Funk's Major Thread - Now with more angst!

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Funk's Major Thread - Now with more angst!

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:14 am

Alright, I'm signed up for next year in Clemson in General Engineering with a future as an Electrical Engineer. The problem is, I've had Electronics for two years.... and I really fucking hate it. Circuits just really aren't my bag.

I have two directions I could go from here.

A. I could go into Mechanical Engineering(which I know nothing about) and hopefully enjoy it.

B. Contact Clemson and swtich my majors and go into Computer Science(something I've wanted to go into since a wee lad) and risk not having a job right out of college.

I somewhat enjoy what little experience in programming I've had(and I mean little, as in BASIC and very little C++). However, Clemson is in the top five engineering colleges of the country and Mechanical Engineering could almost insure me a comfy job right out of college(i think).

I know nothing about Mechanical Engineering or what you actually do as one really though.

Does anyone have any opinions on either on life in and after college with each?
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:41 am

I have one suggestion for you, Mr. Funk.
Don't go into a field you hate. And even though a nice comfy job is extremely tempting, will you be happy?
Believe it or not, but I was a History major and would have had a job lined up for me as soon as I graduated. But then I realized, while I like history, I don't think I could handle it every single day for the rest of my life.
I switched to art. No guarantee of a job when I'm done, but I love it. ( Minus a couple jackass teachers )
If you want a sure thing, you may very well have to go with something you hate.
I vote for Clemson.
Computer jobs are always going to be available.

Now art on the other hand.. bah ha ha ha.. I put "homeless" in the job expectation blank on most forms I fill out..

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:44 am

Well I'm going to clemson no matter what. Its just the choice of majors. I probably will indeed go into computer science. But I just want to see what else might be offered.

On a side note, do you have any displayments of your art online? Maybe seeing a piece of what you have done what you love to do will inspire me(not sure that sentence made sense.)

Maybe I can get an opinion of this from one of the billion programmers who frequent here also?
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:52 am

Yeah, I realized I read that wrong.
Go to Clemson and do the computer thing. The one you've always wanted to do.

I'm putting up some of my art sometime in March. I have to for a showing.
I'll link to it on the forum when I do so.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:56 am

Computers are for pussies!

If you want to do something in engineering and you like computers, why not -- wait for it -- computer engineering?

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:59 am

Bah Computer Engineering is just Electrical Engineering with about 2 more classes.

I'm tired of seeing all of these freakin transistors and Integrated Circuits and I'm about to go insane :)

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:02 am

But in computers there's more of a focus on designing and coding. At least there was at my school.

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:05 am

I dont know really...

Computer Engineering could be fun, but I could just go into Computer Science and get all the coding I want and I wouldnt have to take that fourth year english(yeah i looked over each's curriculum)

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:40 am

Or you could major in physics and then get a programming job...

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:46 am

Its probably just my boring monotone teacher, but so far, Physics sucks.

Its just one formula after the other.

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:50 am

Yeah, I would assume that's because you're getting the shitty physics-for-non-physicists version of things. Does your physics even involve calculus?

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:56 am

No sir, algebraic physics. And its all boring crap because the teacher is trying to get us all 'ready for physics in college'

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:00 am

I'm pretty sure my physics teacher was completely crazy.
We have labs an hour before the class in which she's supposed to discuss the homework or whatever.. she never comes in there on time.. about an hour into it, she comes in looking completely stoned and shoveling food into her mouth.
I think her and my Chemistry teacher were in cahoots. And by cahoots, I mean getting wasted a van behind the teacher's parking lot.

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:04 am

Yeah, physics sort of has to be all canned forumulae when you don't possess the knowledge or skills necessary to understand their derivations. In depth, physics is fairly cool (at least I think so). Without calculus, however, it's just boring memorization.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:24 am

If you're interested in Mech Engineering, find some people in the program and talk to them about it... see how it fits with what you're passionate about...

I'd personally go for whatever you are passionate about, whether or not you can get a job in it. Just don't give up on whatever that is... you WILL regret it.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:27 am

I was gonna do CS, and then like in my senior year of high school I just went frikkin' nuts and decided to go for art instead. AND LOOK AT ME NOW i'm a ...freshman...and haven't done anything yet but I will probably be a bum later! woo

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:03 am

Lobstrosity wrote:Yeah, physics sort of has to be all canned forumulae when you don't possess the knowledge or skills necessary to understand their derivations. In depth, physics is fairly cool (at least I think so). Without calculus, however, it's just boring memorization.

Yeah, I sucked at physics but I still recognized that it was pretty cool. Basically I went for engineering as a default. I wasn't good enough for physics or math, bio and chem sucks, I had no talent for programming, so all that was left was engineering. Sure, it required the most courses, but I knew getting a good job would be pretty easy.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:55 pm

You should go into Polymeric Engineering, AKA plastics.

4 years just to learn when to push the green button.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Lethe
Colonel Catfork

Postby Lethe » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:04 pm

My two cents is that you should go into what you want to do, but also with the full knowledge that the vast majority of people that go to post-secondary change their concentration.

Just take lots of varied options and you'll eventually figure out what you want to do. And as for jobs, fuck it, if you have a degree you'll get a job somewhere.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Re: Funk's Major Thread - Now with more angst!

Postby nobody_important » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:17 pm

Funk wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on either on life in and after college with each?

First off, it sound like you're just starting college? If you're interested in mechanical engineering, start reading up on basic statics, dynamics, material science (metals, ceramics, etc..), strength of materials (tied in with material science), kinematics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics. It's very different from electronics, and can be very confusing (especially if you go into it totally blind.) Walk around, talk to people in the department, look at the labs and equipment, and see if you can get the vibe.

Computer Science can be very rewarding, but is much more abstract. A very small amount of the curriculum is actually dedicated to programming (which you'll probably get out ot the way by the middle of your second year.) The rest is number theory, computational theory, data theory, algorithm design and analysis, operating system design, language theory, software engineering, and (if you're in the right area) some microprocessor design and programming. Once again, talk to someone in the department and get a feel for what's going on there. Don't just go into it blind.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Return to “Angry Thoughts”