Dirty Fun With Half-Life 2! [GFX]

Strut your ham. Eat your shorts. OMGBEEGEES

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Dirty Fun With Half-Life 2! [GFX]

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:35 am

So. Play Half-Life 2, get Garry's mod, or any other mod available out there, and post the results that I know only the finely honed minds here at the CoT can produce.

Right, I've only got 1/2 of the chessboard done, because it was a bitch.

and

Cheapest. Amusement Park. Evah.

(Yeah, sue me; it's a bit late to be coming up with clever subtitles, alright?!)

(:rotate:)
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:48 pm

You have far too much time on your hands with the chessboard, TMCM...

I present for your enjoyment: The Bathtub Catapult. Or bathapult, if you'd prefer.

<div align="center">Image
Testing with a breezeblock...</div>

Result: Success</div>

More thrust and more amusing ammunition...</div>

Result: Resounding success.</div>

:rotate:

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:06 pm

I just realized there was a Trabant in HL2,

http://www.garry.tv/img/sa/mymod/spawnmenu.jpg

I demand a Trabbi-transformer...
Get immortal, or die trying.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:10 am

SporkAndrew wrote:You have far too much time on your hands with the chessboard, TMCM...

Yeah, um... yeah. Can't really argue with that. :) I still haven't figured out what I'm going to use for Rooks on the "bad guy" side of the board...

That's good stuff, Spork. I often find myself using the physics gun to launch the G-man into the air just for the pleasure of watching him hit the ground. Or I just attach a few balloons to him.

note: A couple of bugs I've found with the mod that are worth mentioning:

1. Don't make a thrust canister dissapear when it's above the walls of the playing field. It doesn't crash every time you do this, but it's often enough to be annoying.

2. When dropping a person or object onto the field from the spawn menu, make sure you're looking up in the air or else there's a good chance whatever you ask for will end up partially stuck in the ground...
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:07 pm

where do i DL this fun stuff? and/or is it hard to program the physics/maps?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:36 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:2. When dropping a person or object onto the field from the spawn menu, make sure you're looking up in the air or else there's a good chance whatever you ask for will end up partially stuck in the ground...

Man, I have done that far too many times. There's been times when the ground has been littered with people / things half sticking out. So annoying.

And bobo - Get Garry's mod here, install it, run it via Steam and just play around. The manipulator is pretty easy to get to grips with, and everything's well documented in-game.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:26 am

hobokenbob wrote:where do i DL this fun stuff? and/or is it hard to program the physics/maps?

You don't really program the maps, you just get the one. It's got a few different areas, though, and you can drop pretty much every sprite from the game into this area and do pretty much whatever you want with them.

The physics basically revolve around being able to pick up objects and freeze them in midair; also, you can grab any of the human(oid) characters you drop onto the map on any of their articulation points and arrange them however you want.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:54 pm

i played around a bit, i still don't think i understand too welll. spawning people was kinda tough to figure out. is there another way besides using the console? no matter which way i point when i spawn someone, it always spawns right where i'm standing and i'm "stuck" inside him, and can't noclip out.. i only ended up getting unstuck by "rocketjumping" out ona stream of cinderblocks...

theres a screenshot on the websigth of a big huge menu list of things to spawn but for the life of me i can't figure out how to bring it up.

also, i made a little train, as well as a rocket carousel. wee.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:53 pm

Hold down Q to bring up the spawn menu... Then whatever you want is spawned where the crosshair is.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:25 pm

i tried f, i tried g, h, i even tried tab.. QQ

Jason Mustian

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you this evening...

A dumpster full of watermelons.</div>

...And a grenade.</div>

And the debris, half-way through the explosion, about five minutes later once HL2 had decided where every single bit of broken melon would go...</div>

Space Monkey
Citadel Vet

Postby Space Monkey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:11 pm

Damn it. My computer arrived at school today, and they said they'd bring it by tonight. It's now after 10pm... I don't think it's coming.

Since this thread was started, fucking around with HL2 is pretty much all I've wanted my computer for. I want it sooooo.
straight to video

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:31 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
hobokenbob wrote:where do i DL this fun stuff? and/or is it hard to program the physics/maps?

You don't really program the maps, you just get the one. It's got a few different areas, though, and you can drop pretty much every sprite from the game into this area and do pretty much whatever you want with them.

The physics basically revolve around being able to pick up objects and freeze them in midair; also, you can grab any of the human(oid) characters you drop onto the map on any of their articulation points and arrange them however you want.

????

HL2 has sprites in it? Do they do that wierd thing that Vexx apparently did, where they program 2D games into the textures?

God damn you, now I'm obligated to reply to other threads, and I don't want to at all.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm

After the Gordon Freeman incident, Dr Breen never did get his office back to how he liked it.

<div align="center">Image</div>

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:43 pm

SporkAndrew wrote:After the Gordon Freeman incident, Dr Breen never did get his office back to how he liked it.

Su perb. :)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:47 pm

dogmeat wrote:Su perb. :)

I thank you.

I've had an obsession recently with filling things with other things... Starting from the "I wonder if my computer can handle a dumpster full of melons" which progressed on to "maybe filling a bathtub with these dead babies would be funny."

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:09 pm

So... sprites?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:44 am

I think she just used "sprites" as a cover-all word to describe objects / people / things that appear in the game...

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:29 am

Yeah, Spork's right. I wasn't using "sprites" in the technical I-know-what-I'm-talking-about sense, but as a blanket covering all the movable objects.

That's some great stuff there, man. I haven't abandoned this thread, I've just been busy with real life stuff, unfortunately, and haven't had the time to sit down and construct a couple of the scenes I've got in mind. I may do 'em tonight before I go to bed, though.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:32 am

Speaking of...

Parts 2 and 3 of the Happy Baby Series!

The G-Man relaxes after a hard day at the office...

Pull!

also...

VH1 Presents: Billy Bob Thornton, After The Fall

Return to “Creative Thoughts”