Bunyip presents: Weekend Review!

Here there be (sleeping) tygers. And Kitchens of Distinction.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Bunyip presents: Weekend Review!

Postby Bunyip » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:12 pm

My lovely wife and I caught up with some pop culture on the weekend so here's some reviews, for your discussionistic pleasure.

About A Boy

When I first heard about this movie I deliberately avoided it due to the presence of Hugh Grant. I'm not really sure why this is -- he's shown in Four Weddings and a Funeral at least that he's a fine comic actor, and he shows it again here. In any case, I read the book in the meantime and was impressed. It was only recently that Gobo alerted me to the fact the the same author wrote "High Fidelity" so I might have to look for that too. Anyway, a very funny movie, although without some of the complexity of the book, naturally. The ending was a little too pat for my tastes but didn't spoil it at all, so the movie is highly recommended.

Bring It On

I was surprised to find this movie actually watchable. There's some very funny moments, as well as a lot of jokes that fall flat (they tend to be about blood and vomit and bodily functions, SURPRISE). I enjoyed the routines at the end as well. There's a lot of formula, and a huge helping of corn, but I wasn't painfully waiting for the movie to end as I might have expected.

Men In Black 2

Brain candy. Nothing really surprising but okay to watch. The funniest moments are surprisingly simple - Will Smith failing to be impressive while showing K around the base for example, or struggling out of a pile of plastic tubing as a clock counts down. Rosario Dawson was not given a personality except "be pretty" (which I'll admit she does rather well) and the romantic interests of the first movie were conveniently tossed aside, but I suppose you expect that.

The Sandman Volumes 2 and 3

I got the first volume for Christmas and was undecided, so I got these two as further research. Volume 2 is great, and has a well-structured story that fades in and out of the individual stories that make up the volume. Volume 3 was much shorter, with 4 stand-alone stories. The first and the last were more what I expect from comic books - introduce a character, bring in the hero, interact a little and resolve. It's stylish but not really engaging. The other two, one about cats and one about Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream", I liked better but you probably need to like the subject material in both cases. If the rest of the series is like the second volume I'll be interested in reading more.

We also bought Terry Pratchett's book "Night Watch" but I haven't started reading that yet.
Last edited by Bunyip on Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Re: Bunyip presents: Weekend Review!

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:27 pm

Bunyip wrote:Bring It On

I was surprised to find this movie actually watchable.

And the gyrations of one Eliza Dushku in a skimpy cheerleading outfit sure didn't hurt things.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:32 pm

Well besides the fact that it wasn't me that mentioned that High Fidelity was written by the same guy as About a Boy... I'd have to second your opinions on AAB and Bring it On :) I watched About a Boy a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it thoroughly... as for Bring it On I just remember that I enjoyed it... and yes Eliza Dushku helped things along a HELL of a lot :)

Damn you to hell for getting Sandman

And a double damn for falsely rembering about High Fidelity but conveniently forgetting me telling your about Night Watch ;)

BTW Night Watch is an EXCELLENT Pratchett book. (Generally redundant I know). It's a City Watch book which are my personal faves and you get to see a much different Vetinari, Colon, Nobby, and Vimes. It's also a lot darker (although they seem to be progressing that way...)

Kathy
Forum Jesus

Postby Kathy » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:35 pm

Mmmmm..metalica..

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:38 pm

Nick Hornby, damn fine author...
Get immortal, or die trying.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:39 pm

Gobo wrote:BTW Night Watch is an EXCELLENT Pratchett book. (Generally redundant I know). It's a City Watch book which are my personal faves and you get to see a much different Vetinari, Colon, Nobby, and Vimes. It's also a lot darker (although they seem to be progressing that way...)

I love that book. I'd say more, but it would probably spoil the plot. Anyway, I always figured Lord Downey was a real asshole when he was younger.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:43 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:And the gyrations of one Eliza Dushku in a skimpy cheerleading outfit sure didn't hurt things.

