On the election, and stuff.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:29 pm

dogmeat wrote:Obama taking 8 previously Republican states was somewhat awesome. :)

somewhat awesome is an understatement: Indiana?!? Virginia? Maybe even North motherfucking Carolina? No one expected that, except maybe his campaign.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Miel wrote:Did these people make the same type of comments when Bush lost the popular vote but still won the presidency?

no but they were the same people that tried to de-legitimize Clinton's victory because he didn't win 50+ % of the popular vote (because of a 3rd party candidate taking some).

it's essentially the same mindset that leads to the"real america" talk.

Which just got "real small".
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I worry that the rebuplicans that are left will be so sour about all of this that they will employ a scorched earth polcy of trying to block just about anything dems try to do to fix the shit that needs fixing.

I also worry that Pelosi and Reid are so partisan they would gladly run roughshod over what's left ot the republicans and go so far left as to completely blow the capital they have on retarded social issues.

I hope Obama will be an effective enough leader to be able to reach out to the former and get them on board the issues that matter, and leash in the latter; recognizing that the country really does need a centrist bi-partisan approach to fixing the problems at hand.

I was watching Olberman and Maddow last night and frankly the moments when their gloating and smug attitudes got the better of them sickened me. They may have been entertaining and even served a good counterpoint to fox news, but it's time to set that aside. As one guest who was a bit more mature than his host pointed out, we can't afford to have the national discourse be about left/right anymore, it needs to be about forward and backward.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:20 am

Ok, since I've been (mostly) without internet for the last couple weeks, I'd like to jump in late and say Yay. :D

Anyone else find the commentary on McCain's concession speech... well, basically, the commentary on all concession speeches a bit tired? It was very "gracious"? Really? What did they expect him to do, come out on stage and say "Man, fuck Obama, he's a douche!"

Favorite moment of the night (well, beyond the whole 'Obama winning' thing): Karl Rove on Fox News commenting on what Obama's electoral total would be if he lost Ohio, and how good a position that would put McCain in, only to be interrupted and told that Ohio had, in fact, just been called for Obama.

Awesome news of the day: I actually had to wait at my polling place. I live out in the sticks, and have never, ever had to wait to vote. I stayed up until and got there right at 7 when the polls opened, and still had to wait about 45 minutes.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Boston.com does this great photo essay thing called the big picture. This one's on our next president, and it is pretty cool.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/1 ... _unit.html

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:23 am

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:01 am

I was kinda hoping McCain would win, just because I'm bitter that Harper won up here (well if you can call getting a minority government AGAIN and wasting 300 million tax dollars winning) so I was hoping the states would be stuck with someone crappy too.

But hey someone decent won, congrats. When Obama was giving his speech was anyone else thinking ... please don't get shot.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Tweeg wrote:
But hey someone decent won, congrats. When Obama was giving his speech was anyone else thinking ... please don't get shot.

only all of us.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:56 pm

I could see the bullet proof shields, and it didn't look like there were any helicopters.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm

None of those numbers seem particularly compelling. Really, the only part of that graph that's surprising is that big drop back in the nineties.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 am

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:59 am

Damn it! And the kool-aid tasted so good, too!

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I feel bad for the kid at the end of that video.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah, that kid is gonna be pretty messed up.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:34 am

10-1 he ends up in a foster home after they discover mom's crack supply.

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 am

Think I'll just rant here for a second. Been pissing off some conservative hicks over on facebook which might not be toooo smart since when I post my picture is displayed. I am famous after all and anyone in Canada will be like hey that Tweeg over on Main St lets go kick his ass.

Another election may be coming, which is funny cause its been just a couple of weeks since the last one.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/ ... talks.html
This puts American politics to shame.

We're about to bring down the government, and form a coalition with the help of ((I wonder if hell froze over)) the Bloc ((separatists BLAHHH!!)). And now theres word that the conservatives have been secretly taping NDP caucus meetings, which smells like something Nixon would have done.

Crazyness. In the middle of a economic crisis we have quite the political one brewing. All because Emperor Harper didn't want to get along with the opposition. Ahhhhhh poor babys not going to be Prime Minister after December 8th, just because he can't play well with others.

I am so glad that American ass kissing, western conservative hick is on his way out.

I would rather have Bush as Prime Minister up here than this guy. Cause I'd rather have the real deal than some cheap wantabe.

All we need now is our own "Obama" but meh anyone will be better than Harper.

The worst thing that came out of this is the Conservatives are crying bloody murder.

1 Because the Liberals and NDP are getting in bed with the Bloc but really Harper has been in bed with them before, if anything the Liberals and NDP are just getting his sloopy seconds.

2. they think its against the will of Canadians ... because we picked a minorty government.

And thats not how it works. People don't WIN minority governments. If you form a minority government thats basically saying well the Majority of Canada didn;t vote for us but they hated us the least.
A minority government has to get along with the opposition. That way the majority of Canadians who didn’t vote for them didn't just waste their vote. Its pretty simple all you have to do is "work" with the opposition so your no longer representing a minority you are now representing a majority and you can rule. If you don't play nice ... well since the opposition combined would have the majority of support/seats. You get your ass tossed from the House of Commons and are no longer prime minister.
And then its back to a new election

OR in this case ((fucking hopefully))
The Governor General asks the opposition if they can get the confidence of the house. And in this case the Liberals + the NDP with the Bloc backing them can have it so we will not have to waste another $300+ million dollars on a election.

We can get rid of Diet Bush and get things back to normal around here.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:57 am

GG = The Queen
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 am

Am I crazy for thinking that Canadian politics seem a lot more complex than US....?

Well, Tweeg, at least you guys aren't at war with Iceland again. I feel bad for that country right now....

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 pm

OMGBEES wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Canadian politics seem a lot more complex than US....?

The public face of it probably is. With a two-party system essentially written into government, coalitions and such are never public. In US politics that shit all happens in secret. You end up with a lot more infighting in the parties themselves. US politics is extremely complex but the average citizen sees almost none of that.

Full Disclosure: I used to watch the Senate and House every day on internet CSPAN.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Return to “Deep Throats”