Sony Rootkit - Trick, no treat.

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Sony Rootkit - Trick, no treat.

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Have you been following all the drama around sony's awesome malware built into their recent CDs? I've found it fascinating, it certainly makes me hesitate about purchasing any Sony products, but since i almost never buy music CDs anymore, i feel pretty safe for now. BoingBoing has a pretty convenient round-up article that covers the story so far:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/14/so ... er_te.html
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 pm

So how do you know if a cd you're considering buying is a Sony cd? Do I have to do research before I buy? Because that sucks.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 pm

it does suck. and how do we know other publishers aren't doing the same or similar? just about every CD these days comes with those "special additional content for your PC" crap.

Honestly, this kind of rocks the foundation of my whole, people shouldn't pirate stance. I still think people shouldn't pirate, but when the company's you try to play fair with treat their customers like criminals, well, fuck them.

I think going to stop purchasing sony products (if i can possibly avoid them). Not to boycott sony, just to avoiding malicious products that could trash my stuff.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:58 pm

EMI were among the first to do that shit here. I didn't install it then, and I don't intend to do so now.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:00 pm

With the Sony one you don't have a choice, it installed it without asking your permission.

Last I heard they've stopped putting it on their CDs and have a patch to get rid of it if you've insatlled it.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 pm

Although I am concerned about the music cd aspect, I am more concerned about not being able to rent games. Without renting, I would have to wait until the games hit the bargain bin, which would also be limited as most are used.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:52 pm

I REALLY doubt that's going to happen as everybody is freaked out about. But yeah I'm scared about that too.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:18 pm

Gobo wrote:Last I heard they've stopped putting it on their CDs and have a patch to get rid of it if you've insatlled it.

But the uninstaller leaves gaping holes in your system easily exploited by anyone malicious...

:rotate:

Return to “Angry Thoughts”