Forum downtime

Rules, tests, complaints, suggestions, and crackerbreads.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Forum downtime

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Just to let you know what barely passes for 'normal' service will be disrupted even more so than usual over the coming weekend, when your's truly updates the host server to something a bit more modern and well, secure.

Hopefully this will only take an hour or two, but you know me...
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Be honest, is it shellshock?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 am

Actually, no - though it's a fair assumption.

It's on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and is fully patched-up as far as that stuff goes (2 patches in the last couple of days I think). It's just I want to move that VM up to 14.04 or whatever the current LTS is; I'm doing a bunch of decrufting and reorgansing on the Mac Mini that hosts that VM, everything else here is more recent than 10.04 and I don't want to keep carrying around a 10.04 if I can help it :-)
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Well congrats on being the guy who patches BASH! I knew there had to be one somewhere.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 am

:-) thanks

And apologies for today's downtime, if anyone noticed. I had some unexpected broadband issues at the house and it wiped everything out between about 10am and 4pm, GMT.

Basts.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Quick, keep talking to him about it, this is the most Rob's posted in ages! :lol:
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm

<3

I perfectly understand the life balance reasons, but Rob, know that you are loved and missed.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:04 pm

It's a sad indictment of where our world has gone that I initially looked for some kind of 'Like' or 'Favourite' button on those 2 posts.... :-)

Not all progress is good, kids.

Not all progress is good.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Rob wrote:It's a sad indictment of where our world has gone that I initially looked for some kind of 'Like' or 'Favourite' button on those 2 posts.... :-)

Not all progress is good, kids.

Not all progress is good.

I do that all the time. It's shameful.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 pm

They added a "like" button on another forum I'm on... I have very mixed feelings about it.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Real life got in the way this weekend people, sorry. I will try to pick a time over the next few days when people seem to be elsewhere and hopefully it will be over and done before you know it. :-)

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Gobo wrote:They added a "like" button on another forum I'm on... I have very mixed feelings about it.

I've always wondered why Facebook doesn't have a 'dislike' button.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm

The like button is just painfully awkward at times. When a friend posts a "yet another cop has murdered yet another unarmed black man" story, I feel a bit odd hitting 'like' on something like that...

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:The like button is just painfully awkward at times. When a friend posts a "yet another cop has murdered yet another unarmed black man" story, I feel a bit odd hitting 'like' on something like that...

Oh absolutely, the solidarity like is always a little weird.

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Yup, what you both said.

Rob
Oh yes.

Re: Forum downtime

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:55 am

Sorry about the recent downtime folks. We got an update at our house from really crappy slow old copper broadband to fibre (well, fibre to the cabinet a few hundred yards down the road). We get about 37Mbps down and around 8Mbps up now, so hopefully all the slowness you'll see now will be down to my crappy Linux VM rather than the comms.

I work on VPNs to my clients all day long and my heavily configured VPN router wouldn't work with the fibre connection, so I had to order a new fibre modem (I couldn't get my day-job VPNs to work using the new router the ISP provided). In a perfect storm of bad timing, this all happened on my birthday - immediately after the fibre installation we went away for 4 days on a long weekend break, then I came back to a series of days when I had to be out of the office for the day...

So, sorry for the downtime (I think technically it was over a week and that's the longest ever). Hopefully I'm not howling into the void right now...

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm

You're back!

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 pm

It's a sad sign of the times that I read Bag's "You're back!" and immediately look to hit 'like'..... :-)

pablo banquo liked this

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm

The forum, she back!

Return to “Feedback”