Forum needs a home

Rules, tests, complaints, suggestions, and crackerbreads.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Forum needs a home

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm

In about 2 weeks time (last week of November), I'm going to lose electricity at our home for at least a couple of weeks. We're having a lot of construction work done on the house (we've moved elsewhere in the meantime) and we're reaching the stage where I can't run my office from the location any more.

I've looked at my other options and I simply can't readily host it anywhere while the office is down, so I'm faced with either;
a) telling you all that it's going to be closed down for anything between a fortnight and a month and hoping you remember to come back, or
b) asking someone else to host it, either temporarily or permanently.
c) starting a new hosting account with a company somewhere and then setting up the software & database all over again ...

I really don't want to go down the route of c) for time & money reasons, so I'm really looking at going offline for a while or passing it to someone else.

The forum at the moment is basically a fairly small VM running on a Mac Mini, although it could easily be just turned into a bunch of files and a MySQL database backup of course.

If anyone can help, PM me (or better yet, just email rob@robsoft.net as it gets my attention very quickly).

I'll keep you all posted, sorry to have to go through this - I've tried to leave the forum alone as much as I could but I don't have any easy way around this right now. I'm hugely constrained on free time these days so I really don't want to have to start setting up a replacement on someone else's server etc.
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

What does this thing take to run? MySQL and PHP?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Yup. We're pretty out of date here in terms of phpBB itself, I can possibly run the update process on the board Wednesday (13th) to get things spic and span on that front. But yeah, any 'modern' install of MySQL and PHP should do it.
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I've got space and a LAMP server which we can point any domains at.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Cool - I've got a trip away now until Friday, but Friday lunchtime I'll detail all the stuff that is on the server, and make an archive of the database and file structure (just to give you a sense of how big it is). Once we're happy that it makes sense to ship this over, we can take the board down, copy over the data and then I'll redirect the domain to you.

Which reminds me, I need to do something about the other things that hang off 'robsoftcloud.net'. Hmmmm.

Anyway, cheers Gobo - I'll be in touch again Friday.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

If it's just temporary you can throw that all up on my server too and just point robsoftcloud.net to it for the duration. I can give you FTP access if you need to get in and grab anything.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:54 am

Cheers Gobo - it's a bunch of stuff for one of my clients and he's going to take his stuff in-house next week anyway, so I'm 99.90% sure it's really just the CoT.

I say, 'just', there's not just about it, we're talking CoT here, but even so - yeah it's a MySQL database extract and a bunch of files. :-)

Really kind of you to offer to help like this, I'll have a go at making a backup etc tonight so I can give you some idea of file sizes and stuff like that.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Gobo - got your message on Facebook thanks, will chase this up asap. Thanks again!

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Well we got through the downtime - I hope we didn't lose anyone...?

In the end I lost the forum for a couple of days before I had a chance to punt it over to Gobo, so it went dark for a couple of days, and to be honest now things should run smoothly as all the electricity and infrastructure shit is done at the house, so until the next FUCKIN' CRISIS I guess it's fine where it is :-)

Sincere thanks to Gobo and sorry for cocking you about, old hoss.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

No worries, I can always be a vacation home for the forum if need be

Return to “Feedback”