Comedy is an insult you goons!

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Ignoring the most recent crap that's just cropped up in this thread and going back to some of the slightly recent crap that's cropped up in this thread:

Rob, if you feel like people here are breaking the rules you set down, take whatever action you want to take. Don't ask us for permission and don't feel like you have to listen to the opinions of the rest of us. You pay for this place and you founded this place—do with it what you want and let the rest of us deal with it as we want (i.e. stay, complain, leave, etc). Let Dyna and Bunyip put in their two cents and elaborate their opinions on the matter, but don't feel like that's a personal attack on you or a show of disrespect.

I think that for things like this you have got to have two personas here, one that's a forum member and one that's a moderator. The moderator persona deems what is and is not in accordance with the rules (perhaps through discussions with the other moderators), issues warnings, and makes executive decisions that other forum members might very well dislike or be opposed to. Just do what you feel needs to be done. Hear their criticisms/complaints, respond by justifying your actions to the degree you see fit, and then have that be the end of it.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Square721BT wrote:Not to dicker, but I didn't have any problem understanding his section on humor.

Well, he's not a very good writer so I can't say I had no problems understanding his section on humor, however I grasped easily enough what he was saying. That, however, doesn't change the fact that it's not much more than empty content. It doesn't have any real depth nor does it doesn't relate any special insights that justify the assertions he has made throughout this thread. It in no way demonstrates that he has achieved some unique position of being able to perceive how the rest of the world is completely misguided and in turn help them reach the promised comedy land. It's understandable, however it's also somewhat simplistic.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Lobstrosity wrote:Well, he's not a very good writer so I can't say I had no problems understanding his section on humor, however I grasped easily enough what he was saying. That, however, doesn't change the fact that it's not much more than empty content. It doesn't have any real depth nor does it doesn't relate any special insights that justify the assertions he has made throughout this thread. It in no way demonstrates that he has achieved some unique position of being able to perceive how the rest of the world is completely misguided and in turn help them reach the promised comedy land. It's understandable, however it's also somewhat simplistic.


You're spending so much time reacting to his assertion that he knows something we don't that you're not actually making a point, except that you, Lobstrosity, are clearly superior. Why not engage his actual argument and show where it is flawed? If it is as silly and simplistic as you claim, that shouldn't be difficult.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Square721BT wrote:You're spending so much time reacting to his assertion that he knows something we don't that you're not actually making a point, except that you, Lobstrosity, are clearly superior.

No, I'm merely saying that he is not. If you think he has reached an elightened state in which he understands much more than the rest of the world what humor truly is, I'm happy he's found a disciple. Work on your reading comprehension skills, Square.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Lobstrosity wrote:No, I'm merely saying that he is not. If you think he has reached an elightened state in which he understands much more than the rest of the world what humor truly is, I'm happy he's found a disciple. Work on your reading comprehension skills, Square.

Really? I didn't notice where I said that I was his disciple. Maybe you need to work on your comprehension skills?

I did, however, notice where your tone was awfully fucking superior. Like here! Maybe you're just a terrible writer?

You're not actually arguing here. You're engaging in a series of silly ad hominem attacks. This is both hypocritical (you are insisting his posts contain no content, and yet yours don't either) and silly, as it reinforces his point that the only way to be funny is to insult someone.

Clearly, Lobstrosity, you have thoughts and ideas that would make us mere savages shudder at their very utterance; why not share those thoughts with us and let them speak for themselves? Simply saying that the points thare are being discussed are stupid and obviously you understand them much better is no better than what you're accusing MP of doing.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:37 pm

By the way, to clarify for you Square, before this devolves into a whole host of misaccuations and straw man arguments:

I wrote:But that's just the problem, Magic. You are fundamentally incapable of helping people understand that which you have no understanding of yourself [hyperbole]. You need to get past your delusions of grandeur and supreme enlightenment [seriousness]. This is the first lesson you must learn—help yourself before you try to help others [tongue-in-cheek].


That may not have been entirely clear in my other post, but it was directed at MP and I didn't really care about making myself clear as he rarely does the same for others.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:40 pm

Lobstrosity wrote:By the way, to clarify for you Square, before this devolves into a whole host of misaccuations and straw man arguments:

I wrote:But that's just the problem, Magic. You are fundamentally incapable of helping people understand that which you have no understanding of yourself [hyperbole]. You need to get past your delusions of grandeur and supreme enlightenment [seriousness]. This is the first lesson you must learn—help yourself before you try to help others [tongue-in-cheek].


That may not have been entirely clear in my other post, but it was directed at MP and I didn't really care about making myself clear as he rarely does the same for others.

