Comedy is an insult you goons!

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

User avatar
nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!
Posts: 4734
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:20 pm
Location: Pentatonia
Contact:

Postby nobody_important » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:12 pm

I'm certainly not going to cry about it.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

User avatar
Bunyip
I AM ERROR
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:42 pm
Location: Baconham

Postby Bunyip » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Rob wrote:..., Buny - sorry if this offends you.

It doesn't, really. But I'm wondering if perhaps this does:
But I've done it now, and the moderators are not going to undo it either, so please don't anybody even bother trying to appeal to Bag, Spork, Pob or Gobo's better natures.

Is it too much to be expected to be treated like adults? We've expressed some opinions, we haven't taken to the streets and overthrown the monarchy. It's not "everyone" ignoring your warnings, it's MP, the only one you were actually warning. I felt the same thing could be achieved by ignoring him, and even thought we were proving that quite nicely, but if you had to poke him to provide your catharsis, fine.

I'm really not sure where this idea of the MP fan club came from. I certainly haven't been singing his praises and I don't think anyone else has either. I was never defending MP himself, just the idea that we can't handle such a third-rate troll, or god forbid, extract some interest or entertainment from him, however unwillingly on his part. That bit where I talked about his "radical ideas" was satire, but MP was clearly not the only one to miss that. I guess my "humour" skills need some work after all!

Anyway, ding-dong, the witch is dead, so I guess we can throw aside the pitchforks and be a happy family again. Back to the congratulatory back-slapping.

Eolh
Serious Business
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:01 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Eolh » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:59 am

Bunyip wrote:I felt the same thing could be achieved by ignoring him, and even thought we were proving that quite nicely, but if you had to poke him to provide your catharsis, fine.

I see your point Buny, but I don't see why you think we should have to. The fact of the matter is that MP added nothing and, it seemed, was only here to be ignored.
I'm really not sure where this idea of the MP fan club came from. I certainly haven't been singing his praises and I don't think anyone else has either.

While it's true you haven't being extolling his virtues, you have used some pretty inflamatory language with regards to the issue of his banning which might cause some to make that connection. Case in point:

Anyway, ding-dong, the witch is dead, so I guess we can throw aside the pitchforks and be a happy family again. Back to the congratulatory back-slapping.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

User avatar
Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:10 am

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:04 am

I'd hardly say Bunyip was being inflammatory, thats a bit of an exaggeration.
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

User avatar
Rob
Oh yes.
Posts: 6715
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:03 pm
Location: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:36 am

Bunyip; this is a shame. And your humour skills don't require any work.

There was no catharsis required here on my part.


I felt that, after stupidly putting my head above the parapet, after some real encouragement by various other people who post all the time here, three of the people I most respect of all the posters here seemed to suddenly decide that I was in the wrong.

Rightly or wrongly, the apparent "defense" (in my mind) of MP by you, Dyna and Square is the single most crushing thing that has ever happened here, to me. I just wanted to get rid of him. Ask the moderators - they'll tell you, I was on a simple mission to wait this out until he crossed a line, at which point I would ban him. We were discussing this for a long time before it happened. Had he gone no further, I would have let it drop.

But suddenly, I felt he had a fan club. From (no disrespect to yourselves or anyone else who posts here) - from three of the people whose level-headed opinions I most valued. You were defending him???

It's got nothing to do with treating you like adults. I felt I was justified in asking for something that I was then completely denied. "You" all seemed to almost be mocking me. I thought the house-guest rule was pretty fucking clear myself - the last 2 weeks have taught me that people will agree to things they don't agree with because they don't want to read them or try to understand what is being required of them.

Yeah, I wanted to get rid of him. I felt it was bad for all of us, and the years of people asking me why I tolerated him, etc etc, started to kick in. I told the moderators we had to wait for him to cross a real, no pissing-about, genuine forum line, and then somehow while I was expecting him to cross a line, I blinked and then people seemed to be defending him....?


But there's nothing more constructive to say. After several days of wondering what the fuck I did wrong, today things changed. I'm not going to have anyone sit and call me out, repeatedly, like that. I told him to change his behaviour, then it got used as a stick against me. Today I got sick of it. And as much as I value you, Dyna and Square amongst the people who regularly post here and make this place whatever thing it might actually be, I'm not going to sit and take shit from anyone for it. And I've handled this wrong (and I accept I have) - but I can only apologise. The end result, well - I won't apologise for. The number of people via here, and via PM, and via my LJ forum, who have told me this was way overdue leads me to believe that however badly I have handled it, the end result was largely inevitable and largely RIGHT.

The real regret is that, in my mishandling of the whole incident, I've clearly carved divides into the forum, and raised questions that I suspect won't be answered proplerly, and possibly even divisions that won't be healed. There's nothing I can do about that, other than to say it wasn't my intention. And to mention that the alternative, in my head, to banning MP was to hand the domain over to Gobo in the next few days and then shut the forum down, giving him a reasonable degree of time to move things somewhere else. Whic h I had already decided I was more than prepared to do, if I had so judged this wrong.

