Robs bloody home-made mp3 repository (and Spork's vids)

Strut your ham. Eat your shorts. OMGBEEGEES

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:31 pm

You can try sending it to me, Dyna. At the 2 bit address.
I don't know the attachment limits on that email.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:09 pm

?
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:34 am

Bah, I tried to email it to plut, no dice.

Anyone else want to help me out here?

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:24 am

You know a bit or 2 about FTP?

mtdew
Politically Disheveled

Postby mtdew » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:34 am

I've heard the antics, and indeed they are funny. Dyna, I'd readily host it for you, but I seem to have misplaced my CoT FTP pass somewhere.

P.S. Any help on that would be appreciated quite a bit. Packages could be sent. Packages of sweets and/or tarts.
beware the angry can of mountain dew
stomping around and craving blood.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:10 am

I've sent mtdew his ftp details again.

You can also send it to me if you want it hosting here (which is basically what dew is offering, anyway).
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

mtdew
Politically Disheveled

Postby mtdew » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:53 am

Uploaded.

Dyna speaks! ... Though the sound quality sucks. You'll hear Dyna about half way through the mp3. Have fun.

The bit about the face fucking dog is probably the best. Care to set the scene, Dyna? Who are the other voices we hear?
beware the angry can of mountain dew
stomping around and craving blood.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:28 pm

The face fucking dog was at a birthday party for a friend, probably around the summer of 8th or 9th grade. Sean, the birthday kid, had this old, half blind dog that would fuck a pillow all the time.

There was this stupid neighborkid that always hung around us and we didnt' really like him. He was a spoiled shit and just pretty obnoxious.
So my trickster's mind came up with a spot of torture. I would feel bad about this if uh, well, my conscience was more fully developed.

The other two voices are Birk and denihilst, denihilist comes through the clearest. They use Ventrilo to cohost the TTB radioshow and I believe that's why the quality on Birk's end is a bit lower.

Fun stuff, and thanks for hosting it mtdew.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:22 pm

So yeah.

These three come from the "Cosy Nook Sessions" (the name of the cottage).

Our Summer - 3Mb.
This is the closest to the "track in my head" I've ever managed to get - this really sounds pretty much like I intend the song to. The really simple harmonica note - more like a passing train, dripping with reverb - cool. I ought to write down how I did that bit. :-)

Want You Back - 5Mb.
Wow. Can't believe how much "downer" this sounds than I meant it to. Hmmm.
A throwaway guitar "solo" which just seems to work better than any other solo I've ever done. I'm pretty happy with it, although it's very rough and ready. Vocals a bit ropey though - I could do with a singer!!!!

Monica Jam - 3Mb.
This is for hardcore followers only. It was the first thing I recorded on the new desk, and you can hear the digital distortion in the harmonica where I hadn't got the input levels right. I keep the recording around because in a few months time it might be interesting to try the "track" (a 2 minute throwaway idea) all over again, to see if I'm learning anything.

My "studio" looked like this:
<div align=center>

</div>

I'll clean-up and post more shots of the countryside and the cottage when I get a tick.

The guitar in the picture is the new one I bought a couple of months ago, it's not "Red" - the old faithful I normally use, and which has done all the other recordings you might have heard.
You might notice a slightly brighter guitar sound in these tracks, that's because this one uses a lighter gauge string which means a little more "brightness", a little less "sustain".

The Real Red Menace
Citadel Legend

Postby The Real Red Menace » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:42 pm

It sounds nice, but you should work to sing a bit more clearly. It was kind of muddy and couldn't, kind of like you were muttering a bit. From the style of the music, it seems you're going for that somewhat, but there's a happy medium. The first one is most guilty of this, I think.

Mind the disclaimer of course, that when it comes to music I wouldn't know my ass from a guitar blow to the head.
"Behold I am the Dragon, before me you rightly tremble!"

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:10 pm

Cool, thanks. I appreciate the constructive criticism. :-)

If it helps at all, the lyrics etc can be found here:
http://www.citadeloftruth.com/members/rob/music.shtml

And the countryside/cottage stuff is here:
http://www.citadeloftruth.com/members/r ... nook.shtml

The Real Red Menace
Citadel Legend

Postby The Real Red Menace » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:33 am

Cool. I assumed it was all original goodness sprung from the Head of Rob (capitals*ation optional). It sounded very nice, upon re-reading it, my post might have sounded like a polite way of saying 'it sucked'. Far from it.