Alright. No, it wasn't clear, and thank you for the clarification. It still dances around the topic of discussion, hurling judgement without ever entering the argument, which is what am trying to ask you to stop. At the very least, it's not sporting to attack the thoughts of others without being on a level playing field. If you never actually put forth your thoughts on humor, all we can do is sputter comically and retort with your mom jokes.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Square721BT wrote:Really? I didn't notice where I said that I was his disciple. Maybe you need to work on your comprehension skills?

No, mine are fine, thanks. You also didn't notice that I placed the word "if" at the front of the sentence. Reading the entire sentence is important, Square. I didn't think that you had that view, but just in case I thought I'd throw that in there, you know, to cover all bases. If you don't think he is enlightened about this in a way that the rest of us are not then you agree with me on this issue and I'm not sure why we're even arguing. It's most likely just because you misunderstood my first post, which is understandable since I didn't take any precautions to make sure my intentions were clear.

I did, however, notice where your tone was awfully fucking superior. Like here! Maybe you're just a terrible writer?

Yeah, don't talk to me about tone. You're the fucking king of assuming the tone of a pompous dick at the drop of a hat. You're guilty of this far more often that I. Your disliking this is pretty damn hypocritical.

You're not actually arguing here.

No, I'm not.

You're engaging in a series of silly ad hominem attacks.

Yes, I am. So what? This is the Pit of Hate, isn't it?

This is both hypocritical (you are insisting his posts contain no content, and yet yours don't either)

No, it's not. I don't give a shit that his posts contain no content, I only care that he's implying he can help the rest of us understand something only he grasps. I am making no such claim and hence need not back such a sweeping assertion. He is making such a claim and must back such a sweeping assertion. There isn't enough content in his posts to do this. Get it yet, Square? It's not that complicated. (Uh-oh, my tone just got superior again! Oh fuck, clearly that means I'm arguing that I'm better than you!)

and silly, as it reinforces his point that the only way to be funny is to insult someone.

I'm not really trying to be funny. I doubt that I'm amusing anyone other than myself, and even there the amusement I get from this is only slightly above that I get from doing actual work. So yeah, I don't see how that reinforces anything.

Clearly, Lobstrosity, you have thoughts and ideas that would make us mere savages shudder at their very utterance; why not share those thoughts with us and let them speak for themselves? Simply saying that the points thare are being discussed are stupid and obviously you understand them much better is no better than what you're accusing MP of doing.

Uh-oh, sarcasm directed in a superior tone of voice! Now you're clearly arguing that you're better than I am!

Nope, I've got no real thoughts I'd like to share on the subject. My only point is that it seems pretty clear that MP doesn't, either. I don't necessarily understand this any better than anyone else, but so far MP has done nothing to demonstrate that he understands things in a way that the rest of us don't. I didn't say the points being discussed were stupid, just that MP's revelations into the meaning of humor/comedy/funny were of a "well duh" simplistic sort.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:07 pm

Alright, point taken: Ignore Lobstrosity from here on out.

I am, however, deeply impressed at the sheer depth of your hypocrisy, Lob. Well done.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:13 pm

I totally didn't see this coming.

User avatar
Gobo
drum commie
Posts: 5590
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:14 am
Location: Worries for another day
Contact:

Postby Gobo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:20 pm

I'm getting seriously annoyed at this thread...

I know I'm the new mod on the block but if things don't turn around in the next couple of posts I'm locking it.

Democracy be damned.

User avatar
Rob
Oh yes.
Posts: 6715
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:03 pm
Location: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:24 pm

Okay, I'm really going to bow out here. I'm utterly perplexed at this; Square, I never brought any old shit up until long after others had started bandying it around. All I have done here is increasingly lose my patience at asking MP to stop being insulting. Mistakenly (no sarcasm) I thought that by asking him to stop he might consider it.

Somehow.... bah. I dunno.

Seeing as everyone is clearly really fucking bored, here are links to the 8 "relevant" posts I've made in here. If someone could PM me and explain exactly how this has come to be, I'd appreciate it. No; actually, it doesn't matter. I've lost interest. I don't understand and I'm not sure an explanation will make anything any clearer.