Because, to this day, I truly don't believe any of you understand how strongly I felt about what was happening.

And between you all, whether you meant it or not, I felt you took all of my authority away from me. Had I been making an unreasonable demand, I might have accepted I was in the wrong. But the more I thought about, the more I was sure I wasn't making unreasonable demands of anyone.

That's a shame, but it's my fault for being so bad at communicating. I can't apologise any more, because I truly didn't want to end up here, but banning MP was something that I believe was largely inevitable and the real problem here was my handling of the situation, nothing more, nothing less. And if we're being honest here, let's truly lay down the skinny; I don't feel that I can "treat you like adults" because the one single time in the entire history of this stupid bloody forum I asked for something, I felt it was denied me. Never mind MPs "trade or goodwill" shit - it was a simple request not to behave that way, and it was completely ignored. And however badly a light this puts me in, it caused me to seriously take stock of what was happening here and what I was doing. And what you are all doing. I'm sorry, but that's the bottom line. At the end of the day, for the first time in anything, I decided to pull rank and suffer the consequences. Let Gobo, Bag, Pob and Spork tell you how this fell - they saw this from the other side. I didn't just wake up one day and decide to play lets-go-fuck-around.

I asked him to stop. He didn't. In the end, I banned him. If this somehow makes you all feel like I didn't treat you as adults, then I guess we all have some learning to do from this, not just me. Nobody likes doing things they don't want to do.


I can't apologise any more. I've learned some interesting things about this place in the last two weeks.



And finally, at the risk of dissolving any tenuous "friendship" that I might have ever have shared with you - if you seriously think there has been any backslapping about this on my part, then you have so comprehensively got this wrong that I had to tell you I'm fucking seriously offended. No-one here has agonised and pondered over this more than me, however the end result may appear to have come out.

User avatar
Rob
Oh yes.
Posts: 6715
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:03 pm
Location: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:49 am

Bunyip wrote:I felt the same thing could be achieved by ignoring him, and even thought we were proving that quite nicely, but if you had to poke him to provide your catharsis, fine.


Let's just get one other point clear here - I didn't open this up to start with, and I didn't open it up again today. MP came along today and started, not me. I may not have acted very well in the overall scheme of things, but I did not go looking for this fight and I certainly didn't open it back up again today.

I'm really fucking pissed-off at your take on this.

User avatar
Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:10 am

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:01 am

Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong .... well ok yah yah I'll do it, hell I do it all the time.

But I don't think it was Bunyip's intention to piss ya off Rob or to ruffle any feathers.

This thread is evil.
Can't you see what its doing! ITS TEARING US APART!!!

This thread must be locked.

lock it, lock it now and seal the evil before it infects us all.


But seriously theres no need for any bad blood to be generated from this, lets all chill out. Have some hot coco and just put this behind us and forget about it.

Rob I'm not trying to trivialize how you feel on this issue or anything but I think it would be best if we all just drop this because no good is going to come from discussing it any further.

What else can happen from this thread, maybe Eolh will finally come out of the closet and admit his hate for MP steamed from sexual frustration and confusion. Who knows.

All I know is, that I don't think anyone would care if this was locked, and I know no more good can come from this discussion.

Thats just my two cents ...
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

Eolh
Serious Business
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:01 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Eolh » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:03 am

Tweeg wrote:What else can happen from this thread, maybe Eolh will finally come out of the closet and admit his hate for MP steamed from sexual frustration and confusion.

Actually...it's you that I love Tweeg. I can't resist your acerbic wit.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

User avatar
Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:10 am

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:04 am

I love you too!

I want to have your man babies
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

User avatar
Bunyip
I AM ERROR
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:42 pm
Location: Baconham

Postby Bunyip » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:11 am

Generally, I take a much gentler approach when people's genuine feelings are on the line, so I apologise that I felt a bit pissy today and posted about it. I know you (Rob) didn't take the decision lightly and I also know that I don't take the forum as seriously as I could. I'll let it drop and stick to contributing in more productive ways.

User avatar
mia
Forum Jesus
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:21 am
Location: the armpit state

Postby mia » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:56 am

Rob if you wanted to Ban him, then ban his ass. Don't apologize.

and lock this thread.
piggies

User avatar
Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:07 am

Image

User avatar
chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:55 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby chickenlips » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:52 am

Tweeg wrote:This thread must be locked.

lock it, lock it now and seal the evil before it infects us all.


Man, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Tweeg here, but...it might be a good idea. Edit: Or, you know, stop posting to it.

I'm glad MP is gone, because I (apparently like a lot of you) was ignoring him as well I could - even staying out of threads I had previously enjoyed because I saw that he was the last person to post in them. Now I feel comfortable going to read them again, with no more than the normal amount of inanity. :)

User avatar
Rob
Oh yes.
Posts: 6715
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:03 pm
Location: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:17 am

Okay. I'm sorry for the rant(s). I should stop taking this shit so seriously (maybe take some medication or something?)

I will lock the thread.

Dyna, your crash picture was excellent.


Return to “Angry Thoughts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest