Comedy is an insult you goons!

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition
Posts: 9565
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:05 pm

Postby Kauser » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:23 am

Rob wrote:You guys keep bringing the old shit up whenever it fucking suits on of you, and guess what - that's why the old shit keeps getting brought up.




That's because we argue like women. We hoarde every little thing that someone does that can be used as a weapon and save it.


It's a verbal interpersonal cold war, 24/7/365
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

User avatar
Bunyip
I AM ERROR
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:42 pm
Location: Baconham

Postby Bunyip » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:34 am

On leap days we play mini-golf.

User avatar
Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 am

Kauser wrote:
Rob wrote:You guys keep bringing the old shit up whenever it fucking suits on of you, and guess what - that's why the old shit keeps getting brought up.
That's because we argue like women. We hoarde every little thing that someone does that can be used as a weapon and save it.

I'm gonna beat those bitches at their own game.

Also, Gobo sucks at retitling threads.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:18 am

Dynagrip wrote:I totally didn't see this coming.

Yeah, Jesus, no shit.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:19 am

Gobo wrote:I'm getting seriously annoyed at this thread...

I know I'm the new mod on the block but if things don't turn around in the next couple of posts I'm locking it.

Democracy be damned.

You and me fucking both.

Board: MP is a serious problem that needs to be addressed!

MP: Here is an opportunity to try and address the problem!

Board: Instead, we will engage in a childish game of one-upmanship in some desperate attempt to prove that we are cool/clever/witty! In the meantime, we will bitch at and harangue anyone who wants to try and work to solve this, rather than making it worse through silly insults.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:22 am

Rob wrote:Okay, I'm really going to bow out here. I'm utterly perplexed at this; Square, I never brought any old shit up until long after others had started bandying it around. All I have done here is increasingly lose my patience at asking MP to stop being insulting. Mistakenly (no sarcasm) I thought that by asking him to stop he might consider it.

I never said that you did, I said that I didn't. I've said that like four times now! I also did not accuse you of bringing this stuff up!

Jesus Christ! Alright, reiteration. Read it this time.

TMCM brought up Kathy.

Everyone else started running with it.

I would like them to not run with it, as I'm fucking tired of it being brought back up again and again. It means that any time there is any sort of dissent, I feel I can't post because I'm afraid everything will fall to shit around me.

When you say "You guys are assholes for bringing old shit up," you are including me. Please don't, I would like people to stop.

Please, please, read it for what it is. I am getting very annoyed at simply reiterating the same point. Please!

EDIT: Explosion removed. It didn't serve anything.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:29 am

Dynagrip wrote:
Eolh wrote:I saw it coming. It's pretty easy to spot when you know the signs.

However, it's impossible to stop even then,

The Lobstrosity and Square series?

I guess I haven't paid attention to their posting habits with regards to each other lately.

From where I'm concerned, Lob and I are done. I honestly am going to start ignoring him from this part out. I made a simple request. I requested that he be civil. We are preparing to ban someone for not being civil, so that seemed like a reasonable request. I think I remained civil for the majority of the exchange.

Lob is very happy not being civil.

Please note: This is part of the slippery slope that Kauser mentioned. If you ban MP, by the same token, you should be banning Lob. Are you willing to do that?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:34 am

mia wrote:Rob and all the lovely admin's here. I thought this is the reason you made CoT in the beginning, because mainly of the shut down of the Pit of Hate. I know that wasn't the entire reason, but the last straw. If you can't pour out your hate here, be it another forumer, then where are you supposed to? And Rob you can't say that you don't want people to be at point and dagger, it's only words even though words do hurt the same. You've probably done the same at Penny Arcade in the old Pit.

That's it from me in this thread. You all can gang up on each other for all I care, just stay in one thread and don't go to others.

From waht I understand, Rob and the crew came around long after the creation of the Pit of Hate. In the beginning, Psilar created the PoH to contain all the myraid flamewars that broke out all over M2 into one area so you could participate or avoid them as you saw fit. It started out as a thread, Bizkit made it a subforum. People who were around then think of it that way.

