Robs bloody home-made mp3 repository (and Spork's vids)

Strut your ham. Eat your shorts. OMGBEEGEES

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:17 pm

Rob wrote:My cold is getting better fast now (I sweated it out last night) and I hope to be able to sing, sorry, caterwaul again by the weekend.

...like a cat in heat.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:47 pm

Lucky for you that I'm not really much better, then, innit? :-)
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:00 am

Alright, I need some help again. I've borrowed a microphone from a friend and have it plugged into my regular old soundcard. I just plan on doing some simple "live" recordings until I can get something better set up.

Anyways, with the microphone hooked up, when I start recording anything, voice or guitar, etc, it's super quiet. I had to turn the volume up to max on the software mixer I was using before I heard anything...

So if anyone could help with this, that'd be dandy.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:45 pm

Did you check the Mic/Line In volume in Windows' volume control panel? That will effect the level going in to all your software.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:15 pm

A lot of soundcards have something that'll boost the gain on the mic port, even beyond the mic recording volume slider. On my Soundstorm, it's just a little checkbox that says "boost". On the Audigy, there was a dropdown menu where I could choose how many decibells to boost it by. Also, if you have a 5.1 soundcard, make sure it's not in analogue five-speaker mode - a lot of those use the mic port to power one set of the speakers.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:41 pm

Alright, so I boosted the sound, and that works now...

BUT, when I record it still sounds like the air is way louder than myself...like when you turn the volume up really loud to hear something and get that background noise in your speakers or headphones...anyone know if I can get rid of this?

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:27 pm

Smokin_Jayz wrote:Alright, so I boosted the sound, and that works now...

BUT, when I record it still sounds like the air is way louder than myself...like when you turn the volume up really loud to hear something and get that background noise in your speakers or headphones...anyone know if I can get rid of this?

Baffling, and aiming your mic well. Making sure that you're in a pretty quiet place.

Is this just a minijack mic, or a real mic?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:47 pm

A real microphone plugged straight into my soundcard.

I assume baffling it means that thing with the pantyhose and coathanger? Either way, I put on a sock on it and that seemed to help.

I think I have this thing down, so if everything goes well I might have some of my own submissions before christmas...

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:09 pm

Jayz, try turning the microphone sideways, and singing into the space just in front of it. That way exhaled air coming from your mouth doesn't go directly into the microphone and make the ribbon go all nutty (I'm assuming its a ribbon microphone).
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:20 pm

Ahh, good suggestion. Thanks.

chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion

Postby chickenlips » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Hey Rob, can I use your songs for a RPG character? I'm playing this chick who writes songs, and it turns out that I really can't.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:39 pm

Sure, whatever. :-)
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion

Postby chickenlips » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:56 pm

Rob wrote:Sure, whatever. :-)

Woo! Who's a rock star?

(I want songs that simultaneously don't suck and aren't googleable. And it's hard to do without violent tone changes.)

chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion

Postby chickenlips » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:19 am

Okay, now you need to make mp3s of Waiting For The Storm (most of all), Too Many Times, I Would Tell You, I Almost Forgot, Steal, Dirty Wash, Home (To Me), A Little More, Untitled, Slave, Oh No, So..., and Reason.

(Unless you have, and all my thread scanning is for nought.)

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:27 am

I've got one called "Just Don't Believe" that is lyrically covered in the list here, I think.

That's the one that will be next uploaded, as I've pretty-much got the finger picked "double-stop" verse part sorted, and I really like singing it (gulp....).

Next up is Plut's "Angelina", which she has been waiting very patiently for, for what seems like forever now. There was a recording uploaded but it's not really indicative of what the song is about.

It would be nice to have a go at "Storm", although really I need a haunting female vocal to sort of 'wooo' around in the background here and there.
Any takers?
Chickenlips? Water Wings? Plut? :-)

chickenlips
Minister Of Discussion

Postby chickenlips » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:49 am

Rob wrote:It would be nice to have a go at "Storm", although really I need a haunting female vocal to sort of 'wooo' around in the background here and there.
Any takers?
Chickenlips? Water Wings? Plut? :-)

You know I'd be glad to!

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:52 am

Yeah, and I sound like a man. That's kind of haunting, no?

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:14 pm

Unconditional Love Reaction (3Mb mp3)

Not planned, and not much of a song. Just sort of happened while I was trying to learn about mic-ing up the guitar amp. There are three different guitar sounds in there; but more importantly the (rather breathless) vocal and the backing guitar were both played together at the same time (LIVE!!) but recorded on seperate mics and mixed individually on different tracks. Wooo - starting to get more and more hi-tech now! :-)

Infamous mostly because it's the recording debut of Louise (the new guitar) and of Hershell Q. Winchester (the vibrato pedal that gives all of the guitars that faint "shimmer" sound).

The lyrics don't mean anything in particular but can be found here for what they're worth:
http://www.citadeloftruth.com/members/r ... tion.shtml

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:01 pm

Um. Woah, would you check out the fucking dust in here?

New track. First one in a while. It's called 'I Would Tell You' and you can find it, should you wish to, via a link on this page here;

http://web.mac.com/robuttley/iWeb/robut ... Music.html

If you'd rather get a direct MP3 download link for it, fear not (I gather that the Mac-ness of my website can cause it to look shite in some browsers, and if you don't have the right kind of plug-in you might not be able to save the track to your hard drive, which sucks - sorry, I'm working on it).

http://www.robuttley.com/Music/mp3s/IWo ... emixed.mp3

should see you right with a right-click kinda thing.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Rob wrote: if you don't have the right kind of plug-in you might not be able to save the track to your hard drive

That being Quicktime Pro... :|

Return to “Creative Thoughts”