Migraines

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Migraines

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:09 pm

I don't know how many of you get migraines. I'm not talking about bad headaches that you just call a migraine, I'm talking about the kind that debilitates you. I hardly ever get headaches, but I get migraines a few times a year. Started in 11th grade and continues today. And by that, I mean I have one today. Today's isn't so bad, though...just turned around after leaving for work, took a pill, and fell into bed, and only threw up once (well, four times, but only one session).

The only thing you want to do when you have them is sleep and occasionally wake up and vomit to feel better. There's an ache behind your eye as if something is constantly pressing against it. Any sudden movement of your head (like checking your blind spot when changing lanes) is pain.

One time when I got it, I actually couldn't form sentences any more. I would sit there and think of something to say, then after I said it I played it back in my mind and said, "that didn't make any sense, did it" and people would answer "no." That night I was scheduled to take a mechanics exam, so I tried to e-mail the professor to ask for an extension. While I was typing, I couldn't think of coherent sentences, and even if I could, my arms were a bit numb and I couldn't remember where specific keys were. That was an interesting one.

Usually when I get them, the first sign will be a spot in the middle of my vision that I can't really see very well...it turns sort of white. One time I had it, that spot went away but then it reappeared on my periphery. That one happened during a job interview I had driven for 2 ½ hours in my girlfriend's brand new car. I had to cut the interview short since I couldn't answer any of their questions or see straight or much of anything else. So I apologized for wasting their time and I left. Saw a Sav-on and got some Excedrin Migraine (which is the only thing that does anything for me) and some water and took one immediately. Then I started driving home, and while I was driving I started to get drowsy. I turned on the stereo and one of her japanese cds started playing, and I was in no shape to drive an unfamiliar car while trying to operate an unfamiliar cd player, so I just let that disc play all the way through for about four or five times. I started playing with the various controls in the car to stay awake, and eventually when I found myself opening my eyes and being one lane over I decided to pull over and sleep...my main motivation being not wanting to wreck her brand new car. I had her cell phone and I used it to leave her a message back at the dorm, but dialing was very difficult since I couldn't see details well enough to know if 1 was at the top or the bottom, and then there was the issue of sorting out the jumble of numbers in my head...plus there was the issue of never having needed to dial it before. Eventually I exited and found myself near a residential area, so I stopped in front of someone's house, got in the back seat, took off some interview clothes, and slept. I don't know how long I was there, but I woke up maybe five times to open the door to lean my head out and throw up. It was really hot in that car, and I wasn't thinking straight enough to roll down any of the windows. Anyway, one time I woke up and decided people were probably worrying about me, so I decided to continue. Found my way back to the freeway and promptly decided I was still in no shape to be driving, so I took the next exit and started looking for a place to sleep. As it turns out, I'd nearly invaded a military facility...the guard on the median asked me where I was going, to which I responded, "Uhh, I'm just exploring." So I turned around, got on the freeway again, and took the next exit.* Found a nice park, so I pulled over there and slept again. Don't know how long I was there, but eventually I woke up and it was getting dark. Now my main motivation for continuing was so that I could make it back in time to see the Mummy Returns with my friends...stupid, huh? I was really thirsty and hungry, but I had no appetite. I stopped to get gas and jack in the box, and I was only able to eat maybe five fries before giving up on them. Drove the rest of the way back okay...stayed awake by changing lanes a lot, only this time on purpose. Made it back around 10pm at which time I was hugged, scolded for having turned off the phone, confirmed that we weren't seeing the movie that night, took off my interview clothes, and fell into bed.

Migraines. They suck.

* Addendum: Just talking with robsoft, and he was interested in hearing more about the military base thing, so here goes. So after exiting to find the second place to sleep, I saw the guard in his camouflage uniform standing by his little booth on the center median in the road. When it became clear that I wasn't going to stop on my own, he held up his Halt! hand. When I stopped, he asked me where I was going. Not wanting to say "Just looking for a place to sleep," I instead responded, "Just exploring." He advised me that I was entering a military installation and that I should turn around. So I did.

robsoft also wanted to know a bit more about my migraines in general. I get them maybe four or five times a year. I think they're stress related, I got a bunch of them near the end of school. Notably, the two I described in detail above, and one just after school ended and my job started. The first one happened in 11th grade. It lasted three days, I had no idea what was going on. I still went to school and everything, which wasn't a good move, and none of the drugs I took did jack. As I've probably already mentioned, so far only Excedrin Migraine does anything for me in that condition. I've never seen a doctor about them, but I probably will soon.
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:16 pm

I've heard lots of stories about people who can feel migraines coming in various ways, and cancel all appointments. Those are meant to be due to some kind of chemical imbalance, aren't they? Like, a neurological problem, rather than a physiological one.

Either way, sucks to be you. (There's probably a better way to say that, but that's generally what sympathy amounts to...)

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:33 pm

Someone sent me a link to an online medical reference regarding migraines. I should really get myself looked at. Sounds like I have a form of complicated migraine.

Update: Seeing a doctor tonight at 8:20. Doctor Wang, heh.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:11 am

Saw a doctor. Got an abortive prescription: Maxalt and Tylenol with codeine. Next time I get one, we'll see if these are any better than Excedrin Migraine.

