Playing with myself...

Strut your ham. Eat your shorts. OMGBEEGEES

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Playing with myself...

Postby nobody_important » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 am

I had one of those quarter-life crisis things this weekend. It would take far too long to explain, except that it involved talking about WoW with someone. Well, actually, it involved someone talking WoW at me because I quit almost a year ago and people still think I want to hear about it and since I've been gone they really made leveling easier Stranglethorn practically flies by and there's a whole row of NPCs waiting with glittery purple items once you hit 70 and RRRAAGGHH GENITAL FUNGUS IS MORE INTERESTING TO ME THAN THIS.

*ahem*

Anyway, I realized that even though I've cut the demon WoW out of my life and spend my days doing exciting, non-video game things, I still don't have a lot to show for aside from a bucketload of fixed software defects and a recipe for (subjectively) the world's best cup of coffee. So I bought a USB interface for my guitar/keyboard and decided to actually try and get something down on paper (or cold, unfeeling digital ether as the case may be.)

I threw a few drum loops together with Hydrogen, cranked my pickups down to sound like a bass, and then played some pentatonics over the whole mess. And the result, while amateurish, made me happy. So I decided that I wanted to put it on my MySpace profile, so the ten people on my Friends list could hear it too.

But it turns out that you have to register yourself as a band on MySpace to upload songs. So I did. But then it transpired that I needed to come up with a name for the band. And a bio. And all kinds of other stupidity. But I did it anyway.

So here it is: http://www.myspace.com/mannfredvonouthaus

The song is called Hit & Run, and the band is apparently called Mannfred von Outhaus because I thought I was entering my name (which isn't Mannfred von Outhaus, but I believe in Internet Anonymity.) So I ran with it.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 pm

I like it!

Also, genital fungus is kind of interesting. I would link you but they put a picture of a naked lady on it to seem artistic so it's kind of NSFW.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:59 pm

*perk* worlds best cup of coffee?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 am

OMGBEES wrote:I like it!

Also, genital fungus is kind of interesting. I would link you but they put a picture of a naked lady on it to seem artistic so it's kind of NSFW.

Heh, thank you. Is it bad that I read the second paragraph and immediately thought "hey, album art!" Come to think of it, I think I've actually seen that picture before.

Also, as I think about it, WoW seems to have a lot in common with genital fungus... it's looked down upon in certain social circles and easily passed on to friends.

hobokenbob wrote:*perk* worlds best cup of coffee?

I've actually tried to write it up on the CoT a few times, but it always devolves into anal-retentive craziness.

Basically, you use a burr grinder set to the coarsest setting. Then, you fill a French press up with hot water and let it sit for about a minute. Then you empty it, dry it out, dump your grounds in and let them sit for another minute or so. I'm not sure of the exact science of this, but I've been assured that letting the grounds warm up a little before hitting them with hot water doesn't "shock" them as much. Then you fill it to the predetermined line with hot water, making sure to use an even filling pattern that doesn't concentrate the hot water on one area for too long.

As soon as you're done filling, stir the grounds with something that won't ding up the side of your carafe and start a timer for four minutes. If you leave it longer than four minutes, it goes bitter and horrible. If you go less than four minutes, it's love in a canoe. Push the plunger down as soon as the time goes off and pour immediately. After twenty minutes, discard any remaining coffee in the pot.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:21 am

It's the same for coffee machines. The longer you let the water run for, the more bitter the coffee is going to be. A good barista is able to watch until the crema stops pouring.
i before e except after a few beers

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 am

Nice tune! Then I tried to download it and realised I'd vaped my Myspace account a while back. Doh!

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 am

I enjoyed it. The bassline is especially funky.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:33 am

hobokenbob wrote:It's the same for coffee machines. The longer you let the water run for, the more bitter the coffee is going to be. A good barista is able to watch until the crema stops pouring.

That's pretty cool. It also explains why the stuff they brew at the office tastes like particle board.

dogmeat wrote:Nice tune! Then I tried to download it and realised I'd vaped my Myspace account a while back. Doh!

Man, MySpace doesn't allow non-members to download music? I'll e-mail it to you if you want it.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 am

nobody_important wrote:Man, MySpace doesn't allow non-members to download music? I'll e-mail it to you if you want it.

That'd be cool, doggers at gmail mmkay? :)

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:01 pm

I bet (Read: hope) you dont give that email address to potential employers do you.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 pm

No. Although I'm not planning on changing jobs anytime soon.

Also, I'm not letting carpark-based deviant sexual behaviour make me lose a nickname I already had.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am

Sent!

I'm having way too much fun with my pretend band. I've got a new one up called "Tractor Beam", which is hopefully better because I spent more than two hours putting it together. Also, it has the only practical use I've found for the step function on my phase shifter so far. On the downside, I might have to find another time to record my bass tracks than 2AM... my neighbors just banged on the wall. Either that or figure out a way of keeping the pluck sounds from getting through the floor.

I also have a half-done album cover that I'm using as a placeholder on my Zune (so I can listen to my stuff at work and figure out how I want to change it that night instead of actually working.)

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Wed May 07, 2008 5:34 am

So I wrote / am writing a song about an elevator. An EVIL elevator. The problem is, I'm crap at coming up with names, and it's an instrumental so I can't cheat and just grab a lyric. The elevator is dark, and evil, and scary, and evil, and dark. It looks like this:

If there's one thing Silent Hill has taught me, it's that an elevator like that probably has things without faces living at the bottom. As a side note, it's way hard to take a cellphone picture of an evil, hellish elevator -- Hellivator, if you will -- when the owner of the store it's housed in is standing behind you trying to make you buy a lamp.

My current top choice, "Obsidian Elevator", is ok (I guess), but doesn't quite have the right ring to it. Also, it kind of sounds like an Eberron Campaign. Any ideas?

Miel
And the meek shall inherit the earth...

Postby Miel » Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 am

I personally like Hellivator :)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 am

Hellevator is the name of my favourite spot from skate. I always thought it had a nice ring to the name.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Wed May 07, 2008 8:31 am

Hellevator sounds like a Dethklok song.

Which is to say, awesome.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu May 08, 2008 6:10 am

Man, I knew when I typed it. That means I need to take the time to add extra hellishness.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 am

In fact, here's a fancy lad playing about on the Hellevator as an entry into a now-defunct PA video.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 am

So, uh... I forgot to tell everyone that I uploaded Black Elevator (I chickened out with the name) to filthy MySpace a few weeks ago. Yay.

Also, I found this article over the weekend, which makes me very happy indeed. I now have a way of getting sound effects into my music besides recording them on my cellphone, and my Mini-Disc player finally has a use beyond gathering dust in the bottom of my closet.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 am

So I uploaded a really rough track tonight, mostly because I need to put something up there, right? Also, I wanted to see what the filthy Ebow could do when it wasn't summoning Satan into the mortal realm. But it's really rough, and probably needs to be re-done. And mixed. And then recorded again.

Return to “Creative Thoughts”