Nice photos on that page too. I'm assuming those will all be in the CD booklet? :wink:

*Spelled with an 's' to make you British comfortable

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:29 pm

Thanks.

You'd have to ask Plut about the booklet - I've put everything into her creative, capable hands.

There's a woman who lives near me who has done some singing herself, semi-professionally (clubs & stuff like that). She has said more than once before that she would love to come and have a go at singing some of them for me, but....

thing is, they're sort-of bloke songs. I could change the lyrics I guess, but I don't think that they'd work as girl songs. She's also more of a Patsy Cline kinda vibe, but...

Having said that, I promised her a while ago that we'd sort something out and give it a try for an afternoon, so it's something I ought to do.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:07 pm

Concerning the booklet, yeah, there will be some equipment pictures, mainly with lyrics over them. Or something of the sort.

Man, oh man, Rob.
Want You Back depresses the living hell out of me. I love it, but damn, how depressing. I was really digging the guitar solo.
Monica Jam has some squealy, distorted harmonica sections that just killed me. I know you warned us about them, but whoo.
Our Summer is probably one of my favourites. It's only in some sections that your voice should be slightly more forward. You manage it quite well for most of the song.
On the note of your harmonica work. I dug it, I like the sound of the harmonica in general.. and think you're well on your way to playing it quite well. There were a couple spots where you could tell you were sucking in hard and it sounded kind of odd, that could be just me.

Fuck getting another singer, Rob. I'm paying to hear you!*
Although, I guess some background vocals would be okay.

* I'm actually not paying a damn thing.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:28 pm

Woo - cool.

I could mix Our Summer again - the joy of the kit I've got now is that it's fairly easy for me to go back and "bring the vocals out" a bit. I tend to keep them down in the mix simply because I can't sing, it's as much for that reason as for stylistic reasons.

I'll remix the track again during the week and see how it works out. I've also got a recording for another track (you may have noticed that the BP&C track "Not Beaten Yet" has been dropped and replaced with "Want You Back"). Trouble is the guide vocal for it was so bad that I'm not planning to finish it off, it's just wallowing in misery I guess. Maybe that's one I'll give someone else to sing.

As for the track I am supposed to be doing specifically for you - I continue to be unable to play it. I can actually play the chords easier on a keyboard (!) than the guitar - I just can't play Bb chords from Cs or Fs quickly - they just sound shit. I'll keep practising. I tried to change the key of the song to avoid having to make that particular chord shape, but it sounds wrong. It's in the right key, it's my playing that needs work. :-)

And the harmonica squeal makes me wince - I had no idea how loud it was (I listen to the backing track on headphones, so you don't really appreciate how much noise you're making with the actual thing you're playing/recording at the time - so I sing too quietly and I play harmonica far too loudly). Next time I'll move closer/further away from the mic as required. :-)

At least I know what digital distortion sounds like now - I much prefer the warm analogue distortion effect to the nasty, clipped, sharp digital one.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:16 pm

See if it sounds as woolly now.

Our Summer - I've overwritten the old one with this link.

And yeah, I'm supposed to be working, getting some shit together for tomorrow. :-)

The Real Red Menace
Citadel Legend

Postby The Real Red Menace » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:02 pm

Much better.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:25 pm

Awesome, simply awesome.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:10 pm

Thank you both. For what it's worth, this mix of Our Summer is pretty much how it sounds "live" - it's pretty much nailed the idea. So you have an idea of what I was trying to make the others sound like.

And "Want You Back" is being regarded by other people as the most mournful, depressing thing I've ever recorded, which is strange because;
a) it's not actually as downbeat as it might seem
b) it's nowhere near the most downbeat song I've got in my bag
c) I actually think that Our Summer is more downbeat in it's own way.

Anyway, it's all to pot now - with my luck, I'll suddenly hit a rich vein of being a really cheery fucker, thus putting paid to my ambitions of finishing off this project of general downbeat miserableness and weary melancholy.

I suspect my next project will be called "Singing In The Rain (and other urban legends)".

Or possibly "Smileyhappylaughterjoy", one of my favourite made-up robwords.

mia
Forum Jesus

Postby mia » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:15 pm

The furniture is awesome, but is your curtain slanting or the room is slanty?
piggies

Return to “Creative Thoughts”