All the news. All the stinking, horrible mainstream news.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

All the news. All the stinking, horrible mainstream news.

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri May 02, 2008 5:13 am

http://www.newshounds.us/2008/04/30/oli ... merica.php

In the second-to-last segment of an entire Hannity & Colmes show devoted to Rev. Jeremiah Wright last night (4/29/08), convicted liar Oliver North (his conviction was later overturned on appeal) joined race-obsessed Sean Hannity in the Rev. Wright pile-on. Instead of the racial angle that Hannity harps on, North accused Wright of being “a recruiting camaign for Al Qaeda and all the enemies of America.” With video.

Seriously, Mr. North?

Congrats to Colmes, by the way, for actually developing a spine and standing up to your co-host for once. I'm sure this new spine will inevitably recede back into your asshole where it had seemingly taken up permanent residence, however...
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:53 pm

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Gingrich_ ... _0529.html

Interesting bit of insight into how Newt Gingrich's mind works. They should've allowed an attack through occasionally to keep us frightened... :roll: Gotta love the people that get into positions of power.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:11 am

That's pretty Machiavellian.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 am

From the You've got to be fucking kidding me files comes this little tidbit: Fox News has suggested that the fist bump Barack and Michelle Obama gave one another after his victory speech last week was a "terrorist fist jab".

No, really. I couldn't make this shit up.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 am

goddamn liberal media
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm not sure hwo fox news based thread isn't in the pit.

Heres one that surprised even me. For real fox news? really?

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/0 ... s-payback/
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 pm

I think the distinction between the pit and the ministry ceased to be important four years ago, along with all traffic to those boards.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Everyone watch out when you're walking outside today and be ready to dodge for your life. It would literally be a day pigs fly that I would even partially be in agreement with Glenn Beck, well that day has come. He actually wrote a decent column so I'd say that's noteworthy - to bad he's a raving looney the other 364 days of the year.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/10/beck.r ... index.html

while I think he sugar coats some of the stuff in there, I share his sentiment in general; that for all of our problems I wouldn't trade being an American for anything and there is alot we get right, or at least as good or better than most. One day a year of celebrating the positives and not taking them for granted is a good thing.

However the timing of this article is somewhat off. July 4th should certainly have been a day of celebration, July 10th however, anything but. The 4th amendment took and awful beating and the democrats were as much a reason for it as any, Obama included. Kudos to the few dems who voted no on the FISA bill (Hillary Clinton among them), I really hope this gets revisted and soon.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 am

Eh... I can agree with the sentiment somewhat, but appreciating what the country offers too often leads to this:

Glenn Beck wrote:I chose to celebrate the fact that America is still closer to perfect than any other country in the history of the world."

Now, whether you think that's true or not will depend upon who you ask; I, personally, am inclined towards the latter. Good? Yes. The bestest evah? Debatable, certainly.

Our world-class universities don't require you to have an elite family name or Rockefeller-type wealth to get in.

It's certainly getting there. The federal college loan system has all but entirely shut down; and unless you were so bright throughout all of high school that you landed a free ride scholarship, you're going to end up with a massive amount of debt.

That said, Beck does make some decent, if fairly obvious, points. I'm not saying don't appreciate what your country does for you, but I do very strongly think that the sort of unexamined patriotism he's touting here is, well, bad.

hobokenbob wrote:However the timing of this article is somewhat off. July 4th should certainly have been a day of celebration, July 10th however, anything but. The 4th amendment took and awful beating and the democrats were as much a reason for it as any, Obama included. Kudos to the few dems who voted no on the FISA bill (Hillary Clinton among them), I really hope this gets revisted and soon.

Agreed. Obama kinda pissed me off with this one. If he had provided a decent reason for voting that way, I could understand, but he used that same bullshit rhetoric that Bush has been pushing for years; "if we don't have these laws, the TERRORISTS are going to kill us all," blah blah blah.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 am

I'm pretty upset with Obama, too. Has anyone seen a statement from him on it? I have some hope, no matter how thin, that he has a decent justification.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 am

I'm hunting for it myself, and I'll throw it out here if I find something.

I intend to email his campaign, but I don't hold out hope for getting anything more than a form letter in response.

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
Glenn Beck wrote:I chose to celebrate the fact that America is still closer to perfect than any other country in the history of the world."

Now, whether you think that's true or not will depend upon who you ask; I, personally, am inclined towards the latter. Good? Yes. The bestest evah? Debatable, certainly.

Do you honestly believe it's debatable? Like that there's actually a shred of evidence that the statement could be true? I mean, dont get me wrong, i'm not anti-USA. I'm not anti-american. I do joke about it as much as the next guy, but i dont believe it. hell, i have bad teeth and speak posh. But, "in the history of the world" is a hell of a statement to couple with "perfect"

Egyptians, for example, were methodical in their research, production and achievement. They were hugely advanced for their time. They had built entire pyramids (in themselves impressively advanced. perfect angles and geometry) that were used to map the constellations in the sky.

They could almost be likened to modern day Japan. Japan for example, is the worlds leading country in technology. It has a fraction of the crime rates suffered by the US, the UK and other "top countries". The general discipline of the japanese is quite astonishing.

How about places like Oman? Oman has a brilliant "ecosystem" of human life. People live in castes that exist coefficiently with other castes, trading and interecting with their different areas of expertese. Symbiants like that culture don't exist in ours.

The US is the superpower, for sure, verging on an empire. Empires are all driven by the same factor. Greed. The need to want it all. Wether it's land, resources, slaves, armies or bananas.. it's the need and want to have as much of it as possible. The Roman empire and the British Empire (cough the largest in terms of territory in the history of the earth. sorry, i have to throw in SOME needless patriotism) were both very successful, but they were far from perfect, and i wouldnt say that the US is currently any more successful than those two were in their prime.

Afterall, what is perfect anyway?

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Ugh. Ignore all that. Ive just read it back and it's a load of bollocks.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Nah it's fine. Patriotism generally doesn't come under that sort of scrutiny, even with logically absurd statements like that.

FYI, when I started reading this thread, the Deliverance theme started playing.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 pm

?

Did you guys think that TMCM was saying that the point is not debatable?

Did I read something wrong somewhere?

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

I think Dampcat, in his (later-regretted drunken?) post was suggesting that the point is not debatable because you can't reasonably argue that it's true.

As someone who has the choice to live in America and has instead chosen to live somewhere else, you can probably imagine that I don't agree that America is the closest thing to a perfect country. There are a lot of countries in the world! America does have a lot to celebrate but nationalism is generally pretty unhelpful.

Did you know one of the textbooks Janey was teaching from over there actually contained the words "America is the best country in the world"? True story! I think it was probably written in Colorado Springs though.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:30 am

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I always thought it was interesting the difference between the reasons given for the civil war in the north vs. the south.

Wisconsin: The war was fought to end slavery.

Florida: The war was fought to uphold a state's right to self-government.

I understand Dampcat's post better; I just generally read "that is debatable at best" as saying, "your reasoning here is questionable."

Also, someone just jumped the fence to get in our pool. I looked out my window and saw him doing it as I was typing this!

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am

I currently Live in the City of Lowell in the United States of America because that is where Moxie was invented, which is about as close to Nirvana as is possible for me.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 am

What about chutzpah?

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 am

Chutzpah sounds like it would be in New Mexico.

Return to “Deep Throats”