Robs bloody home-made mp3 repository (and Spork's vids)

Strut your ham. Eat your shorts. OMGBEEGEES

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Robs bloody home-made mp3 repository (and Spork's vids)

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:30 am

Er, here really because every now and then someone PMs me for the Thorn Show theme....

...and because I've lost track of all the other places around here where I've posted links to the rest of them.

Less Jokey
Julie's Ride
Herself, Today
So Low
Circles To Squares
The Day She Went Away
Let Me
My Pick Me Up

+
Almost Out Of Time
Modern Summer Magic

+
Affinity

+
Good Times

+
The Longest Week
Ending Of The World

+
Baffle (Introduction)
Instead previously called "Rock In My Bed"
Some Fantastic
Time

+ with new guitar & recording desk (Cosy Nook Sessions)
Our Summer
Want You Back
Monica Jam

+ again with new guitar & recording desk (Late November 2003)
Wasted Again
Letter Never Sent
Right Now

+ again with new electric guitar (Louise) & shimmery vibrato noises (Feb 2004)
Unconditional Love Reaction

+ with The Fire Escape
Paperback People
Circles To Squares

More Jokey
3k Noodle Joy
Nowhere Man Jam
Wankety Piss Chips
Fight (Thorn Show)
The Thorn Show Theme
Rob's Xmas Address

More shit as/when it happens.

Sorry. :-)
Last edited by Rob on Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:18 pm

And Andrew's music videos of Rob's MP3s...

Rob's Christmas Address
Wankety Piss Chips
NowhereManJam

:rotate:

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:37 pm

Hahhhhhhahahhaha....

you're not wired up right, you daft bast. I loved 'em.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:46 pm

Aaw, thanks... That's the best compliment I could ever hope for...

:rotate:

Lethe
Colonel Catfork

Postby Lethe » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:15 pm

Both of you are completely crazy.

Mind, I wouldn't have it any other way. :P

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Thank you Lethe; of course we're crazy. You get a Council Tax reduction in the United Kingdom if you can prove you're nuts. Everyone does it, darling.

Actually, I have a serious quandry here, and so I'll ask you guys because I'm sure to get a non-serious answer.

A few people here (as in, geographically near to me right now, rather than on the forum) have heard some of my less-jokey tunes and are divided in opinions of which direction I should move in.

Some say the acoustic guitar rambles are better, some say the electronic stuff (some of which is here*) is better, and one says that electric guitar sound in "Julies Ride" is just plain brilliant and I should just go find myself a singer and continue to make shit like that.

Me, I dunno. Maybe I'll continue to drift between different things. I'm not sure which direction (if any) I ought to pursue.

Anyone care enough to offer any constructive criticism? Anyone actually heard any of them? :-)

*Actually, I just noticed that most of my tracks have been removed from mp3.com. I'll upload them all to the CoT server instead and link to them from in this topic somewhere. Bastards.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:31 pm

I'm DLing Circles to Squares now, because I'm conceited enough to believe that it's about me!
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:57 pm

Wow, that was really quite good. I think you should get a new singer, but other than that, I really like it.

EDIT: The other thing is, it seems like it needs some point where it breaks the tension, for at least a little bit.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:24 pm

Thanks Square, I really appreciate the feedback.

On the singer front - yeah. I wish I could find someone.
All my recordings are really just rough demos of a song or an idea. Back when I was in a band, I used to make lots of recordings like this and the band would use them to learn the song. The singer would learn the words and some of the basic inflexion & vocal melody, but he would add his own ideas (which were usually much better). Plus, he had a decent singing voice, which made a big difference. :-)

When I first wrote that particular song, it had different lyrics (the singer scrapped most of my lyrics and wrote his own). Midway through the song there was a break-bit where we had the sound of a radio being tuned, sort-of-competing between 2 different stations. A little bit like the famous Floyd bit, but more of a thing between two channels rather than a sweep of tunings. It made sense in the context of his lyrics, and it worked really, really well.

