Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:56 pm

He has a cartoon on XBox Live?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 am

nobody_important wrote:Heh... it seems like regularity and consistency in updates make for a better webcomic than the slow, sporadic ones (unless your name rhymes with "Tim Buckley.")

That's the messed up part. Dresden Codak is all kinds of fantastic. But it's supposed to be updated on Mondays. And since his first comic after leaving his job in early November, we've gotten... about six new comics. Mind you, I'm not complaining; I try not to about free entertainment. But it doesn't seem like the best business model in the world.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm

I recall somewhere PA (either Mike or Jerry) said that if there's one thing more important than anything in the success of a web-comic it is to post regularly and not be late. I'd say it makes alot of sense.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:59 pm

What I'm wondering now is: Did you use 9/11 as opposed to 9-1-1 on purpose? Is there some sort of hidden artistic commentary on our times, or has the 9/11 symbol completely eaten the 9-1-1 as a meme?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:13 pm

@hobo - I was totally wondering that myself, thought it had just become some kind of shorthand reference that wasn't so obvious across the pond.

Incidentally, was the date 9/11 actually chosen for it's relevance to the US 'call for help' number? I don't ever remember reading that it had been a deliberate choice of date, BICBW.
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 pm

no I believe but cannot proove this was unintentional.

because I cannot fathom a war against ironic jhadists

Jason Mustian

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Rob wrote:@hobo

heheh

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 am

hobokenbob wrote:What I'm wondering now is: Did you use 9/11 as opposed to 9-1-1 on purpose? Is there some sort of hidden artistic commentary on our times, or has the 9/11 symbol completely eaten the 9-1-1 as a meme?

That's actually a really interesting question. I used the 9/11 to create a sort of subconscious "ping" -- if you'll forgive the pretentiousness for just a moment -- that conjured up the ideas of co-operation and charity immediately following the 9/11 attacks. The idea being that the same intrinsic spark of mutual goodwill evident in the face of the (in)famous terrorist attack is at play when people see a heart attack victim collapse in the streets. But there's something more as well.. the idea that the only way to defeat our intimidating, faceless evils is to become a great, faceless "we" ourselves, deflecting their slings and arrows with a great shield made up collectively of all our good works and ideas.

I was pretty much on auto pilot when I wrote it, and the offending '/' just sort of slipped in. And stripgenerator doesn't let you go back once you've published. Also, I may have been inebriated.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:20 pm

I just thought you were saying it differently because you're from Montana. I've never been there, so I have no experience with the dialect.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 am

Rob wrote:@hobo - I was totally wondering that myself, thought it had just become some kind of shorthand reference that wasn't so obvious across the pond.

Incidentally, was the date 9/11 actually chosen for it's relevance to the US 'call for help' number? I don't ever remember reading that it had been a deliberate choice of date, BICBW.

Never, ever go to a conspiracy forum and ask this. You will be deluged with non-stop numerological 'meanings' to 9, 1, and 1.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:45 am

OMGBEES wrote:I just thought you were saying it differently because you're from Montana. I've never been there, so I have no experience with the dialect.

I pronounce it "nine-one-one", although my grandpa has always pronounced it "nine-eleven." Weird, huh?

There are a few places with distinctive accents (Butte, tiny towns Eastern Montana [especially the closer you get to the Dakotas], Hardin and Wolfpoint and other towns next to / in the reservations) but most of the state is firmly in "neutral accent" territory, which I've heard is desirable if you want to become a news anchor. Then again, it could be the whole "KAOS speak perfect English, Control speak with accent" thing, too.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't like how we refer to that event as nine-eleven. As far as I know, we don't refer to any other major event/date as two numbers. We don't call D-Day six-six. We don't call the Hiroshima bombing eight-six. We don't call Christmas twelve-twenty-five. We don't call July 4th seven-four.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 pm

It's been shortened from "the events of 9/11," which is what the press called it. I think the idea was that naming it would trivialize it. Because D-Day or the Japanese nukes were obviously far less important.

I don't know, Americans are fucks, what do you want?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:08 am

Bag of Ass wrote:I don't like how we refer to that event as nine-eleven. As far as I know, we don't refer to any other major event/date as two numbers. We don't call D-Day six-six. We don't call the Hiroshima bombing eight-six. We don't call Christmas twelve-twenty-five. We don't call July 4th seven-four.

What else could you really call it, though? I mean, most other large-scale, horrible events have the name of wherever they took place; Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, etc. Katrina, the name of the hurricane, now serves as a catch-all for the event as a whole, and its aftermath.

9/11 doesn't really have that. You can't exactly refer to it as "New York", "WTC", "plane", "Pentagon", etc.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 am

I will be honest, I generally call it "the World Trade Center thingy" or something similar, even though I know that's a horrible name. One, it downplays it and two, yeah, nothing about the Pentagon. I don't care.

I call 9-1-1, nine hundred and eleven. It really rolls off the tongue in an emergency. Although, we have found out, in an emergency, my brother-in-law can't figure out where the 9 is.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:37 am

We call it nine-eleven here. We got that from American media.

Hell, the way we do our dates, that would make it 9th of November. So dumb.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Oh man. My mom taught me the Day-Month thing and international sevens. I got so screamed at in elementary school for those.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:37 am

Yes, for all intents and purposes, it's a re-posting of what I already said on the matter in the So How Was Your Day? thread... but as a comic.

Plus, I do like the phrase "boiling ass fat".

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 am

Heh, the guyis getting eaten in the last panel.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 am

A MAN TOLD ME THIS. HE KNOWS THINGS.

Return to “Creative Thoughts”