The later bunch of people used it as a place to creatively rant at eachother, apparently. It wasn't supposed to be nasty or anything, from what I've seen; it was a place that was supposed to be more intelligent than the bulk of M2. From what I gather, it was like our Ministry, but angstier.

So I think people have different ideas of what the PoH is supposed to be about.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:35 am

Bunyip wrote:On leap days we play mini-golf.

But we play it like women. That part is important.

I personally run around giggling and running with my arms bent on either side of my chest.

Why not call this thread "arguing like women"? Or better yet, "playing minigolf like women"?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid
Posts: 6045
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:52 am

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:08 am

Dynagrip wrote:
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:I want to go back to the 'stirred up and posting' thing for a moment, because that seems to be the main thrust of your argument for his worth.

*irrelevant monkey example*

I don't think your example holds up very well. Now, if this monkey's activities caused us to examine our community, how we adhere to its explicit and implicit rules, divided us into different camps of opinion, and provided an interesting discussing point, then I think it'd be more accurate.

Fine, you hate MP. I'm not terribly fond of him either. But he's not a total idiot, or probably an idiot at all. For whatever reason he favors an oblique comedy style that borders on incredibly boring. He still hasn't caused as much trouble as some of the more active members here.


Here's the thing. MP is decidedly NOT causing us to "examine our community." What's going on here is barely constructive. Interesting? Possibly. Worth it in the long run? I highly doubt it.

I've passed the point where I'm willing to give MP the benefit of the doubt. He's acted like a complete cock-knocker so often in the past that it's improbable he's got something new to offer. His posts, up until these last couple, were completely and utterly without worth so I don't think that comparing them to monkey come is all that far off. Except in that monkey come helps monkeys reproduce, so I think an argument might exist for which has more worth.

As for these last couple posts of his. There is next to no content contained there. He's equating comedy with insults. Woah, that is like, totally deep, man! The brunt of it seems to still be that we're not getting him. Let's see:

Magic Placebo wrote:An insult is an inflated truth.


Oh god. This is complete and utter bullshit. Let's say I called someone stupid who is decidedly not by most definable measures. This would then qualify as an insult that is not true. The above quote is often true, but it's by no means universal. Besides which, it implies that there is inherent value in insulting people because they might learn from it.

Sense of humor is actually sense of humility, not someone who doesn't enjoy your type of comedy/humor or does not laugh a whole bunch at jokes or their misfortune or faults. Humility is when one can notice a fault of their own without feeling sad or inconvienienced by it being shown and can very well laugh at it as well.


Er, no. Any truth this might have is derived from the assumed truth of the last quote. Al Franken can do "greedy white bastard" jokes to a room full of Republicans and businessmen, at which they usually laugh. I'm pretty sure that, in reality, they don't consider their greedy bastardry a fault. Mostly because they see it in a different light, but hey.

Now, THIS is where the semantics truly come in. There are different types of insults that some people will love and some people will loathe. Insults can be mean spirited, playful, whimsical, humble and anything else as long as they have that one bit of small, inflated truth. Some people prefer playful over condenscending, some people want their insults to be a point or some sort of message and some people want their insults to be something that isn't obvious to the majority.


And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is also MP's way of covering his own ass so that nothing he says can actually be 'wrong'. "I'll cover all the potential bases so that when someone points out a flaw in my thinking, I can go back and say 'See! See! I covered that!' "

If there was anything vaguely resembling a point, than that would be that what constitutes comedy varies depending on the audience. Well, no shit. Really? Anti-semetic humour that goes over with a group of Nazis will probably fall flat with a Jewish assembly. That doesn't make the humour at all funny or good, it just means that Nazis are stupid.

Like I said. Nothing. Externally meaningless. Empty as all hell. Indignant, flawed reasoning, after post, after post, after post of complete, total, unflinching bullshit. So you'll excuse me if I don't see what's so great about his presence.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:19 am

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
Magic Placebo wrote:An insult is an inflated truth.


Oh god. This is complete and utter bullshit. Let's say I called someone stupid who is decidedly not by most definable measures. This would then qualify as an insult that is not true. The above quote is often true, but it's by no means universal. Besides which, it implies that there is inherent value in insulting people because they might learn from it.