All of my current work lacks that kind of extra dimension. My problem is that I need an editor, or a foil at least; someone to tell me when something is too long, or has become unfocused, or needs a break or change of pace etc. When I was in a band I had that because I would write material and then everyone would join in and help me finish it off. Now I work on my own (and very sporadically at that), I don't have anyone in that kind of "sounding board" role.... well, other than you guys. :-)

Thanks again for the comments. :-)

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:41 pm

Oh, here are (probably) the better of the electronic tracks that were hosted on mp3.com. As hinted above, they could do with a little editing I guess. Having said that, they're easily the most complete, polished, "finished" tracks of the lot.

Almost Out Of Time
"Ever had the feeling that you're about to miss out on something? This is the soundtrack to that fear." (4.5Mb)
Modern Summer Magic
"Laze away in the afternoon sunshine." (5Mb) contains awesome spoken part!! :-)

(edit of edit: files should be there now. Bloody firewalls....)

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:02 pm

I prefer the acoustic/ solo singing, myself. But I suppose that's because I play the guitar and kind of sing as well, so I tend to listen to more of that music. The other stuff just seems way to "constructed" to me, whereas the acoustic gives you a way more intimate and personal feel to the music.

mtdew
Politically Disheveled

Postby mtdew » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:24 pm

Smokin_Jayz wrote:I prefer the acoustic/ solo singing, myself.

Give Bright Eyes a listen, if you don't know him or can find him.

Eliot Smith and Nick Drake, of course, as well.
beware the angry can of mountain dew
stomping around and craving blood.

skyknyt
Forum Jesus

Postby skyknyt » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:32 pm

I dig them both, but I'd have liked it if the tempo of modern summer magic was just a *tad* faster (the drumbeat in the background, that is).

skye
"Fuck it, Skye. Let's go bowling." - Square

"Me shut the fuck up .. oh no you are the one who shall be doing the fucking up of the shutting!" - Tweeg

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:17 pm

Thanks Skye. It's quite hard to listen to MSM now because it did turn out to be a bit more lazy than I intended. And AOOT - well, the sort of bongo/timpani drum effects didn't really come off. Although I was fairly happy with the piano "solos".

I have a new piece that should be finished this weekend. I'm hopeful that Spork might be inspired to do something more serious with it. I'll post a preview of the track here as soon as there's enough to make it worthwhile. Right now I have about a minute of it.

Smokin_Jayz
Secretary of Debauchery

Postby Smokin_Jayz » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:05 pm

mtdew wrote:
Smokin_Jayz wrote:I prefer the acoustic/ solo singing, myself.

Give Bright Eyes a listen, if you don't know him or can find him.

Eliot Smith and Nick Drake, of course, as well.

Way ahead of you my man.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:18 pm

Well, this one's for mtdew then.

Affinity (about 4.3Mb)
Recorded it this afternoon with the acoustic. Got a few level mixing problems in places, but I'm slowly getting the hang of this home recording shite. :-)
If get a chance to do a better mixdown in the next few days I will. Shame really.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:31 pm

I'm apparently going slightly deaf, I can barely hear your voice on most of the tracks.
I dig the acoustic ones, not as much on the electronic ones. ( Like what others have said. ) I really like the sound of your guitar.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:02 pm

. wrote:I'm apparently going slightly deaf, I can barely hear your voice on most of the tracks.
I dig the acoustic ones, not as much on the electronic ones. ( Like what others have said. ) I really like the sound of your guitar.

Thanks Plut. The mixing on most of the recordings is bad, as I'm not really very good at it yet; to be honest though, most of the vocal performances are really bad anyway so you're not missing much! My voice sits in the middle ground where most of the rest of the music sits, so it's all a bit muddy to be honest. Having the leftovers of a stinking cold hasn't helped the performance on Affinity, either. :-)

Having said all that, partially from the reaction this stuff has gotten here on the forum, and partially from my own feelings about playing these songs, I seem to be gaining more confidence about playing my songs with just a guitar or two.

Maybe I will concentrate more on that kind of thing. I certainly enjoy "busking" the songs with a guitar much more than I enjoy playing around with sequencers and shit.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:36 am

I want to be in a band.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:46 am

Me too.

Return to “Creative Thoughts”