors to McCain's 142.

States to watch:

Colorado(9), Florida(27), Georgia(15), Indiana(11), Missouri(11), Montana(3), Nevada(5), North Carolina(15), North Dakota(3), Ohio(20), Pennsylvania(21), and Virginia(13). These states comprise 153 electoral votes. Barack Obama needs 26 of these to win and John McCain needs 128 (a tie is a win for Obama).

Technically speaking, Pennsylvania, at this point is safe for Obama, but McCain pretty much needs it (and Florida) to even hope for a victory and polls there have been tightening a little bit over the last week, so I'm throwing it up on the "states to watch" list for election night.

Things are looking very good for Obama. Other than a huge bombshell scandal, I believe the only thing that will win the election for McCain is Democratic complacency, massive voter fraud, or some combination of the two.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:34 am

Or Thor.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:37 am

OMGBEES wrote:Or Thor.

I consider Thor to be in the same category as the House of Representatives tie-breaking vote; securely in Obama's corner.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:57 am

No way. Thor likes to use Mjolnir to smite his enemies from on high, so he is similar to Palin in that regard. Only she uses a rifle, and considers woodland creatures her foes.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:34 am

Also, when Thor rubs Mjolnir, it gets bigger. Palin's moose-hunting shares the same striking similiarity to masturbation.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:03 pm

Eolh wrote:Right now, it looks like Obama has 243 essentially guaranteed electors to McCain's 142.

States to watch:

Colorado(9), Florida(27), Georgia(15), Indiana(11), Missouri(11), Montana(3), Nevada(5), North Carolina(15), North Dakota(3), Ohio(20), Pennsylvania(21), and Virginia(13). These states comprise 153 electoral votes. Barack Obama needs 26 of these to win and John McCain needs 128 (a tie is a win for Obama).

Technically speaking, Pennsylvania, at this point is safe for Obama, but McCain pretty much needs it (and Florida) to even hope for a victory and polls there have been tightening a little bit over the last week, so I'm throwing it up on the "states to watch" list for election night.

I'd put Colorado solidly in Obama's column. There's already been a lot of early ballots in and Obama has a huge, huge lead and he's creaming McCain in the polls; that would drop Obama to 17. That means Obama could lose Ohio, Pennsylvania, NC and Missouri and still win with Nevada and Virginia.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm

i don't know why people make a bg deal of moose hunting. new englanders are known to hunt the moose, on occasion. shooting wolves from a chopper though, wheres the fun in that?

Jason Mustian

Return to “Deep Throats”