On Iran

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

On Iran

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:17 am

Things are getting to the point there where I think this warrants its own topic.

I just saw the most awesome bit of video on the Rachel Maddow show, where a group of militia men who answer to the revolutionary guard were approaching a group of silent protesters with what could only be unfriendly intent; this militia is believed to be responsible for many of the protester deaths that have occurred over the past few years.

I about teared up watching this video, it is that great.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#31416478

The relevant video starts at 3:55, but there is a cool bit about what how the Iranian soccer team is showing solidarity with the protesters.

Go Iranians go. :)
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 pm

It's been pretty amazing... I hope they can figure something out that doesn't throw the country into a permanent violent instability - obviously this fake democracy / theocracy plan has some serious problems.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:30 pm

One tangental thing this is doing is waking me up to the idea that twitter might be worth getting into, as the iranians are really making use of it for more than just logging in your eliminations.

This, also, was hilarious
http://crooksandliars.com/logan-murphy/ ... mpares-ira
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I love how its all the wests fault for the civil unrest there.

Hell even Canada was named as being a force of evil causing the citazins to riot.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/06/1 ... ng847.html

"Officials alleged many of the "deviant news sites" are being financed by American, British and Canadian companies and feeding the civil unrest."

Dang those yanks, fog breathers and canucks with their pesky freedom of speech.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Given that this situation has been 100% caused by the US, I would think some paranoia could be forgiven.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 am

Do you mean the current allegations of voter fraud, or are you going back 30 years to our interference helping to cause the revolution in the first place?
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:10 pm

an op-ed piece by an Iranian student:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/opini ... ted=1&_r=1

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Do you mean the current allegations of voter fraud, or are you going back 30 years to our interference helping to cause the revolution in the first place?

I mean the 30 years. I don't know if Western nations have been complicit in the voter fraud or not; I would suspect not, given that they don't want the current president to win.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm

OMGBEES wrote:
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Do you mean the current allegations of voter fraud, or are you going back 30 years to our interference helping to cause the revolution in the first place?

I mean the 30 years. I don't know if Western nations have been complicit in the voter fraud or not; I would suspect not, given that they don't want the current president to win.

who in america would even care who wins enough to rig anything? even the iranians will admit they're both career govt officials within the inner circle (Moussavi would not have been allowed to run if he wasn't). and certainly from the west's perspective: they all hate us anyway and we aren't talking to em, blah blah.

No one expected Moussavi to be a revolutionary, they just didn't like Ahmadinejad's mouthing off like a crazy person and running their economy into the ground. the people aren't rioting because they want a revolution from this government, they are rioting because they want respect from it, and the election fraud is being seen is pretty disrepectful to what little power they thought they were given by that government.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:10 pm

So, 30 years ago meaning installing the Shah (in which case 35-40 years might be more accurate)? Or the lynch pin that sparked the whole deal and allowing him inside the US?
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Installing the Shah is what I was referring to, yes; I can't speak for OMG. He may be referencing our handling of the hostage crisis directly. So yes, you're right, 35-40 would be more accurate.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:34 pm

After Alexander, the Parthians, the Arabs, Genghis Khan, and Iraq you'd figure that they'd be used to things by the time the US, Russia, and China tried it.

Realistically the US is just the current people trying to exploit them, and from what both history and current interactions seem to say, probably given up on. Operation Ajax which installed Pahlavi, after getting rid of Mohammad Mossadegh (it's actually CIA textbook now for regime changes, and was also used in Panama) being the most clear and present case. Even then its surprisingly too difficult to destabilize a country. Buy off some politicians and religious leaders, manufacture some crimes and a shitload of misinformation. Make everyone seem like a criminal, and make certain your guy has the least shit on him.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:22 pm

OMGBEES wrote:Given that this situation has been 100% caused by the US, I would think some paranoia could be forgiven.

Probably 80% is more accurate. Ajax was in retaliation to Russia expanding operations to Iran. The rest could be argued to be fallout from Ajax, or Carter toasting Pahlavi's humanitarianism, or allowing him inside the US, which lead to the embassy hostage situation, Delta's first operation yadda, yadda, yadda.

So mostly it's Jimmy's fault, and some dude named Kermit.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Why the fuck has the main stream media essentially stopped reporting on Iran all of a sudden? What's going on guys, you still revoltin? How's that going for you?

And now China!

I'm trying to figure exactly how many chinese muslims need to die before that's considered a bigger deal than Jacko's memorial.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 pm

NPR is reporting on it!

.... yeah.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:25 am

I think they finally realized that when Twitter feeds and word of mouth are all you have to go on, you pretty much have your thumbs placed firmly in your ass by a rough job named Mable.

Return to “Deep Throats”