Gaming Threads

Rules, tests, complaints, suggestions, and crackerbreads.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Would a gaming-specific forum be an improvement?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Yes; I want a gaming forum and I want it now
56%
No; the place is fragmented enough now. Just get more conversations going.
25%
I don't give a shit. When do I get my 'Barge' prize?
19%

Total votes: 16

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon May 16, 2005 3:50 am

Dynagrip wrote:I think that WoW may have mortally wounded CoT. Good thing I've got other forums and LJ to keep me occupied.

Yeah, Mortal Strike is a pretty effective move.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Mon May 16, 2005 4:38 am

Yeah, best of luck everyone. See y'all around.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon May 16, 2005 7:36 am

Well, if it dies then it dies. :-(

I'll be very disappointed, but I can't force people to post here and I don't have the time myself to try and become some kind of all-engaging content provider. If I can't make the time, I can't expect anyone else to either. :-(

Perhaps it's run it's course now. Several of the high-post-count "regulars" have moved on (Square, Foo etc) and several of the other regulars have become somewhat less than regular (myself included I guess). Recently the only new blood we've been getting have been spambots (with a couple of notable exceptions).

I don't think it was WOW that did this, I just think that the WOW epidemic has brought the decline of the forum into sharp relief.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon May 16, 2005 8:52 am

Well, shit... I'd hate to see this place close down. There have been non-WoW posts, but they've mostly been the kinds of things that don't generate a lot of feedback (Random Pic/Random Caption, Link Depot, Word of the Day, etc...) There's nothing wrong with having them, but they can't sustain the forum on their own. The WoW threads, on the other hand, can lead to a lot of discussion because a lot of us are playing it, are having similar experiences, and want to talk about them. Yes, it's lame for non-players to read about running around a virtual world (and it's annoying for players and non-players alike to find WoW stuff in unrelated threads), but it allows us to chat about something, which I suspect is why they're so damn popular.

I pop in here and read stuff, but haven't really felt like I've had anything to contribute. I've been posting the random blog shit to my LJ instead of here since that seemed like a better place for it. It seems like other people are doing the same. Maybe we need one of those Chat Threads that seem to be popping up on every other forum, or something. I have no idea... just don't kill off the CoT.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon May 16, 2005 3:04 pm

Quite honestly, what is there here that stands out from any other forum?

Not too much sadly, mainly the mistanthropic conglomeration of aberrant humanity that reads and posts here.

That being said, there's a lot of stuff that seperates us. As for Dyna's assertion that WoW killed the forum; if it did, then only in that it's something that served to segregate a good portion of the forum.

People will only realistically read and post what they find interesting, and a lot of people find WoW interesting, however, a lot also do not, and since the threads that are moving are the ones WoW related, then you can only expect to see others slow down.

As for whether or not the CoT is actually on it's way out. No clue. I personally wouldn't put too much into losing Square, Foo, or anyone else that's posted here a while. The lack of new people coming in is somewhat of an issue, though we'd be in the same intellectual position if there was an influx of what was deemed way back in the mist of the "wrong people."

I guess that's just the nature of the beast.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon May 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Kauser wrote:That being said, there's a lot of stuff that seperates us. As for Dyna's assertion that WoW killed the forum; if it did, then only in that it's something that served to segregate a good portion of the forum.

It's not just the fact that we post about WOW. A lot of the time we would otherwise spend posting here is instead used to play and read about WOW.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Mon May 16, 2005 3:45 pm

That is a fair chunk of the regulars too.
i before e except after a few beers

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue May 17, 2005 7:13 am

I don't see why this becomes a big concern every now and then; I really don't see the Citadel going anywhere (in terms of non-existence, that is), unless Rob gets tired of paying for it during the slow periods.

This place hit a peak, and has since had its up and down swells. Part of the problem, and I've changed my opinion on this, is that we became too obsessed with sticking everything into bigassed massive topics.

I like it here, goddammit. I like you guys, I regret the ones that have left, but that was their choice I guess. I happen to enjoy misanthropic collections of humanity, especially when their nicks include bags of posteriors, people that aren't that important, and, well... Rob. :D

Lookee here. This forum was birthed as, and continues to be something of a common room for our kind. Like any group of people that hang around each other a lot, there are lulls in the conversation. And there's the group of people in the corner that talk, and talk, and TALK, about the same thing, until you want to spray them with something vaguely acidic. :twisted:

We need to try and start creating more Ministry topics. Given the right start, those usually generate a fair amount of talkiness.

Dammit, I'll keep this place alive by myself if I have to. Anybody wanna write the script to a comic to do with the half-life mod?
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:29 am

Rob wrote:Perhaps it's run it's course now. Several of the high-post-count "regulars" have moved on (Square, Foo etc) and several of the other regulars have become somewhat less than regular (myself included I guess).

I didn't move on. I just stopped moving.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:58 pm

Any chance of Couch Potatoing this thread?

Return to “Feedback”