Damn, the girls at the pharmacy were cute!

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:41 am

I'm allergic to codeine. It makes me seriously fucking hyper. Like bounce off the walls kill people and bend spoons with my mind hyper.

I had a flu my sophomore year and college and the dumbass doctor gave me some medicine with codeine in it. It made it even harder for me to sleep and I think I was out of my gourd for the better part of a day.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:51 am

How do you know if you're allergic to certain medications? They always ask me, and I always say "I don't think so." I haven't had much exposure to medications, so who knows?

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:54 am

Basically you're given the medication and you have an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully it's not fatal, if it is i doubt they'd bother writing it on your chart.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:01 am

So it's basically a crapshoot. Great.

Now I'm almost anticipating my next migraine so I can stand and bear witness as this Maxalt kicks some migraine ass. Either that or I'll die from medication allergies...which wouldn't be so bad because sometimes when I have a migraine I want to die.

Eden
Apprentice

Postby Eden » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:39 am

Over the summer I had migraines every single day. I thought I was going to die. It got so bad that I actually had to start sleeping during the day cos the daylight hurt. Sunlight was like a physical blow. It's not so bad now. I have a headache every day, but I can deal with those. I'll get the almost-fainting-from-the-pain migraine about once a week now.

My mom has recurring migraines as well. Hers are caused by the several injuries she had when she was younger. I don't know why I get mine, but I wish they would go the hell away.
Silence - as we grow old / And I will never forget who you are / I'm counting things I have forgotten so far

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:48 am

Maxalt does nothing for mine. Neither does Tylenol with Codiene. Neither does Nortriptilyn. Imitrex and Midrin didn't work. The last time.. they wanted to try Botox.. which I refused to do.
Have they done an MRI or a CT head scan? I'm assuming not.. try to get one.. they can tell if you're getting them because of blood vessel constriction or some other reason.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:39 pm

I don't get migranes, but I do get "regular" headaches on a fairly regular basis. Somtimes, they are downright evil, but most of the time (fortunately) they're not much more than an annoyance. And I hate them. Migranes must be absolutely horrible. I've heard stories about regular migrane sufferers who smack their head against the ground just so they can feel some other sensation ... I think it was on a documentary.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:40 pm

I need to take an aspirin for a mild headache maybe once every 6 months or so. Lucky me. Although my mum gets terrible migraines.
i before e except after a few beers

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:11 pm

Alot of times migraines have a trigger food. For me its egg nog, I drink some of that and I'm fucked ... the most common trigger food is chocolate which sucks for whoeever has that as a trigger.

I hate how the damn things can like paralize you in pain, you can try and fight it but your eyes become senceative to light like your a vampire so if you were doing anything you damn well can't go on with it.

I feel your pain bag.
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

grug
Disciple

Postby grug » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:57 pm

Tweeg wrote:Alot of times migraines have a trigger food. For me its egg nog, I drink some of that and I'm fucked ... the most common trigger food is chocolate which sucks for whoeever has that as a trigger.

I hate how the damn things can like paralize you in pain, you can try and fight it but your eyes become senceative to light like your a vampire so if you were doing anything you damn well can't go on with it.

I feel your pain bag.

my dad's are triggered by chocolate. luckilly migranes are not inherrantly hereditary and i have only had one.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:58 pm

. wrote:Have they done an MRI or a CT head scan? I'm assuming not.. try to get one.. they can tell if you're getting them because of blood vessel constriction or some other reason.

No, last night's visit to the doctor was my first regarding migraines, more of a get-to-know-you visit. I haven't seen a doctor before that since I was a kid.

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:42 pm

Dynagrip wrote:I'm allergic to codeine. It makes me seriously fucking hyper. Like bounce off the walls kill people and bend spoons with my mind hyper.

I'm not sure this can be considered an allergy in the medical term of the word. An allergen is an inert agent that provokes a harmful immunological response in your body. Depending on how and where the allergen is administered, you'll encounter symptoms like swelling, rashes, hives and/or sinus problems. If a high enough dose makes it into the blood stream, you experience anaphylactic shock, which is characterized by a sharp drop in blood pressure, urticaria, and breathing difficulties. This can often be fatal if emergency treatment isn't given immediately.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:27 pm

Yeah, it's a side effect.. not an allergic reaction.

Bag.. if you continue to have migraines on a regular basis.. you need to get either of those tests.. and probably an allergen test.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:49 pm

Well, I usually get about five a year, and there's no reason to believe they'd stop. The doctor last night said I should go have a regular checkup with my "regular" doctor (whom I've never even heard of before yesterday) soon and that I should mention this little visit I had last night. If she recommends tests, then I'll see about getting them.

Migraines. They suck.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:34 pm

Speaking of headaches, does anyone know how long it takes for caffeine to leave the system? I had FAR too much coffee this morning, and my head is throbbing. I've been drinking water, but so far all that's achieved is to make me run to the bathroom a lot.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:59 pm

Totally leave your system? 3 days..
To quit having horrid side effects.. 5-6 hours..
Get over the addiction.. 7 days..

Return to “Angry Thoughts”