I think the error is simply in the generality of the statement. I mean, you can call someone stupid, but if they're confident that they're smart, they'll just roll their eyes and whip off a Church-style "OK, whatever, moron." An effective insult needs to take a flaw that the recipient considers themselves as having and magnify it. Note, that calling a smart man stupid could very well make him mad if he's insecure about his intelligence.

Er, no. Any truth this might have is derived from the assumed truth of the last quote. Al Franken can do "greedy white bastard" jokes to a room full of Republicans and businessmen, at which they usually laugh. I'm pretty sure that, in reality, they don't consider their greedy bastardry a fault. Mostly because they see it in a different light, but hey.


Okay, that's bullshit. :) Al Franken gets all sorts of shit from the right about his stuff all the goddam time. If they're sitting there and laughing about it, why are they voiciferously complaining? I know you're a fan of Bill Hicks; think about his humor. He's got several, I don't know, "acts" or whatever you call them, pieces of a show, where he talks about how he's received in the South. Same thing. The only time you're going to get someone to laugh about something like that is if you can convince them that you mean everybody but them.
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is also MP's way of covering his own ass so that nothing he says can actually be 'wrong'. "I'll cover all the potential bases so that when someone points out a flaw in my thinking, I can go back and say 'See! See! I covered that!' "

If there was anything vaguely resembling a point, than that would be that what constitutes comedy varies depending on the audience. Well, no shit. Really? Anti-semetic humour that goes over with a group of Nazis will probably fall flat with a Jewish assembly. That doesn't make the humour at all funny or good, it just means that Nazis are stupid.

This is the opposite of the point you just made.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:48 am

Thorn, in IM wrote:Thorn157 [2:08 AM]: Yeah, I remember last time he did this I tried to explain to him why what he was doing wouldn't work, or something. Everyone else was just blasting him. He didn't get what I was trying to say, though, and ended up thinking I was supporting him. Eventually he got fed up and left until, well, now apparently.


So apparently this is not a new occurence. From what he's saying, I should stop trying to fix this and let people be mindless dicks. *shrug*
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid
Posts: 6045
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:52 am

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:19 am

Square721BT wrote:An effective insult needs to take a flaw that the recipient considers themselves as having and magnify it. Note, that calling a smart man stupid could very well make him mad if he's insecure about his intelligence.


That just makes him insecure, not stupid. So while it might actually be an effective insult, it doesn't make the statement "An insult is an inflated truth" any more correct.


Square721BT wrote:Okay, that's bullshit. :) Al Franken gets all sorts of shit from the right about his stuff all the goddam time. If they're sitting there and laughing about it, why are they voiciferously complaining? I know you're a fan of Bill Hicks; think about his humor. He's got several, I don't know, "acts" or whatever you call them, pieces of a show, where he talks about how he's received in the South. Same thing. The only time you're going to get someone to laugh about something like that is if you can convince them that you mean everybody but them.


Franken gets shit from the talking heads of the right; Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Limbaugh, etc. And that's mostly about his politically charged, non-humourous material. Doing crowd-depreciating humour to a room full of businessmen usually gets him a laugh.

I dunno, I imagine Hicks probably left his more acerbic 'Southern' material out of his act when he was down South, knowing it wouldn't go over. It's less about exclusivity and more about caricatures (which, granted, is one of those circumstances that does fit into the "insult=inflated truth" bit.) He didn't make fun of LA when he was in LA, but he tore the hell out of LA when he was in New York.

This is the opposite of the point you just made.


Nah, I think there's a subtle difference. It's pretty much a universally accepted truth (I hope) that Nazi's are/were evil fuckheads. Businessmen, depending on your outlook (but an outlook that still accepts Nazis as evil), not as much.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:14 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:That just makes him insecure, not stupid. So while it might actually be an effective insult, it doesn't make the statement "An insult is an inflated truth" any more correct.

That seems like a semantic quibble to me, particularly if you view truths as subjective, which it sounds like most of us do. Either way, I think we can all agree with the statement "An effective insult plays on the fears or inadquecies of an individual by naming them publicly and inflating them."

Franken gets shit from the talking heads of the right; Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Limbaugh, etc. And that's mostly about his politically charged, non-humourous material. Doing crowd-depreciating humour to a room full of businessmen usually gets him a laugh.

