Bunyip presents: Weekend Review!

Here there be (sleeping) tygers. And Kitchens of Distinction.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:45 pm

You're not missing much... well unless you like a good action flick, then you're missing the first one.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:58 am

I would think by now that everyone should know I do not watch any good movies.

So I took myself off of some of my anti-psychotic medication and now every time I move my eyes, it feels like my brain takes a spin. This is hell on driving.

I almost hit a child this afternoon.

Off medication:
fish bait / Toon Disney

Almost hitting a child:
I / missed

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:25 am

Why are you going off it? Did you tell your doctors first? Did they suggest it?

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:56 am

One, they are getting a trifle expensive. Two, my doctor keeps taking me off things, adding new things, and then refusing refills. Three, I really feel after taking some of them for years, they reached their potency peak. Four, I hate the doctor and I don't want to go back. Five, that's all I have.
No, I haven't told her, I will Tuesday. I've actually felt better since being off some of them, if you don't count the withdrawal symptoms. Monday, I get my physical and Tuesday I see the psych doctor. We'll see what happens. I may be back on random things then.
But really, it's the expense.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:33 am

Only bother seeing the first Matrix Movie, the others are unnecessary.
i before e except after a few beers

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:26 am

Eolh wrote:
Square721BT wrote:Matrix Revolutions

Finally got around to seeing this, and really enjoyed it. They fixed most of the problems that the second one had. The only real weakness was Keannu, and his lines were pretty mcuh kept to a minimum. Nicely done.

You're insane. That was the worst movie I saw last year by far.

Yeah, he must be fucking crazy for liking things and saying so...

[spoiler]I kid, I kid, don'tflipout[/spoiler]
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:16 pm

I just finished reading Children of Dune. It really irks me that there are so many spelling errors throughout the book. Looks like they just went through it with a spellchecker and left it at that.

I don't want to hear about Leto stealing sphincters and angry muttering coming from thongs.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:46 pm

I've noticed that that's been a serious problem lately with fantasy/sci fi books: really bad editting. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be getting worse.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:24 pm

The Stand (book)
human society / complex characters / emotion

The Stand (miniseries)
crappy CG / only major plot points / missing the point

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:31 pm

How is Irvine?

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:42 pm

Square721BT wrote:I've noticed that that's been a serious problem lately with fantasy/sci fi books: really bad editting. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be getting worse.

I don't know the figures but is it a dwindling market? Like with the comic book industry when sales either start shrinking or at least stop growing editors are the first thing to go. Too few editors on too many books to cut costs.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:43 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:How is Irvine?

I'M NOT BACK YET

Sunday.

I'm at home in the Bay Area right now.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:07 pm

Thorn wrote:Location: Irvine, CA

Lies!

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:29 pm

I didn't update that while I was in Europe, either! My credibility should've already been out the window!

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:10 am

Square721BT wrote:I've noticed that that's been a serious problem lately with fantasy/sci fi books: really bad editting. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be getting worse.

It's not something I've noticed with other books that I've read recently.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:53 pm

Eolh wrote:

I don't know the figures but is it a dwindling market? Like with the comic book industry when sales either start shrinking or at least stop growing editors are the first thing to go. Too few editors on too many books to cut costs.

Nah, it's actually growing.

Zsinj
I <3 Lions

Postby Zsinj » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:13 pm

Wow, Ithaca is a hoppin' place now! It turns out both The Arcade Fire and Ted Leo/The Pharmcists are coming here and playing in the same crappy community center. I'm confused and delighted!

10/10

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:01 am

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Do you like the old Fleischer Superman cartoons? Do you quiver at the mention of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon? Have you ever wanted to merge a plane with a submarine? Do you firmly believe that movies today don't have enough dashing heroes, plucky reporter heroines, and scientists with ominous German names? Then you'll probably enjoy Sky Captain. At its heart, Sky Captain is an old-style 1940's sci-fi cliffhanger. It's not a remake, it's not an update, and it doesn't attempt to "modernize" the genre. You get pretty much what you'd expect from a movie of that era: exaggerated lines, no blood, very little on-screen violence, and next to no innuendo (yes, I know, there was that one scene.)

The actors were all cast very well; Jude Law does a superb job as Sky Captain (Joe, to his friends.) Gwyneth Paltrow makes a very good (if slightly obsessive) reporter. Giovanni Ribisi is superb as Dex, the boy genius behind Joe's exploits (think Tom Swift), and Angelina Jolie is great as Frankie (for the entire fifteen minutes that she's on screen.) As an added bonus, Sir Lawrence Olivier makes a posthumous appearance as the great Professor Totenkopf (har har), an evil scientist bent on... doing something with robots that transform into planes. With a name like Totenkopf, he can't be up to any good, right?

And that's the entire plot in a nutshell. There aren't any big twists, and you pretty much know how it's going to end fifteen minutes into the movie, but that's ok because you're having so much fun. Yes, it's corny, and the actors tend to be overly dramatic, and you often wonder why a super genius would ever allow robots out on the streets that could be tipped over so easily, but you just don't care because it's so freaking cool. At the very least, it's a fun way to spend an afternoon.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:59 am

Zsinj wrote:Wow, Ithaca is a hoppin' place now!

Yeah, but we're getting a Hooters where a family restaurant used to be. Huzzah.

My uncle gets mad props for having introduced me to two very spectacular guitarists now; Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore. If these guys would get together with Les Claypool on bass and Dave Grohl on drums, I think I could finally die happy.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:22 am

Why Les Claypool and Dave Grohl? Les Claypool is a pretty damn technical bassist, and Dave Grohl (by his own admission) is best because he hits things real hard.

Return to “The Vault”