with love and loathing/ Dave's link depot

Here there be (sleeping) tygers. And Kitchens of Distinction.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu May 20, 2004 2:04 am

Well... The Drudge Report link actually goes to somewhere called the Drudge Retort, and the Yahoo article linked isn't an actual article, just a newsletter type thing... So it's looking like a fake to me...

:rotate:

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Thu May 20, 2004 2:57 am

SporkAndrew wrote:Well... The Drudge Report link actually goes to somewhere called the Drudge Retort, and the Yahoo article linked isn't an actual article, just a newsletter type thing... So it's looking like a fake to me...

And the fact that the "yahoo" news site is really a newsgroup that also has this as an article http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1441&ncid=1441&e=7&u=/040519/234/726km.html
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu May 20, 2004 4:16 am

nobody_important wrote:Oh, that's not a good sign. Still, you've gotta love Bruce Campbell:

Bruce Campbell wrote:There's no way I'd be in it if I lost. No way. The good guy has to win, especially in that movie. You couldn't kill two whole franchises, but we could sure maim them.

It's not like they can make Freddy and Jason any worse, right?

I haven't been reading Swamp Thing, but every time John and Swamp Thing cross paths, it makes for entertaining reading. I'll have to see if I can snag some back issues. I suppose this isn't a good time to bring up who IMDB says will playing Jesse Custer. IMDB is a depressing fucking place this week.

Honestly, I'm not as nauseated by the possibility of James Marsden as Jesse Custer as I am by Keanu Reeves as Constantine.

It shouldn't be too hard to get back issues of ST; it's only been going for three issues now.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Eldoran
Sociable Minister

Postby Eldoran » Thu May 20, 2004 6:59 am

Just beat it, took less time than crimson room..... but very creepy.
Yes! Ah, Yes is a word with a glorious ring! A true universal utopious thing! Engenders embracing and chasing of blues! The very best word for the whole world to use!
-- Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D.

Sleepwalker
Ambuscader

Postby Sleepwalker » Thu May 20, 2004 11:08 pm

New Foamy the Squirrel (your lord and master) cartoon up today if anyone is interested. Foamy is strangely absent, though. Pilz-E is in it. That's always good.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu May 20, 2004 11:41 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Honestly, I'm not as nauseated by the possibility of James Marsden as Jesse Custer as I am by Keanu Reeves as Constantine.

Yeah, especially since (on further investigation), it looks like Garth Ennis has writing credits on the screenplay. Oh well, all they need is a really kickass Cassidy. He's the main reason I started reading Preacher.

I'll have to hit the comic place again tonight and see if I can find some back issues of Swamp Thing. I was already there today to pick up my subscriptions, but there were too many scary people there to browse comfortably.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri May 21, 2004 1:08 am

I think I'm the only man on earth who doesn't like Preacher.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri May 21, 2004 5:52 am

You are not alone.

Interesting post in that topic:

Sometimes this happens to comics i've read and enjoyed. I go back and they're really, really, really boring. These days I tend to think of Preacher as the adventures of three wholly unlikeable people, frequently punctuated with rants about what's wrong with the world these days. How to be a man for morons. Or something.

It's an off again/on again sentiment there.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri May 21, 2004 9:15 am

The way I see it, Preacher is saying "you can't live by the John Wayne/Old West morality any more - it's just not feasible." To which my response is - "Yeah. No shit." We're expected to feel sorry for Jesse Custer and whatsername (Was it Tulip? Something batshit like that) because they keep living by this long-dead, unrealistic moral code, and it keeps fucking them up. They know the reason, they talk about how this morality keeps screwing them over, and they do it anyway. That to me is just stupid. Cassidy was okay, but he got to be a whiny little pissant there towards the end. Also, the series has sweet fuckall for antagonists. The Allfather and the new Jesus are pathetic, The Saint of Killers more or less joined their side, and Starr was mangled to the point of nonexistence for the sake of "humor" that's only funny if you're eight. Everyone kept telling me, "Just read a little farther, read a little farther, it gets good," and then I finished the fucking series completely unable to understand the draw. As far as I can see, the draw consists entirely of jeuvenile bathroom humor combined with lots of silly, stupid, borderline slapstick violence. That's just not my book, I'm sorry.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri May 21, 2004 4:59 pm

Lobstrosity wrote:Perhaps here is where my complete and utter disinterest in comics proves useful.

Same here. None of this even bothers me. Although, Uwe Boll is going to screw up Alone in the Dark, so I'll just whine about that.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Sat May 22, 2004 3:15 pm

Amusing animation. Needs speakers.

(NSFW due to some choice words).

http://www.johnslife.com/
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun May 23, 2004 7:05 am

You, too, can be an enemy of the Christian Church. Find out how!

Here is me in a nutshell, apparently.

Heh... "Christ-hype". Yeah, I'm sure I'm high up on the Pope's hit-list... Strangely enough, I have gotten in trouble for poking my finger repeatedly.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun May 23, 2004 7:17 am

What's going on with the eyebrows?

Eldoran
Sociable Minister

Postby Eldoran » Sun May 23, 2004 8:42 am

100% Heretic baby! Well, I already knew this, so no big suprise.

Yes! Ah, Yes is a word with a glorious ring! A true universal utopious thing! Engenders embracing and chasing of blues! The very best word for the whole world to use!

-- Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D.

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Sun May 23, 2004 11:36 am

I like that math-test analogy.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun May 23, 2004 1:12 pm

...Sounds about right. Meh.

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Sun May 23, 2004 5:04 pm

Atheist

the cheat
Apprentice

Postby the cheat » Mon May 24, 2004 1:51 pm

i don't know if you guys remember boddah, but, he and another forumer have created some delicious comics for your consumption.

www.gloriousrobot.com

also, i don't know if you guys play battlefield vietnam, but, we have a private server running some custom maps. i'd love it if someone dropped by to say hello.
Edited by a dinosaur

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon May 24, 2004 2:21 pm

Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Mon May 24, 2004 5:16 pm

Nothing.
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Return to “The Vault”