I dunno, I imagine Hicks probably left his more acerbic 'Southern' material out of his act when he was down South, knowing it wouldn't go over. It's less about exclusivity and more about caricatures (which, granted, is one of those circumstances that does fit into the "insult=inflated truth" bit.) He didn't make fun of LA when he was in LA, but he tore the hell out of LA when he was in New York.

I don't know what you're trying to say about crowd-depreciating humor. I'm not certain what you mean by that. And I really am not willing to accept that Franken gets up in frontt of a room full of right-wing Christians, and gets away with "Family Values are for morons!", I'm sorry. I think, TMCM, that you are warping reality in your hero-worship.

I agree that Hicks didn't bitch about LA in LA, or the South in the South; We do know for a fact that he occasionally would trot out some of his Christianity/moral/UFO stuff down there, and we do know for a fact that the South wasn't too fond of that sort of stuff. Largely because the South is full of a lot of right-wingers. Which circles back to my original point.

Nah, I think there's a subtle difference. It's pretty much a universally accepted truth (I hope) that Nazi's are/were evil fuckheads. Businessmen, depending on your outlook (but an outlook that still accepts Nazis as evil), not as much.

Okay, that's totally avoiding thinking about the issue. "Ah, Nazis are evil! Case closed. Therefore, everyone will enjoy being told what they don't want to hear, so long as they are not evil!"

Hey TMCM, you're a stupid fuck.

Does that anger you?

OMG, you're a Nazi!

I'm not ready to believe in the existence of evil simply because it makes for a convenient argument - I'm sure as shit not ready to do so and then bitch about Christianity doing the same. At the same time, I'm not ready to concede that right-wing Republicans are vastly different from the Nazis - they share a decent number of the same beliefs. Remember that 70% of the populace now believes that Muslims should be forced to register. We're edging closer and closer to concentration camps.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:55 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby chickenlips » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Kauser wrote:
Rob wrote:You guys keep bringing the old shit up whenever it fucking suits on of you, and guess what - that's why the old shit keeps getting brought up.




That's because we argue like women. We hoarde every little thing that someone does that can be used as a weapon and save it.


It's a verbal interpersonal cold war, 24/7/365


Hey!

You know, this is just like that time on March 14 of 1993 when you...

User avatar
Square721BT
Doom Cock
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby Square721BT » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Killed a man and paid someone to cover it up.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

User avatar
Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:10 am

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:37 pm

Lobstrosity wrote:

Or, maybe translated into a language you can understand:

Fraggles ate my pants! Bananas???


Lob I'd just like to jump in here and say that that line is pretty funny.

Not only is it a hilarious impression of MP but it mentions Fraggles, a word I have not heard since the 80s so I tip my hat to you sir, good show, jolly good show.
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

User avatar
Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:10 am

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
His posts, up until these last couple, were completely and utterly without worth so I don't think that comparing them to monkey come is all that far off. Except in that monkey come helps monkeys reproduce, so I think an argument might exist for which has more worth.


•ahem•

Its "monkey cum", not "monkey come".

AHA the day finally came when I could correct someones spelling on this forum.

•marks calendar•
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

User avatar
Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar
Posts: 17607
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: New House

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:34 pm

This thread is a lot like a raid on Hillsbrad. There's a Horde town of level 20-ish players, and an Alliance town of 30-ish players. The Alliance will beat down the Horde in the area, so the Horde will call in higher level reinforcements, who proceed to beat down the Alliance. Then the Alliance calls in reinforcements, and it escalates from there. Then there are the random passersby who don't really want to fight but get caught up in the action anyway. One side might be temporarily victorious in their eyes, maybe the Alliance takes over Tarren Mill for a while, but it is all essentially futile because the guards respawn infinitely and beat back the invasion. Eventually people lose interest for a while, but it starts back up again in a little while. This is the way of the system.

You see how this thread is exactly like a raid on Hillsbrad?

User avatar
Thorn
let's hit the women
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:31 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Thorn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:46 pm

bag you are wrong and do not get it

magic placebo has just been playing the role of a pretentious moron this whole time


Return to “Angry Thoughts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest