Migraines

Politics, Religion, Retards, and Rape Factories.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Paranoid Android
And the meek shall inherit the earth...

Postby Paranoid Android » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:00 pm

My father started to get migraines when I turned 11 the day after my birthday. He would get them every single day. It went on for 3 years. He was on so much medication. It was fucking horrible. I had never seen my father cry until one day he just couldn't take it anymore, I walked in his room by accident I saw him cry, my mother was holding him in her arms. He then decided to stop all the medications and the migraines stoped.

He still gets them once in a while(rarely) but not everyday like he used too. I'v seen him stay in bed all day because of it, which happenned rarely cause he tried to hide all the pain he was going through from me and my sister.

The doctors never found out what was going on with him and he tried EVERYTHING(I'm not kidding), nothing seemed to work until he quit all the medication.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:20 pm

So, I'm finally sick of tossing and turning in bed all day, so I decided to get back on the computer, migraine and all. Well, the worst of it seems to have passed, but there is still a dull ache throughout the right side of my head, and I still don't feel up to ingesting anything. I'm not sure if the Maxalt the doctor prescribed actually did anything since while I was still at work I took an Excedrin Migraine.

mia
Forum Jesus

Postby mia » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:29 am

I don't know if it was suggested, but Bag have you thought of massaging your temples? Just put your finger tips on your temples and massage it in, circular motions. Apply slight pressure, it should hurt a bit, but the end result is nice. =)
piggies

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:44 am

mia wrote: Apply slight pressure, it should hurt a bit, but the end result is nice. =)

fnarr fnarr
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:30 am

Bag of Ass wrote:Crap. Suddenly I'm having difficulty seeing in the center of my vision. That is always the first sign I get for the onset of a migraine. And now there's a potential ache in my right temple. Maybe I should leave work.

Watch out, they might fire you...

Space Monkey
Citadel Vet

Postby Space Monkey » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:32 am

Paranoid Android wrote:My father started to get migraines when I turned 11 the day after my birthday. He would get them every single day. It went on for 3 years. He was on so much medication. It was fucking horrible. I had never seen my father cry until one day he just couldn't take it anymore, I walked in his room by accident I saw him cry, my mother was holding him in her arms. He then decided to stop all the medications and the migraines stoped.

I saw something on the local news or 48 hours or 60 minutes or one of those shows that this is a known phenomenon. They're called kickback headaches, if I recall correctly. I don't recall why they happen, but it wasn't a coincedence that the headaches stopped when he stopped taking meds.
straight to video

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:16 am

If I recall, the effect is somewhat similar to what happens after you spend a weekend on ecstacy--supposedly you can get hit with severe depression simply because the drug's uplifting effects have worn off. Analagously, some people who take headache medicine every day can experience headaches as soon as the current dose wears off...sort of like you're head telling your body "dude, what the fuck, where's my advil?" The best thing you can do is just go off the stuff completely and the withdrawl headaches will stop (or so they said).

skyknyt
Forum Jesus

Postby skyknyt » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:25 am

Yeah, it's called Comparitive Depression (I think) in psychology. The example they use often is PMS. Most women, when they rate their psychological state, get a boost midmonth, rather than dropping at the end of the month. But everyone refers to PMS as a drop in psychological feeling, and compared to midmonth, it is... Even though it's no lower than how they felt at the beginning of the cycle.

skye
"Fuck it, Skye. Let's go bowling." - Square

"Me shut the fuck up .. oh no you are the one who shall be doing the fucking up of the shutting!" - Tweeg

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:06 pm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... 17088_79//

Cool the epilepsy drug topiramate can prevent migraines.
"He who seeks to fight trolls must take care; when you laugh at the Tweeg post, the Tweeg posts laughs at you." - OMGBEES

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:01 pm

Last night sucked. I was able to get out of work early (only three hours of overtime) and went to a bar/restaurant with some coworkers. Had a beer, had some appetizers, and when we finally got seated for dinner I got a damn migraine. I couldn't see clearly in the front and later not on the periphery either. I couldn't interpret the words I was reading from the menu. People were talking and I couldn't figure out what they were saying. I had to really concentrate to get any words out, and they were usually wrong. Oh yeah, and the headachey part. So eventually people figured out I was not doing so well, so they decided I wasn't driving home. My car is now at Daphne's house and I got a ride home from Craig who lives pretty close to me. He's set to pick me up shortly, and Daphne will bring me to my car this afternoon.

When I got home last night, I bolted for the bathroom and two minutes later my stomach was empty. There was residual vomit in my throat and (ugh) in my nose. But damn if that didn't make me feel a whole lot better afterwards. I took some Excedrin Migraine and fell into bed, and for the first few hours I was tossing and turning, dreaming about work. Fuck. Woke up around 1am, couldn't sleep till 2am, then got several hours of pretty good rest. And now for another long day of work...

I don't think the migraine was related to the beer. I've gotten that type of migraine before without any alcohol, and I've had many beers without having that happen. I think it was all the stress from non-stop working lately.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:09 pm

That's really sucky.

I gave my brother a migraine before his high school ball. He vomited, fell asleep and finally turned up, 3 hours late.
It happened because I pinched his neck.
i before e except after a few beers

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:50 pm

Tweeg wrote:Cool the epilepsy drug topiramate can prevent migraines.

Never worked for me. Nor did Depakote. Nor Midrin. Nor anything else.

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:03 pm

Maybe your body is telling you something...

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:08 pm

I would never have imagined SEARING, BLINDING, DEBILITATING PAIN would be my body trying to tell me something..
Thank you, Jayz.. I shall have to look further into it.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:09 pm

Yeah, how profound...

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:23 pm

I meant about the drugs not working, smarty-pants.

But thanks for the sarcasm!

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:02 am

. wrote:I would never have imagined SEARING, BLINDING, DEBILITATING PAIN would be my body trying to tell me something..
Thank you, Jayz.. I shall have to look further into it.

It could be saying "I hate you"
i before e except after a few beers

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:33 pm

pablo banquo wrote:It could be saying "I hate you"

You know, I always assumed it did anyway.. there's no need for the headaches.

And yeah Jayz, I don't bother with any medication for migraines. I just make my room dark, lay down and try to hold very still until it passes.

gorillaman
Minister Of Discussion

Postby gorillaman » Sun May 30, 2004 2:25 am

I think I had my first migraine today. All in all it was fairly mild, but here's what happened anyway.

It started with any old headache I often get from sleeping with my neck in the wrong position, then halfway through the day parts of my vision started greying out and I felt a bit of pain behind my eyes; I just figured I'd been watching too much TV with not enough light, so I went upstairs to read for a bit. That worked for about five minutes until I started having some serious difficulty making out words and understanding sentences, my reading speed dropped about twenty fold and some words I just couldn't comprehend at all. I nearly flipped out when I was testing myself on an e-mail my mum was writing and read 'totalled' as 'jotted' after staring at it for about thirty seconds, arranging the letters in my mind and trying to find a word. I had a quick lie down for about half an hour until my right hand and wrist started tingling, as that faded the right side of my lips started up, then progressively the right sides of my face, nose, teeth and tongue. The chinese food I was eating was very nice, though. After that all cleared, I started getting my words garbled (although I could read again) and finally I quit and went to bed. There wasn't any serious pain until I was walking upstairs and got hit with a sharp gnawing feeling in the left side of my head which went away as soon as I got into bed, but not before I logged onto UO and set up a macro, because there are some things you just can't let go.

I'm now awake again and everything is okay again except for that headache. And I got pk'd.

Luckily I'm going to see my GP in a couple of days anyway to find out which one of these repetitive stress injuries I've inflicted on myself, so I can bring it up then and he can tell me, "Oh yes, your grandmother had a lot of migraines as well did she? Ok, you're going to spend the rest of your life in agony."

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Sun May 30, 2004 5:03 am

I think that's called a "stroke."

Return to “Angry Thoughts”