I didn't even know what she looked like until now. I can't say that the cheerleader outfits really did anything for any of them. The whole sequence at the start was almost anti-sexy, I was very relieved when it turned out to be a dream.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:55 pm

Bunyip wrote:The Sandman Volumes 2 and 3

I got the first volume for Christmas and was undecided, so I got these two as further research. Volume 2 is great, and has a well-structured story that fades in and out of the individual stories that make up the volume. Volume 3 was much shorter, with 4 stand-alone stories. The first and the last were more what I expect from comic books - introduce a character, bring in the hero, interact a little and resolve. It's stylish but not really engaging. The other two, one about cats and one about Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream", I liked better but you probably need to like the subject material in both cases. If the rest of the series is like the second volume I'll be interested in reading more.

In the grand scheme of Sandman, A Doll's House is good bout not stand-out good. The two most necessary story arcs are Season's of Mist and The Kindly Ones. I also quite like Brief Lives and A Game of You. Dream Country was... okay. A Midsummer Night's Dream was very good. I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm happy it won him the World Fantasy Award. The rest I was much less thrilled with, and I felt it was too short to really deserve being its own TBP. Still, it's worthwhile for Midsummer's alone, which allows Gaiman to make a nice bookend with The Tempest during the last book... what was it, The Wake? Something like that.

EDIT: Wait, was Muse in Dream Country? The one where he rapes Calliope? God, that was a hell of a story, too.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

water wings
Loquacious Evangelist

Postby water wings » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:40 pm

Thanks to "Bring it on" I have had "U. G. L. Y, you ain't need no alibi ..." stuck in my head all day...

What's with guys digging Eliza Dushku any way? I think she looks like a young Alanis Morisette - surely that's not a good thing?
I love Buny!

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:44 pm

Neurosis Whiny-Get?

No thanks. I'd rather jam my dick in a car door.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:45 pm

Which Sandman TPB was about Morpheus getting control of Hell? I think that one was my favorite book.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:49 pm

water wings wrote:What's with guys digging Eliza Dushku any way? I think she looks like a young Alanis Morisette - surely that's not a good thing?

I can't believe you just compared The Incredibly Hot Eliza to that whiney beeotch. Eliza Dushku is probably best known for her role on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She plays Faith, another slayer (Buffy died and got resurrected, that's why there are two now) who is quite the bad girl. Eventually she turns evil, and then it becomes a matter of watching Buffy and Faith fighting. Seeing two attractive girls fighting is a desire of males young and old that dates back to the firmament.

Fucking firmament!

Eliza has also been in other things, but her only good roles are all basically the same Faith bad girl role.

water wings
Loquacious Evangelist

Postby water wings » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:52 pm

She STILL looks like Alanis Morisette in my opinion.

I didn't find her attractive at all...
I love Buny!

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:55 pm

nobody_important wrote:Which Sandman TPB was about Morpheus getting control of Hell? I think that one was my favorite book.

Season's of Mist.

My fav is Kindly One's. But then, I'm morbid.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

toaster
Füture Kïng of Liechtënsteïn

Postby toaster » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:55 pm

I think she was the daughter in True Lies, I sincerly liked that film (though I don't have a clue why), but why didn't it end when that nuke went up, and the two kissed with the explosion in the background

I mean, what better ending do you want, it was a fucking nuke...
Get immortal, or die trying.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:00 am

water wings wrote:She STILL looks like Alanis Morisette in my opinion.

Buy season three of Buffy on dvd. Or better yet, have Bunyip buy it for you.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:06 am

Square721BT wrote:My fav is Kindly One's. But then, I'm morbid.

Vertigo just released The Furies, which is kind of a continuation of Lyta's story. It wasn't written by Gaiman, but it's still fairly decent.

water wings
Loquacious Evangelist

Postby water wings » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:14 am

Bag, that's not going to happen ...

I would watch Buffy for Alison Hannigan, but that's about it.
I love Buny!

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:21 am

She is a dreamboat, isn't she though?

water wings
Loquacious Evangelist

Postby water wings » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:50 am

Eliza or Alison, Bag?

If you're talking about Alison, then ...

Ummm ...

Yeah, I find the red hair and the freckles cute in an Anne of Green Gables-ish way ...
I love Buny!

Return to “The Vault”