What Cha Playing Thread

Here there be (sleeping) tygers. And Kitchens of Distinction.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:36 pm

Bought Sims 2 yesterday, man this fucking game goes into detail sometimes.

Great
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:25 pm

I read a review of Sims 2. Doesn't sound like it brings enough to the table for me to check it out. Sims was fun, but it didn't take long for me to get burned out.

I'm looking forward to Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War or whatever. I couldn't get the damn demo to install though. Very frustrating.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:28 pm

Did it seem to hang while unpacking the setup files? I left it like that and had lunch, came back and it was ready to go.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:42 pm

What did you have for lunch? That could have been the deciding factor.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:45 pm

I don't undestand the appeal of the sims. I have a bathroom complete with toilet and bath, some small amount of furniture, a microwave and stove, and a job. I can recreate the Sims in real life, and do every fucking day. Why the hell I'd want to come home to relax by doing what I'm trying to relax from in a digital world baffles the fuck out of me.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Well, here's an example of the appeal. If you were, say Foo-byte, you could make a Sim of you and one of Mia then throw them together. Or any female forumer. Imagine the possibilities!

I didn't care for the restroom management aspect myself but trying to design a nice house/living space was fairly enjoyable.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:54 pm

I am seriously starting to have nightmares about girlfriends. Not exes, future girlfriends. Where I "fall in love" and everything's great and then suddenly they become demanding or controlling or they kill me. I don't want to imagine myself in a relationship, at all. Period. Not even in a fucking game.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Enraged Spouse hits Square721BT with a rather large wrench for 228 damage!

Square721BT is dead!

I think it was a sandwich, Dyna. Make sure it's toasted.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:27 pm

I ended up playing fucking Sims 2 until 4:30 am last night. Work is hell today.

I don't even know why I played the original Sims, let alone buy and play this one. Square's comments about the Sims being like real-life and therefore making it a less than ideal escape from real-life are all valid. I guess the draw is that it's much easier to affect change and succeed in a virtual-life than in real-life.

It's a fucking time-sink.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:06 pm

Dynagrip wrote:Well, here's an example of the appeal. If you were, say Foo-byte, you could make a Sim of you and one of Mia then throw them together. Or any female forumer. Imagine the possibilities!

Goddamn [ you ] tag!

Oh, wait! Yay me!!

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:12 pm

Yeah, I type out full names now because of that tag.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:00 pm

The main appeal of The Sims was to see how many people I could bury in the back yard. Well, that and the whole Mr. Bean sim that I made. He'd invite himself in, eat everything in the fridge, break the TV, and then sit on the toilet for days on end. Good times...

Fable is cool. I can see that the main quest is going to be pretty short, but I'm digging the game, and the amount of interaction they've packed in. My first title was Chicken Chaser (which I'm pretty sure is everyone's first title.) People would stand around behind my back making disparaging remarks about chicken chasing. At one point, I had a mustache that measured at least three feet across, which sent the villagers into paroxysms of laughter. They'd literally double over, unable to breathe because they were laughing so hard. Women screamed and ran away in terror, unable to cope with my hideous visiage. Someone suggested I apply for the post of Village Idiot. My barber yelled at me for picking such a horrible look.

I decided to do something about this, so I bought a full suit of black leather armor, completely shaved my head, mustache, and beard, and bought the Assassin title. I built up enough renown to use the "Manly Arm Pump" emote. I got a large scar across one eye, and a small tattoo on my face; it was the second attempt, actually... the first tattoo was so monumentally scary that I literally had to chase the tattoo artist across the level so that he could remove it again. When I walked back into town, everyone was in awe. There were hushed whispers of "assassin", and "definitely looks the part." Women swooned before my Manly Arm Pump emote. People cowered, and then cheered when I held up my latest trophy. I was clearly The Man. The effect was somewhat spoiled when a small girl informed me that she would name her guinea pig "assassin", but I suppose that's part of being famous.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:03 pm

Fable sounded interesting except for the whole buying titles and alignment thing.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 pm

I think it's the buying titles and alignment thing that helps keep it from being another standard RPG. I'm glad that people for once cower away from you if they just watched you, I don't know, kill everyone they love. KOTOR claims to do that sort of thing and doesn't really.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:23 pm

Well, I liked the ideas of the titles and alignment, but it sounded like you could just buy them as well, which seems like a cheap shortcut and would keep the game from being too immersive. Anyway, I've only read one wishy-washy review from Gamespot, so I doubt I have a solid grasp of the game.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Yeah, you can buy good/evil points at the two temples in the game, which is sort of corny. I've pretty much decided not to use them, and just let my character progress naturally. You can also buy titles, but they're slightly more complicated. There are three ratings for your character's alignment: good/evil, scariness, and attractiveness. These ratings are affected by the deeds you perform, the emotes you use, and the clothes/tattoos/hair styles you wear. The combined score also picks your percieved character type, which may or may not match your title. For example, if you buy the name "Assassin", and then run around with a Trader Style Mustache in your underoos farting on random things, people won't necessarily believe you're an assassin. If you pick the name "Arseface", though, people will be more inclined to believe you.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:47 pm

Dynagrip wrote:Fable sounded interesting except for the whole buying titles and alignment thing.

It sounds like more of a debug tool that the developers threw in there for testing character appearance and NPC perception, but then they ended up just leaving in there for some reason. Hopefully I won't have to use it much, or even at all, when I eventually get the game.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:20 am

I'm guessing it's blowback from Black and White. Anyone who played that game knows how fucking impossible it was to be good.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:33 am

My ex and I played the same character and all the while I was trying to make our creature good, she was throwing people in the water.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:31 am

I tended to sacrifice villagers for a mana boost. Other than that I was pretty benevolent.

Return to “The Vault”