  1. MP - what are you doing?
  2. MP, please stop insulting people. If you want to talk about comedy, go ahead.
  3. MP, whether I'm a wiener or not, please stop. Or leave. Or get banned
  4. Oh, okay. Actually suddenly I'm in the wrong here. Actually, that hurts. Fine, MP, I'll let the mods deal with you (or not deal with you, IYSWIM)
  5. Hmm, okay, so bringing up our old mistakes is back on the menu again.
  6. Yep - seems that every now and then someone remembers the search facility. Maybe I should ban the search button, not the forummers.
  7. "Sorry if I'm a bit upset at losing all my authority. I have no idea what came over me. Why on earth would that hurt?"
  8. Whhhat? I must have blinked, and suddenly it's ME that's been digging in the archives and mentioning Kathy again...????


Dynagrip wrote:I totally didn't see this coming.


Well, I wish I had.

Eolh
Serious Business
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:01 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Eolh » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:29 pm

I saw it coming. It's pretty easy to spot when you know the signs.

However, it's impossible to stop even then,
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

User avatar
Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:34 pm

Eolh wrote:I saw it coming. It's pretty easy to spot when you know the signs.

However, it's impossible to stop even then,

The Lobstrosity and Square series?

I guess I haven't paid attention to their posting habits with regards to each other lately.

User avatar
Bunyip
I AM ERROR
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:42 pm
Location: Baconham

Postby Bunyip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:34 pm

In before the lock! (When did I become such a dick?)

I never meant to defend MP's right to be a jerk, only to express my views on how to deal with it. That wasn't meant to undermine Rob's authority, either. I just wouldn't be happy with myself for not saying what I thought about it. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, though clearly Rob has the same problem tenfold.

This is the bit where I get backhanded in da MOUF and you can say "This is not a damn democracy!" That would be fine! Except I didn't like that movie.

I'm giggling about the inflatable teamsters all over again, too. We should send a shipment of sugary treats to NI on a regular basis.

User avatar
Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:36 pm

No joke, he's great when he's jacked up on sleep deprivation and sugar/caffeine.

User avatar
Lobstrosity
Scientific American
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Postby Lobstrosity » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:25 am

Square721BT wrote:I am, however, deeply impressed at the sheer depth of your hypocrisy, Lob. Well done.

I'd be deeply impressed if you could show me an example of said hypocrisy while both demonstrating actual understanding of the discussion at hand and without using misstatements/quote-mining to support your claims. See Square, you have this nasty habbit of pretending people are arguing things they are not just so that you can scold them for it.

Let me clarify one last time: My one and only point is that MP doesn't have some mystical understanding of humor that exceeds our own. That's it. You ask how I know? My response is that I don't know for sure, but it's MP that's making the positive assertion and hence it is up to him to back it with evidence. You say "well look, he wrote something about humor." I say, that, to me, is not evidence. That does not convey any understanding of humor that exceeds what the rest of us already know. That has been the entire discussion so far. I see no hypocrisy there. MP makes a positive assertion I disagree with, so I call him out on not adequately justifying it. That's it. I'm not sure why you can't grasp this. I don't have a problem with people making statements that are devoid of substance (I do it all the time). I have a problem when people make statements devoid of substance that are used to justify positive assertions. As far as I can tell, I haven't made any such assertions, so I'm not sure how I'm failing to practice what I preach. Maybe you can show me the error in my ways.

I'd say your objection to my "superior tone" and my "ad hominem" attacks are pretty hypocritical on your part, though. Given that the person who went from thread to thread throwing nothing but empty content and ad hominems at Kathy is now scolding me for something nowhere near as bad, I'd have to say I'm deeply impressed at the sheer depth of your hypocrisy, Square. Well done.

And Gobo, feel free to lock this if you want, but given that this is the Pit of Hate I'm not going to apologize for the content of my posts here.

User avatar
Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar
Posts: 17609
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: New House

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:39 am

I should just lock this thread, then close the Pit of Hate—like Gabe—so I can go on thinking that the internet is just people who live in my computer and entertain me—like Gabe. Then I can live in my fantasy world where everyone just gets along and no one has to argue.

User avatar
mia
Forum Jesus
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:21 am
Location: the armpit state

Postby mia » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:03 am

Rob and all the lovely admin's here. I thought this is the reason you made CoT in the beginning, because mainly of the shut down of the Pit of Hate. I know that wasn't the entire reason, but the last straw. If you can't pour out your hate here, be it another forumer, then where are you supposed to? And Rob you can't say that you don't want people to be at point and dagger, it's only words even though words do hurt the same. You've probably done the same at Penny Arcade in the old Pit.

That's it from me in this thread. You all can gang up on each other for all I care, just stay in one thread and don't go to others.
piggies

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob
Posts: 4802
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:29 pm
Location: Boston MA
Contact:

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:53 am

you guys better stop it:

cyberbullying!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian


Return to “Angry Thoughts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest