Taking Care of Business

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:57 am

The weird guy at work wants to know the principal investors in the company that owns the company that owns our company, Madison Dearborn Partners. They're a private equity firm so it would take a lot of work. When I asked him why he wanted to know, he said he was just interested in "learning about the company I work for," and he didn't "see why that's unethical."

This kid, I tell you, absolutely baffling.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 am

I just bark about NDA and leave it at that.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:27 am

It just seems weird that in that istuation the first thing you would think about is whether it's ethical?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:31 am

Well, consider this, do you care whether it's ethical, or is it just that you don't want to get in trouble (worst case) or just be inconvenienced by the ensuing conversation (best case)?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 am

I just plain don't care. Why do I need to know which particular pension funds are investing in our owners? But the thing is: That's not an ethical question. It's like saying, "Do you know anyone who works at Walmart? I think it's ethical for me to ask that."

"Do you want fries with that? If I'm not being TOO unethical."

I mean, really, what?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 am

Personally I'm generally in a situation where I just would prefer not to talk to anyone. So I'd be screaming for any excuse to not do so. "Corporate Ethics" in the end has very little to do with real ethics. Some companies don't let their employees talk about who they work for (a friend of mine is in such a job) while other places (my position being one) is about as lax as they get, with a simple Don't take gifts valuing over $20 by someone that does not work for the company, don't send anyone internal memos unless they work for the company, and don't divulge trade secrets.

Generally speaking, it all depends on the place you're at, and can be very subjective.

My last workplace was very paranoid. Anyone coming onsite either had to sign NDA with us, or their company had to have a contract with us, and an NDA was worked into that. None of the companies we dealt business could hire any employee current, terminated, or otherwise, fewer than 5 years and a day after that employee stopped working onsite for the company. Hell talking to the manpower about what we actually DID there was grounds for termination, and basically getting blacklisted from about 50 companies that ranged from Biotech to automotive to aeronautics to chemical management for half a decade. The company isn't even publicly traded because they don't want people to know what they do.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:41 pm

See, now that would be setting off warning bells for me.

We get drug tested before we can sign a contract and if you've got any alcohol in your system before a helicopter flight you get dismissed instantly. I guess there's not a lot of value in telling people that I wash dishes and do laundry in the middle of the ocean.

Staff Christmas party is coming up in a few weeks. Going down to a pub near the head office and giving us free drinks.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:55 pm

pablo banquo wrote:See, now that would be setting off warning bells for me.

Seriously, when people start protesting that they're being ethical when no one has accused them of misconduct, you have to wonder where the defensiveness is coming from.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Self assessment today! We had to rate our accomplishment of several different goals. My favorite!

Goal: Makes Things Happen.

Rating: 5

Comments: I increase the entropy of any closed system.

Note to manager: This is a good goal. It weeds out the coworkers who drop the room temperature to 0 Kelvin.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm going through the unenviable task of performance reviews as well.

Almost finished, but the corp-speak is scarring my soul.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

We had a bunch of other vague goals handed down by the corporation, like Includes Stakeholders in all Decisions, Keeps our Commitments, and Does Not Impair Coworkers that were pretty funny but when I got to "Makes Things Happen" I literally started yelling.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:58 am

OMGBEES wrote:Does Not Impair Coworkers

This was my favourite. Square assures me he hasn't actually crippled anyone yet.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:23 am

Give me a month.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 pm

I really enjoy: Leverage knowledge and technology.

I hate the use of leverage. it's over used in business. Archimedes is rolling in his grave. correction, he's pivoting.

and since we're essentially knowledge workers who sit at PCs all day... yea.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 pm

hobokenbob wrote:I almost missed it, but there was a second news story concerning AIG that came out the same day its bonus scandal erupted.

This has been bothersome to me because the Obama administration which has been generally good about keeping on message was behaving really off message and politically screwing up with this scandal. Obama himself, instead of trying to stick with the "i'm trying to save the economy don't bother me with the <insert>", jumped right on the populist bandwagon on these bonuses. it didn't make sense, the more traction this story gets the worse it makes his administration and appointed officials look.

It's been misdirection. the story isn't AIG, it's Goldman Sachs and a slew of others who benefited from the 170 billion of taxpayer money dropped into AIG.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01909.html

The funds were paid from the government's initial $85 billion emergency loan in September and included major firms such as Goldman Sachs, Societe Generale, Deutsche Bank, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America and Barclays.
More than $34 billion of the money went to trading partners of AIG Financial Products, the small subsidiary whose exotic derivatives brought AIG to the edge of collapse.
Yesterday's disclosure was an about-face for AIG and the Fed
AIG's disclosure came on the same day that President Obama's top economic adviser berated the firm for its plans to dole out hundreds of millions of dollars in employee bonuses and retention pay

The top recepient is Goldman Sachs:

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... oils-over/

Financial companies that received multibillion-dollar payments owed by A.I.G. include Goldman Sachs ($12.9 billion), Merrill Lynch ($6.8 billion), Bank of America ($5.2 billion), Citigroup ($2.3 billion) and Wachovia ($1.5 billion).

Now why is this not something the administration would want people looking at too closely? Well, who led the charge on the first AIG Bailout back in September 2008? Ben Bernanke, Henry "ex-ceo of GS" Paulson, and Tim Geithner, former head of the NY branch of the FED, now Obama's top econ guru. And who did these guys decide to appoint to the hollow front of a money laundering scheme that is the new post bailout AIG? Edward M. Liddy, former boardmember to GS.

These guys were right on top of things when it came to their wall street insider buddies in danger of eating huge losses on their insurance to AIG if they folded - literally a 12 hour turn around from AIG saying something's wrong to them getting (and being able to pay out) 80 billion dollars, and since then 90 billion more. Yet when it comes to the TARP, there are still small community banks waiting for aid - the real bread and butter banks that should have been helped the most and the soonest when the credit crisis manifested. Instead Main Street's banks - after years of being gobbled up by these too-big-to-fail mega banks created by the repelation of glass steagal and futher allowed to balloon by the commidities future modernization act, and deregulation (all pushed through with hefty lobbying and campaign contributions) - got to watch again as wall street insiders in charge in the FED and Treasury, and wall street insiders in the administrations of Bush and Obama helped out their buddies on wall street get bailed out of the incredible risk taking that made them able to be more competative and gobble up those small banks in the first place.

This is back in the news! I'm glad, maybe this time someone will pay attention?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/0 ... 14449.html

Jason Mustian

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:52 pm

I actually really like my job now. It's pretty awesome. So lucky I got laid off when I did. And for a few other reasons I suppose. There must have been a ton of other applicants and potential candidates that I beat out.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 am

congrats. Liking your work is practically the difference between joy and despair.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 am

I largely agree with that.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 am

rounding for women

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 am

what

Return to “Angry Thoughts”