Feedback? If you'd be so kind, my lovelies

Rules, tests, complaints, suggestions, and crackerbreads.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Feedback? If you'd be so kind, my lovelies

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:44 pm

Your site sucks! This place smells! You're a twat!

Hurrah. And welcome to the global democracy that is the interweb thingy.

Thing is, I'd really like to make the Citadel a decent place to hang out.

Not like your local wine bar on a Friday night - I'm not expecting acres of toned, firm, hot tottie flesh and a fucking expensive sickly drink (although hey - the more girlies the better, ne c'est pas?).

No, just a cool place to hang out.

Like your local arcade was when you were young (assuming you're now an old bastard like me).

I'd like the Citadel to be a bit like Arthurs was on "Happy Days".

Does that make sense? Hope so, anyway.

So, the point is, I'm a bit of a fuckmuppet most of the time and I'm going to get things wrong. I'm big on community (I hope you take the trouble to read the policy and rules elsewhere on the site) and so I really want to make this somewhere where you come along, join in, and make the whole thing go with a swing (daddy-O).

When we fuck up, tell us. When we massively get it right, tell us too.
When you have an idea that would make this a better hang out, tell us.

Tell us right here, in this forum. I won't censor any criticism - tell us what you think and maybe some good will come from even the bitterest vitriol. I'd rather you didn't slag us in the other forums - keep the feedback (good and bad) to this forum, and then I can identify it and take it seriously.

Sermon over, Robsoft out.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:33 pm

Autocropping for avatars. I'm still so embarrassed... or not. Kind of funny actually. He was HUGE.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:37 pm

Auto-resizing? Auto-cropping your image would've left like a small black square.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:26 am

Semantics, here we come. Yes you're right, autoresizing is the correct term.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

In regards to the policies...

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:07 am

I dunno rob, if I send you cash, I'd almost rather you spend it on booze and improved living conditions for your Thai love slaves.

But an actual serious question here. Since I'd rather send you money than someone who's likely to nuke any forum/message that apparently meets with his disapproval now *cough*, is there any way to do it besides Paypal? I don't conduct enough transactions on the internet to be bothered with paying money so I can pay others money, and I would honestly like this forum to last.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

TheIratePirate
Minister of Sermons

Postby TheIratePirate » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:24 pm

I think the forum is great.I really really like it.

But I miss an avatar
It changes everyhting
But in the wrong direction
It changes everything
And what we turn into
Love conquers all
But evil won today
D-A-D,It Changes Everything

halofyre
Minister of Sermons

Postby halofyre » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:08 am

Rob, I really like this forum software. The BBCode buttons are convenient and will cut down on a lot of whiny "how do i post my pic" questions.

I agree that image resizing for avatars would be nice. I haven't had a chance to resize mine yet.

Regardless, I think you've done a really good job of this... and we all really appreciate it. After a while though, i think it might be an idea to semi-close registration. Allow anyone to apply, but review all of the applications. See where they are coming from, who sent you, etc... One of the problems with the PA board was just... TOO MANY PEOPLE.

I would also suggest the automatic deletion of threads containing people whining for special titles, people wanting to be mods.

If you are looking for new mods, i think you might have a serious poll. Ask people to send suggestions or nominations, and then have a poll. Let everyone pick their poison.

That's all for now, but I think you're doing a bang-up job, Rob.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:32 am

*golf claps* Bravo..

Jat
Forum Jesus

Postby Jat » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:56 am

I want the ability to post polls.

Of course having a modhood would be a nice bonus.

BTW robby - pm me details of your recent in and outs with the white coats.

And any updates on that fine lady from your past.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:55 am

I suppose if you want to post a poll, you can write up the first post, complete with poll question and options, then send it to me or robsoft and we will post it on your behalf...giving you credit/responsibility, of course.

Jat
Forum Jesus

Is sure that robby trusts me enough moves to 'not lying'

Postby Jat » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:35 am

Yeah but that would be lame - and I think robby trusts me enough to give me the ability to do it.

Not to inflate my HUGE ego - but I was the first person to welcome and actively engage Robsoft in conversation while the pit of hate was still kicking.

And the proof of evidence is destroyed.

MWA HAHAHAA - I can make all the claims I can THINK UP!!!

(this one is true though, really - not lying)

Babbster
Lay-minister

Postby Babbster » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:27 am

I agree that image resizing for avatars would be nice. I haven't had a chance to resize mine yet.

I think that as long as people don't abuse the lack of resizing and/or can be quickly corrected by Bag or Rob, then we can live without it. Some avatars just need a little more space to realize their true glory...Of course, I could just be too partial to easy-to-see Yakko, Wakko and Dot. Maybe I should just be ignored...or shot...or ignored, then shot.
I am the king of using parentheses too often (evidenced by my signature).

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:11 pm

Babbster wrote:

I think that as long as people don't abuse the lack of resizing and/or can be quickly corrected by Bag or Rob, then we can live without it. Some avatars just need a little more space to realize their true glory...Of course, I could just be too partial to easy-to-see Yakko, Wakko and Dot. Maybe I should just be ignored...or shot...or ignored, then shot.

Well, you covered all the bases

"Kill it, or ignore it, anything else glorifies it."
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:05 pm

I know that in HTML you can specify an image size - so that the browser will resize the image on the fly. It may not cut down on the bandwidth (the entire image still needs to be loaded), but it can make presentation nicer. If there was an option to allow the size of the Avatar to be specified, people could automatically scale them down if they were too big.

chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion

Postby chickenlips » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:19 am

The thing that I just noticed, but absolutely love is that it keeps track of which threads have something new for me, no matter what computer I'm on. That's fucking cool. *thumbs up*

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:25 am

After PA I acually had to learn to trust that new-post colorization thing all over again. I had been so trained to ignore it that I didn't even notice it worked here until Bag pointed it out to me a day later. The fact that it works even when you change computers is so fucking amazing that mere words cannot do it justice. I guess the best I can do given the confines of the English language is to say, "it's pretty cool."

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:11 pm

It's one of my favourite features too. That and the neat PM system (you have all noticed that you can tell when someone's read your PM because it moves from the outbox folder to the sent folder, right? That's very nice indeed, and an improvement on the PA system where you had no idea if your recipient had ever gotten your message).

Oh, and the way that the thread 'review' you see when posting a reply is backwards - so the most recent message is at the top of the page. I love that, it's subtle I guess (I don't know how much people ever use that review window, I don't use it much myself) but it's damn handy when you're referring to points and you want to avoid blow-by-blow quoting of the previous message. At PA, it would always show you the first page of the entire thread, so it was almost completely useless once the thread had exceeded a "page" of posts.
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:59 pm

Rob wrote:Oh, and the way that the thread 'review' you see when posting a reply is backwards - so the most recent message is at the top of the page.
I use tha ta lot, because I have no memory and .. what was I saying? Oh yeah, I often decide to reply, then forget who I'm replying to and how to spell their name. That's great.

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:01 pm

The the thread "review" is great, esp. that it always shows the last 20 (?) posts, even if there are spread to two pages.
This is great if you wanna do post #2 on page 2 and refer to post #14 on page 1.
Get immortal, or die trying.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:02 pm

20 sounds about right - the forum software has been told to consider 20 posts a page, so I guess that it does this throughout the place, wherever a 'page' might be relevant....?

I dunno really. But 20 rings a bell. :D
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Return to “Feedback”