Available Themes

Rules, tests, complaints, suggestions, and crackerbreads.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Available Themes

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:29 pm

At present, I plan to support 3 themes here. I'm open to discussion about this, naturally.

You are encouraged to try the themes out and find one you like best. You can do this through your "profile" configuration, the link is at the top of every page. Unfortunately the themes don't change in real time, you need to go into your profile, pick a theme, submit the changes, get past the confirmation screen and then you'll finally see the effect of your change.

You can chop-and-change your profile around as many times as you like, it makes no real difference to anything or anyone.

The themes:

subSilver
This is the standard theme for our forum software, and as such it's always the theme that is "up-to-date" and "fixed" for each revision of the forum. At such times as I have to make serious upgrades to the forum software, you will probably find that I have forced your profile back to using subSilver. When this happens, you should wait until someone announces that the other themes are fixed, and then you can change back to your preferred theme.

subBlack
Luckily for the hardy power-users who favour this, it's actually closely linked to subSilver (you may have guessed from the name) and even luckier, it's popular enough amongst other phpBB fora that the developer keeps it fairly up to date. Once a forum update is done, this is the first theme that I will update and try to "fix".

(Both subSilver and subBlack will, at present, arrange themselves to best fit in the browser window).

SwiftBlue
This is a new theme, but one I picked for a number of reasons. Firstly, in some ways it's not too far removed from smartBlue. It's not as clean as smartBlue, but it's okay. It's still quite easy on the eyes. Secondly, it's being kept up to date (smartBlue isn't, at present). I can (and probably will) hand-patch smartBlue at some point but I don't have time to do it right now so if it ever happens and you liked smartBlue, consider that a bonus.

(SwiftBlue has one key difference over the other themes so far - it works on a fixed width arrangement. Some people with large screens may prefer this as it keep the reading length of each "line" to an acceptable level. Certainly in my experience, running at 1280x1024 full screen means that sometimes each line of text is quite long).

I hope this helps, and that no-one finds my impositions and assumptions too draconian. As ever, I encourage you to make comments and suggestions in here. :-)

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:10 pm

Oh, it just occured to me that I didn't make something clear.

All of these themes are "working" in the new forum software NOW, so if you prefer subBlack (etc), you can go and switch it over.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:55 pm

Actually, swiftblue annoys me. In the next few days (honestly) I'll take a copy of subSilver and play a little.

If anyone has a really strong artistic bent and wants to have a go at making a theme for the board (providing it's basically a skinning of subSilver/subBlack with just colour and image changes) then PM me and I'll try to get you set up with what you need to play.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:22 am

I think Pobtest should stay dead.
i before e except after a few beers

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:40 pm

If you could put up that smartBlue temporarily I'd LOVE to make one as close to that as possible while still being easily modded.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Noted. I'm out of the office right now, but will do something about later tonight if possible. And yeah, I need to sort you out some passwords and ip addresses etc. :-)

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:04 pm

I just realized I am not using subBlack. What the hell happened to it?

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:19 pm

I think it failed to survive a forum upgrade.

Sorry. :-(
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Return to “Feedback”