Taking Care of Business

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 am

I GOT A BONUS! For all the hard work I did around Black Friday. I've never gotten a bonus before! No one has ever given a fuck how hard I work. It feels amazing!
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

Awesome! Only way we get a bonus is if we miss almost no time (even excused).
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah, our standard bonus is for never being late or missing time, doing a Wiki a month, and one other thing that I'm forgetting. But those have been cancelled the last two years so they don't really matter much.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:39 am

i'm still loving my job but now i'm apparently susceptible to stress caused by like caring too much or some shit. I thought i was past this sort of issue 100% but alas the tendency was only numbed by professional disinterest.

I mean, i've had jobs that stressed me out because i hated them so much but this is different. i worry that i'm not doing a good enough job, or that i'm not going to be the best, or at the moment, a project I'm working on has developed a snag and my fucking brain won't shut off and quit thinking about it.

I've gone to sleep fretting about work stuff here and there and when i wake up in the middle of the night my brain is immediately on the same track.

stupid OCD.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Paul Krugman is miserable
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/opini ... ml?_r=2&hp

He's also probably stuck in traffic.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I was reading about that on CNN. Did anyone forget to tell him it was a public works project?
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Interviewing for new people finally. It feels great, to get back on that horse, and it's one of my favorite things to do.

Hopefully soon I can start interviewing my current staffing for promotions, because those are way past due, and if they don't get some recognition it's going to lead to losing some good talent.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Today we had a ticket. A user could see and manipulate files on another user's personal network share. We sent it off to security, who manages all things AD. They sent it back saying that something on the user's machine was corrupted or misconfigured in such a way that he could access the files.

Remote files. Remote, AD-controlled files, on a remote server. Somehow, something had been installed, or Windows had gotten corrupted, in such a way that the user could successfully authenticate to the AD with rights to files he shouldn't have rights to. Some bit of malware or random corruption had resulted in a fully-formed, valid AD cert so this guy could get to this files.

Right.

The answer turned out to be that someone put a group on the files that they shouldn't have, and gave it full control. Both users belonged to that group, so both had full control.

I shed a single, shiny tear when I found out that the answer wasn't magic.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 pm

also, according to creationists, a tornado can't just tear through a junk yeard and assemble a boeing 747.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm

There's probably a youtube video of it.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

It's almost performance review time around here. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get a really good review. I feel like I've busted my ass.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:41 am

I got a really good review!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:39 am

I hope you don't get fired in two weeks. Fucking CDW.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 am

You know what I fucking can't stand? The fact that apparently people with kids (or I should say some people with kids) get to basically fuck off from work every time it snows or one of their little spawns gets a sniffle.

I've been working my goddamn ass of trying to keep things together, and I have a guy who practically hasn't been in half the days this year so far, but can I fire the fucker? nope, HR is all like Family Medical Leave act blah blah, well other people with children manage to make it into work most days. It's seriously to the point were he's become useless as everyone else in our team basically does his work for him now, so that even on the days he decides to grace us with his presence he's completely fucking useless. It's bad for my mood and it's bad for the morale of my overworked team who resent him.

And today he decides to pop in at oh.. 11:00! (we start at 8 but his shift doesn't get to start until 9 nominally, because of his childcare arrangements) and spends the first hour of his day complaining to anyone who comes by his desk about how tough he's got it, and daycare closed today blah blah right within earshot. RAGE

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 pm

I used Family Medical Leave recently. I took off six weeks when the baby was born, but some of that was the normal holiday shutdown so it was more like four and a half weeks off.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Oh my god today was awful. So in addition to going in on literally NO sleep, I got chewed out by my boss.

1. I come in too late from lunch. He says he's noticed me coming in 5-10 minutes late from lunch. Now, from November through March I came in 20-30 minutes EARLY from lunch, but apparently I've been late a couple times in the past few weeks, and I need to knock that shit out. What's hillarious is that the guy next to me came in almost 60 minutes late today, and that was okay, because you could tell he felt really badly about it. Meanwhile, I came in 24 minutes early and I'm the bad guy, despite my saying that I understood his complaints and would see to it that they got addressed. What the fuck.

2. He says my attendance is bad, I've been sick 9 days since January. Now, keep in mind that this is a place where 50% of the workforce is contractors and therefor do not have sick time. Which means disease rips through there. Also keep in mind that of the 9 days I have been sick, 1 was caused by the closing of the entire site due to blizzard, and 3 were because he sent me home. Also it may be worth noting that every time I've been sick, the entire team has gotten sick. HEY MAYBE GIVE PEOPLE SICK TIME. Does he think I LIKE getting a paycheck that looks like I work at McDonald's? I mean, what the fuck?

3. I spend too much time surfing the Internet. Of course the rest of the guys are standing around talking, or watching movies on their tablets, or downloading topless women onto their smartphones whose boobs jiggle when you shake the accelerometer. Or, you know, going five floors up to take a shit because that's what the cool people do. But me with my RSS feeds, I need to cut that shit out, it's making us look bad. Also, three months ago he made it a rule that we couldn't take as many tickets as we were able to because that wasn't fair to the rest of the team (read: guy from #1.) So he mandates that we can't be busy all the time, and then gets pissed off at me for not being perfectly productive.

4. He thinks I look too tired in team meetings. Great.

5. I had a "coaching opportunity." I had assigned a ticket to the wrong queue. Now, one of the programmers explained the difference between the groups Document Creation Interactive and Document Creation Static. The former were web-based tools that took interactive questions and spit out a form, and the latter were people who made Word templates that then got distributed to the team. This was a lady who was going through a web thing so that it would create a form for her in Excel format, so great! Off to Interactive.

HA HA WRONG! Of course it goes to the EXCHANGE team. What the fuck? Why? Because that's how they do things here, of course! This is the big thing that he complains about, that I don't get their process, but their process is the random accumulation of 30 years of meetings and a complete lack of oversight. Nothing makes any sense. I've already asked for a list of the queues and what they do as well as an overview of their basic processes, but they don't exist, they've never been written down. He told me to write them myself. So the solution to me not understanding something is to write a paper about it. Seriously, what? I mean, I guess I could try to research it but of course that assumes that someone has WRITTEN IT DOWN SOMEWHERE.

This job is literally draining my will to live. The only good things about it were the cafeteria and walking on lunch, but now those might make me a few minutes late coming back from lunch so best to not do them.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 am

I think that's a pretty typical corporate America mindset.

Where my dad worked before he retired got bought out by EDS and they had to start swiping in / out of work on SAP timecards. They never said a thing when he was doing 10, 20 hours over his 37.5 hour allotment to build up time for days off, but as soon as he then took his flex-time off he was pulled into meetings with upper management and sent threatening e-mails that he wasn't doing the required amount of work.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Take all of the tickets. ALL OF THEM.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 pm

There's only one person who has a larger ticket count than me. I watched what he does to accomplish that. He takes tickets while he is working on other tickets. I've started doing that too. It's bad for the customer, but what the hell.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 pm

All of them.

Return to “Angry Thoughts”