Why is Kurtz such a tool bag?

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Why is Kurtz such a tool bag?

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 pm

I better put this here since it'll probably be "depublished" if i just link to it:

The ethics of depublishing
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005

"Depublishing is the practice of posting something to the web, often an inflammatory post to a weblog, then removing the inflammatory parts or deleting the content altogether. "... " People would frequently discover entries they linked to or commented on had suddenly disappeared, or been substantially edited, making their own blog entries nonsensical...

Depublishing is alleged to be unethical, as it allows people to squirm their way out of the consequences of their actions. "If you frequently find yourself wanting to depublish content, you should spend more time reflecting on what you've written before putting it online."

Good advice, but don't be too quick to discourage depublishing...for it is the greatest aspect of publishing to the web.

Nothing sucks more than opening up a box of newly printed books that just arrived at your house, only to find that you missed a mistake. Now it's cemented in time, for everyone to see. Forever.

With the web, if someone discovers a typo... If you are unhappy with the way you drew a panel... If you discover you did not make your point succinctly enough...no problem. Your document is a living thing on the net and you can fix it. Now when people discover it, things are more as you originally intended them to be.

Should I not correct a spelling error for fear of the unethical practice of depublishing? Should I not be allowed to come to my senses after a night of binge drinking and realize that the post I made in a drunken stupor entitled "Ducks...why people who own them are retarded." probably wasn't the best idea?

Think about when a mistake or inaccuracy is made in print. The newspaper prints a small retraction that people never see. At least on the web, you can correct your mistakes.

One other thing to consider. The web is different from print in that things you put into it never die. They are never limited by a print run. They are forever out there, waiting for someone to google cache them and throw back into your face.

The web is a living entity and it needs to be updated and edited. Should I never depublish my website and redesign it? And take a look at sites like Wikipedia and the Internet Movie Database: sites created and built by internet users. Those sites could not exist without fact checking, editing and depublishing.

I thought that print was dead and that the net was the new living breathing future. Using depublishing actively to be a jerk is a really bad idea...but the idea itself isn't flawed or unethical.

P.S. If I get a lot of email about this post, I'll probably just delete it. So be sure to copy and paste it into an email or message board quickly.

This having to do with the fact that he ran his mouth off.. again and pretty much pissed everone off, then quickly retracted via editing the hell out of his old blog. (to the point that I don't even recognize his new post as the old post i recall reading)

the revised edition, not that it matters much since none of anything this man says seems to be very intelligent at all is:

Take two.
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005

Okay, I’ve recollected my thoughts and this is what I was trying to say: Thanks to Kris and Jason for helping me gather my thoughts.

Why is there so much drama in the webcomics community? I’ve been pondering that question and discussing it with Eric Burns over at Websnark. He reminded that Henry Kissinger once said “University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.”

Webcomics have not become an industry yet, or a market. Right now it’s more of an experiment with varied results. And it’s populated by creative people who, by nature, have their feelings and egos wrapped up in everything. So it’s easy for those egos and feelings to get bruised.

In light of there being a real industry or market place for webcomics, all we truly have to fight over is STATUS. That is our currency of choice. When the rest of the world comes to peek in and look at our experiment, there is a frenzied race for validation.

Now let me get introspective. Considering that I’ve received a lion’s share of status and success, why do I still find myself victim to this behavior? Why do I still feel spiteful towards those I feel are unjustly receiving a higher status than myself (or they deserve). I know that those feelings are petty and wrong. But my first reaction is to have them and remind myself that it’s better not to.

I think it’s because in webcomics, much like university politics, the stakes are so small. Ultimately, I’m an insecure person who has placed my heart and soul on the web to be judged.

But the history of webcomics is important because, well, its history. History should be recorded accurately. And soon, I may just be that guy who did PvP for ten years before all the hoopla died down and went back to having a day job. Shouldn’t I want the recognition I’ve earned? Or is that a product of ego as well?

Whenever drama rears up in webcomics, I think we all need to remember that we’re all fighting over scraps. In the big scheme of things, webcomics are about five minutes of time in the life of the American comic strip or comic book. We all might need to step back and look at the bigger picture. If we did, we may all find that even the guy with the most status, is pretty hard to notice.

Of course, remembering that is easier said than done, when you’re nursing a bruised ego.

I hope I was able to make my point better this time around. Thanks for allowing me a second crack at it.

for the record, i didn't give a fuck about his original posts. it was inflamatory garbage that tries to make him look like some sort of webcomic socrates/jesus figure, the only one of his peers with any sense of wisdom or something, just kurtz being his idiot self. as well as a few posts about how CTRL ALT DELETE is a complete ripoff of PA which are now completely deleted.

I justlove how he mouths off like that an then retracts every single time that ever gets negative email. and now this beauty of a post lamely trying to excuse this sort of thing! why do people even listen to him anymore!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Jat
Forum Jesus

Postby Jat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm

a cunning stunt

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm

In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:42 pm

Meh. I kinda think CAD is a stylistic ripoff (I tried to think of a better word, but couldn't without sounding overly consiliatory) of PA. Honestly that's kind of why I like it. I think Kurtz sticks his foot in his mouth often, and while I don't have a problem with revising stuff on the web, removing whole statements like you never said them is quite a different issue.

He was probably right to posit that the media would get it all wrong, and he was also right to say that the only reason anyone would care is because there are no real stakes involved. I appreciate Kurtz for no other reason than he occassionally entertains me with his idiotic rants, and he causes others to entertain me with their responses.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:07 pm

oh his rants are definately entertaining, and i may even agree with a few scraps here and there and i'm certainly not offended, just once in a while he does things that are so retarded it's hard not to want to call attention to them. CAD is basically PA with a storyline, they even brought the animated electronic device as a sidekick ala div (the xbox robot thing), i still like them both, perhaps because as buckley says in his post, the gaming industry is certainly big enough to handle more than 2 webcomics on it. and as much as CAD is stylistically derivative of alot of what PA does, i've never notice it directly rip off their jokes or art. besides they're both for free on the internet, so who cares exactly? I think only kurtz.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:44 pm

from today's pvp news entry:
P.S.
I've heard some rumblings on the net from other....for lack of a better term...web-cartoonists, who are put out that Blizzard invited me, Gabe, Tycho and Woody to be a part of Blizzcon (instead of them, I guess). To those parties I would make a suggestion: If you put as much energy into creating a funny and original cartoon as you did into your angry blog, maybe you would have been invited too. Why not quit your whining and learn how to draw first?

Isn't it funny how when we get invited to do something like this, you make it out to be corportate and us selling out. But if you got invited it would be a great thing. It's like that old George Carlin routine. "Did you ever notice that your shit is stuff and their stuff is shit?"

Instead of demanding that people resepct you, why don't you just shut the F-up and get to writing and drawing? Either you'll get your accolades or you won't. Accolades mean a lot more if you're not ASKING for them.

Just some advice from me, the "elitist prick." Or as one of my disgruntled guildmates once called me in a moment of passing anger... "The golden child of worship and fame."

Yeah that's me. The guy who's going to be hyper-ventilating in his hotel room, sitting on the edge of his bed, afraid to go out into the con and meet people face to face.

however wrong or right he may be this is antoher fine example of him trying to be intentionally controversial. i wish i knew what webcomics he was talking about, those blogs might be funny reads.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:51 pm

I gotta tell you, I like it when Kurtz posts shit like that. Makes my day a little more interesting. I will echo your desire to see who's bitching about PA, PvP, and GU being invited but not them.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Return to “Angry Thoughts”